Was there something wrong with my application??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trojanfan06

Was there something wrong with my application??

Postby trojanfan06 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:45 pm

My gpa was ~3.7 and lsat of 171 (retake after 165). I am in at DCNG, waitlisted at 3 of 4 out of MPVB (out at one), and waitlisted at CC (no response from NYU although I'm expecting a ding or WL now). I applied early around October and I am a re-applicant. Not sure what to think...

Flanker1067

Re: Was there something wrong with my application??

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:48 pm

This doesn't make any sense. That is not unusual at all. I am one a thousand people in the same spot....

jackster2

Postby jackster2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:50 pm

This is nuts. Time to do something useful and blow off law. It's a waste of talent anyway. WL nearly everywhere with 170/3.8.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:51 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:My gpa was ~3.7 and lsat of 171 (retake after 165). I am in at DCNG, waitlisted at 3 of 4 out of MPVB (out at one), and waitlisted at CC (no response from NYU although I'm expecting a ding or WL now). I applied early around October and I am a re-applicant. Not sure what to think...

Ya you already got in at Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, and Georgetown and are potentially in at 5 of Michigan, Penn, Virginia, Berkeley, Columbia, and Chicago.

You're right. Your application must have sucked :roll:

trojanfan06

Postby trojanfan06 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 pm

James Bond wrote:
trojanfan06 wrote:My gpa was ~3.7 and lsat of 171 (retake after 165). I am in at DCNG, waitlisted at 3 of 4 out of MPVB (out at one), and waitlisted at CC (no response from NYU although I'm expecting a ding or WL now). I applied early around October and I am a re-applicant. Not sure what to think...

Ya you already got in at Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, and Georgetown and are potentially in at 5 of Michigan, Penn, Virginia, Berkeley, Columbia, and Chicago.

That's not what I meant but compared to last year I think I would have been in at least 2 of the 4 of MPVB and possibly 1 of CCN. Maybe I just had expectations that were too high. If I came off as whining or ungrateful that was not my intention at all.

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 pm

James Bond wrote:

lol

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:57 pm

If it makes you feel better, I feel I have a pretty strong app. I want to believe this because I was at held at harvard and columbia (so not quite a WL) and I was accepted at NYU. However, I was waitlisted at Penn, Michigan, Virginia, and Chicago and I was dinged from Berkeley. I got $$ from Duke. I think schools are a lot more concerned with their yield this year...heartfelt LOCI's may be more important than in years past.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 pm

I really don't think it has anything to do with their yield. They simply have a huge increase in the number applicants, they can't grow their class sizes that fast so the standards are going up.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 pm

While I'm not sure your should be panicked considering your acceptances so far, if you are that concerned, pull up your applications on LSAC and make sure there isn't some huge error.

Best of luck!

trojanfan06

Postby trojanfan06 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:02 pm

TheWire wrote:If it makes you feel better, I feel I have a pretty strong app. I want to believe this because I was at held at harvard and columbia (so not quite a WL) and I was accepted at NYU. However, I was waitlisted at Penn, Michigan, Virginia, and Chicago and I was dinged from Berkeley. I got $$ from Duke. I think schools are a lot more concerned with their yield this year...heartfelt LOCI's may be more important than in years past.

A valid point but that's why I wrote all the "why x" essays, even for some schools that did not require them. I guess time to fire up those LOCI's and cross my fingers...

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:03 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:
James Bond wrote:

That's not what I meant but compared to last year I think I would have been in at least 2 of the 4 of MPVB and possibly 1 of CCN. Maybe I just had expectations that were too high. If I came off as whining or ungrateful that was not my intention at all.

Oooh this is new for this site. My apologies then.

Whoever said that this year there is a huge increase in applicants is right though. I'd be pumped about D, N, and G though and I think a good number of your waitlists will pan out, although I know you're probably stressed about it. Just wait and see, you know, you can never be too sure. You could get in at Columbia off the WL and get dinged at M, P, and B for all you know. Admissions are strange sometimes.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:06 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I really don't think it has anything to do with their yield. They simply have a huge increase in the number applicants, they can't grow their class sizes that fast so the standards are going up.

If you say so, but I'm above medians at every school that I mentioned that WL at. It seems that the better schools are considering me more and the schools that think I won't yield are waitlisting me (in, what I would at least like to look at, a yield protection manner). I am not trying to sound entitled, but the only school that yield probably did not factor into was Chicago. According to Law school predictor's index numbers, my index was higher than 70-80% of the admitted students at the schools who waitlisted me. The main reason, however, that I feel the WL's came due to yield protection is the fact that I actually would not have considered visiting any of those schools. Because I may not be qualified to receive $$$ from those schools, and I have better options at sticker, I think they don't choose to take a gamble on me. Adcomms are smart and have an idea of which students are actually interested in attending their school...

...just my $.02
Last edited by TheWire on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Not to highjack this thread, but with a 3.77 and a 171, out at Berkeley, WL at Duke and GULC, I'm thinking I have it way worse than the OP.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:09 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:Not to highjack this thread, but with a 3.77 and a 171, out at Berkeley, WL at Duke and GULC, I'm thinking I have it way worse than the OP.

Sorry to hear this...the cons of a late application perhaps...

bignoseknowsnoes

Postby bignoseknowsnoes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

This gives a possible answer to your predicament.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:13 pm

bignoseknowsnoes wrote:This gives a possible answer to your predicament.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

What is this 2007? At least link to the Hitler law applications spoof from "Downfall"

bignoseknowsnoes

Postby bignoseknowsnoes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:14 pm

James Bond wrote:
bignoseknowsnoes wrote:This gives a possible answer to your predicament.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

What is this 2007? At least link to the Hitler law applications spoof from "Downfall"

Ironically dated material for effect.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:15 pm

bignoseknowsnoes wrote:
James Bond wrote:

Ironically dated material for effect.

ya ya I know downfall's from 2004 haha at least it's relevant to the thread :wink:

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:22 pm

TheWire wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:Not to highjack this thread, but with a 3.77 and a 171, out at Berkeley, WL at Duke and GULC, I'm thinking I have it way worse than the OP.

Sorry to hear this...the cons of a late application perhaps...

Likely yes.

GlobeTrotter

Postby GlobeTrotter » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:31 pm

James Bond wrote:
trojanfan06 wrote:
James Bond wrote:

I think a good number of your waitlists will pan out

Is it that common to get off a waitlist? Any #'s on this? Thanks

also +1 for rickroll

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”