concerned about lack of extracurricular experience and lors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
misc

concerned about lack of extracurricular experience and lors

Postby misc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:31 pm

I'm planning on applying to law schools towards the end of this year, and I'm worried about a couple of things that could pose problems during the application process.

One, I really have not engaged in any extracurricular activities. I go home to India each summer to visit my parents and family, so I haven't been able to take advantage of that time. But, I should also admit that I could have exerted myself more and done something constructive while in school and unfortunately, just chose not to. And two, I attend a rather large public university, and I haven't been able to establish meaningful relationships with any of my professors. I'm the sort of student who sits in the back and remains quiet. I don't know of two professors who would know me close enough to write substantive letters of recommendation for me.

I guess the one thing I have going for me is a decent GPA (3.8), and I'm hopeful of getting a good score on the LSAT. But, I'm concerned about how those two issues will affect my application. I'm going to stay here this summer and try to find some type of volunteer work to do. But, would two or three months of volunteer service look any better on the resume than none at all? I also intend to talk to my professors and go to office hours in the coming quarter to see if I can find two that will write something for me. But, even then, they would only have known me for about three months, and would they able to write anything of substance?

I would really appreciate suggestions or just opinions on how much of a negative impact not having much (or any) extracurricular experience and good LORs could have on an application. Thanks.

twopoodles

Re: concerned about lack of extracurricular experience and lors

Postby twopoodles » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:20 pm

I think it really depends on which schools you are applying to. The top schools are extremely competitive and having nothing extra is definitely going to put you behind people with similiar numbers. Outside of the top 14, though, I think the GPA and LSAT are it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Get a great LSAT score and you should be fine. Softs mainly help differentiate people with similar numbers, but that's about it. They're probably not going to make or break your app unless you cured cancer, won a Pulitzer, are a published author, etc.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:35 pm

I got into Columbia on a great score and solid GPA and nothing much else.

My resume was as barren as a desert.

Make sure you figure out who your LoR writers are, that cost me some time in my cycle along with figuring out my PS theme.

bees

Postby bees » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:44 pm

I think a PS/DS about your summers in India can be just as valuable as working random jobs each summer.

pa.wink

Postby pa.wink » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:36 pm

One, I really have not engaged in any extracurricular activities.

On my applications/resume I listed literally nothing for the months I've been out of undergrad and some (clearly) meaningless activities during undergrad. With your GPA, you will do fine with a good LSAT score and personal statement.

I don't know of two professors who would know me close enough to write substantive letters of recommendation for me. . . . I also intend to talk to my professors and go to office hours in the coming quarter to see if I can find two that will write something for me. But, even then, they would only have known me for about three months, and would they able to write anything of substance?

Of the three professors I asked for letters, the two I only worked with senior year were happy to do it and (I think) wrote me really good ones. The professor I had worked with since sophomore year on multiple research projects had already forgotten me by September and still hasn't sent a letter to LSAC (not that I need it at this point).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”