Three choices: Michigan, Duke and Northwestern

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which one at sticker?

Duke
12%
Northwestern
24%
Michigan
64%

Total votes: 76

MorningHood

Three choices: Michigan, Duke and Northwestern

Postby MorningHood » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm

It looks like I'll be going to one of the three at sticker: Duke, NU, and Mich.

I really don't have any regional preference - I just want to get the best job possible. In what ways is Michigan superior to the other two? I'm somewhat concerned about the school's crappy lay prestige. I'm also worried that Michigan might not hold its ranking in the future...

Jay-Electronica

Re: Three choices: Michigan, Duke and Northwestern

Postby Jay-Electronica » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:18 pm

MorningHood wrote:It looks like I'll be going to one of the three at sticker: Duke, NU, and Mich.

I really don't have any regional preference - I just want to get the best job possible. In what ways is Michigan superior to the other two? I'm somewhat concerned about the school's crappy lay prestige. I'm also worried that Michigan might not hold its ranking in the future...

:roll:

jackster2

Postby jackster2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:20 pm

I think Michigan has very good lay prestige. I knew a guy that graduated from Andover Phillips academyand they only recognized 3 public schools as "Ivy equivalents". They were Mich, Berkeley and Wisc. (This was 30 yrs ago so Wis. has since bottomed out). But Mich is still very highly regarded, even in the east.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Grats hyolee.

MorningHood

Postby MorningHood » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:23 pm

MC Southstar wrote:Grats hyolee.

I know, she's lovely. I wonder what she smells like in the morning.

MorningHood

Postby MorningHood » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
MorningHood wrote:It looks like I'll be going to one of the three at sticker: Duke, NU, and Mich.

:roll:

I guess I change my mind on that part... I'm almost considering the summer start program at Michigan. It seems pretty cool to graduate early.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Michigan has slightly more national placement than the other 2, with grads going to the largest markets of NYC, Chicago, California, and DC. Duke grads go to NYC, DC, California, Atlanta, and Texas, and NU mainly places in Chicago and NYC. Michigan also has more legal prestige, and has an edge in academic hiring.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:19 am

MorningHood wrote: I'm almost considering the summer start program at Michigan. It seems pretty cool to graduate early.

A plus with summer start is that you have the opportunity to take more GPA boosting electives your third semester before 2L OCI. (Many of the upper divs (electives) do not have a curve and the vast majority of people's GPAs go up when they start taking upper div courses.)

Michigan has slightly more national placement than the other 2, with grads going to the largest markets of NYC, Chicago, California, and DC. Duke grads go to NYC, DC, California, Atlanta, and Texas, and NU mainly places in Chicago and NYC. Michigan also has more legal prestige, and has an edge in academic hiring.

+1, I chose Michigan over Duke for various reasons, including these and because I like Ann Arbor more than Durham. (I did not apply to Northwestern.)

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:29 pm

personally, i've always been a huge fan of Duke, so I, personally, would choose them no-brainer.

For a more objective outlook, however:

I have a few friends that are UGs at Michigan, and they've all enjoyed their time up there, but they said that after 4 years, they just absolutely have to get out of ann arbor. so consider whether you're willing to live there for 3 years, given the setting and other minor stuff like the weather (weather a minor issue for NU as well--just depends on if you mind it)

I've done a good amount of research online (but admittedly not completely thorough) and it just seems to me like michigan DOES have less lay prestige, as the OP suggested. however, lay prestige and job opportunities in the real world don't exactly correlate, but Duke and NU both do seem to be more "prestigious"...for what it's worth

make sure you factor in the cost of living in ann arbor, durham, and evanston when you're choosing, b/c that could be a factor as well.

personally, again, i just like Duke the best -- but there are factors for YOU of which I have no knowledge

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:33 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:

make sure you factor in the cost of living in ann arbor, durham, and evanston when you're choosing, b/c that could be a factor as well.

Northwestern Law is in downtown Chicago....NOT Evanston....in the Streeterville neighborhood. Significantly higher COL than Ann Arbor or Durham.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Michigan

DOOM

Postby DOOM » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:37 pm

MorningHood wrote:
I guess I change my mind on that part... I'm almost considering the summer start program at Michigan. It seems pretty cool to graduate early.

wait...im confused. were you admitted to Michigan summer start? and fall start for Duke? or can all Michigan admits opt to start either in the summer or fall?

also, my two cents, pick the schools based on your personal preferences regarding quality of life. Michigan probably has the best name in the legal world and is the best for placement in academia. It may arguably have the most geographically diverse placement as well (with everyone looking to get out of ann arbor/michigan when they graduate). But both Duke and NU have excellent job prospects, and if you don't care about geography, it shouldn't matter much.

But there will be a big difference between living in the best city in the world (Chicago biased) versus living in the collegetowns of Ann Arbor or Durham. And forget about the NC weather, its not THAT much better and you should enjoy the seasons anyways! :D

congrats on your acceptances.

DOOM

Postby DOOM » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:45 pm

also, i am pretty confident Michigan will not be ranked any lower than #9 anytime in the near future.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”