Financial Aid Question: Federal Work Study Program Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mhd08

Bronze

Financial Aid Question: Federal Work Study Program

Post by mhd08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:42 pm

As part of my financial aid package from one school, I was offered the Federal Work Study Program. Does anyone have experience with this, or know anything about it? I'll be a full time student, so I'm wondering how much time it demands and if it's a good idea, especially since I've heard working during 1L is usually a bad idea.

sundevil77

Bronze

Re: Financial Aid Question: Federal Work Study Program

Post by sundevil77 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:45 pm

I've heard that most schools require or strongly suggest that you don't work during 1L. The Federal Work Aid question comes up on the Georgetown app and I marked not applying. I don't think it will hurt your financial aid decision to not apply. You can probably change your mind later if you really want to pursue it.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:44 pm

I figured it's not a good idea to work. I'm just wondering if they take the fact that you're a 1L into consideration when determining what work you're going to do and how many hours you'll be working. I checked it off on my FAFSA, but depending on how intense it is I may tell them I'm not interested.

Tuski

New

Post by Tuski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:51 pm

mhd08 wrote:As part of my financial aid package from one school, I was offered the Federal Work Study Program. Does anyone have experience with this, or know anything about it? I'll be a full time student, so I'm wondering how much time it demands and if it's a good idea, especially since I've heard working during 1L is usually a bad idea.
When did you submit your FAFSA/what school did you already receive your fin. aid package from? I submitted my FAFSA 2/9/10, and my SAR was emailed to me that same week, but haven't heard anything from a single school...

flowylime

New

Post by flowylime » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Well, you'll be in charge of earning the amount of work study that you are offered, so it is really up to you to find a job and earn the work study. It's not like a grant or a loan, instead you'll get a paycheck based on hours you work each week or two weeks. For example, if you get offered $2000 in work study, you would have to work 200 for $10 per hour to earn the whole thing. Work study is beneficial in that when you fill out next year's FAFSA, they ask if your earnings came from work study and they make an adjustment for that (as opposed to regular, non-work study earnings).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Tuski wrote:
mhd08 wrote:As part of my financial aid package from one school, I was offered the Federal Work Study Program. Does anyone have experience with this, or know anything about it? I'll be a full time student, so I'm wondering how much time it demands and if it's a good idea, especially since I've heard working during 1L is usually a bad idea.
When did you submit your FAFSA/what school did you already receive your fin. aid package from? I submitted my FAFSA 2/9/10, and my SAR was emailed to me that same week, but haven't heard anything from a single school...
I submitted on 1/19 and received the package from Rutgers, but right now it's just an initial offer. It won't be finallized until my taxes are filed. This is the only school I've heard from so far.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:04 pm

flowylime wrote:Well, you'll be in charge of earning the amount of work study that you are offered, so it is really up to you to find a job and earn the work study. It's not like a grant or a loan, instead you'll get a paycheck based on hours you work each week or two weeks. For example, if you get offered $2000 in work study, you would have to work 200 for $10 per hour to earn the whole thing. Work study is beneficial in that when you fill out next year's FAFSA, they ask if your earnings came from work study and they make an adjustment for that (as opposed to regular, non-work study earnings).
Thanks for the response, that's good to know. I was offered $4000... I'm not sure if I'm going to take advantage of this or not, I need to determine if it'll take away too much time from studying.

Kristenastewart

New

Post by Kristenastewart » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:00 am

Studying is an important period of life. Education obtained at the university is a crucial element in providing yourself suitable future. Although education is free, studying may be expensive. Some of the students have to work and earn money on their own. It is often caused by financial problems. Working and studying at the same time is hard because of harming education,stress and no free time.
Firstly, working may affect academic studies.The main purpose of studying is to focus on getting scientific knowledge which will help in student's further job. So if a student wants to receive enough education, he should spend all his time on studying. Working several hours a day consumes a lot of time and energy so student who comes back home after his classes and work, can not be fully concentrated on gaining new knowledge. Lack of time and tiredness after work makes, that student can not assimilate all the knowledge that he needs for his next classes.

High School Diploma

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”