Other Graduate Work Admit Consideration

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jthu

Other Graduate Work Admit Consideration

Postby jthu » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:04 pm

I have a MS in Education Technology. My GRADUATE GPA was 3.98. I can't seem to find any information on how much this will weigh in my application(s). I understand that the weight might change from school to school, but in general, it seems illogical for schools to not consider my graduate work.

Does anyone have and general input on how much weight graduate work/degree/GPA holds?

Thank you!

cardinalandgold

Re: Other Graduate Work Admit Consideration

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Your graduate degree and GPA will probably be seen as a "soft factor" and will most likely not impact your admissions chances in a noticeable way.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:14 pm

The grad degree is a soft. The GPA is irrelevant (unless it's terrible) because most grad schools operate on a significant curve (B+ or so).

EzraStiles

Postby EzraStiles » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Graduate work tends not to be looked at because it usually provides heavily inflated gpas without the same diversity of either material or peers. Sorry but it's true that your Masters is but another soft factor, not too hugely influencing your decision.

jthu

Postby jthu » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like a graduate degree would be evidence that I can succeed in graduate work, but I supposed that sort of evidence is soft, just as you are describing.

The good news is that my graduate degree has opened up massive career paths that have added to my resume and that puts more soft evidence on the plate.

Seriously, thank you for your input.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:36 pm

On a similar note I started my Ph. D in physics and received C's due to a family matter and consequently had to drop out to work ending my graduate career. Now i'm applying for law school and wondering if I should highlight that I was accepted into the program to begin with or minimize it due to the poor results. Any insight would be appreciated!

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:29 pm

LockBox wrote:On a similar note I started my Ph. D in physics and received C's due to a family matter and consequently had to drop out to work ending my graduate career. Now i'm applying for law school and wondering if I should highlight that I was accepted into the program to begin with or minimize it due to the poor results. Any insight would be appreciated!

Minimize, but include a brief addendum regarding the circumstances.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”