What needs to change on a reapply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
luhrenzo

What needs to change on a reapply?

Postby luhrenzo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 pm

So im just starting hear back from schools but the news so far has been dispiriting. It's looking like im gonna be sitting out a yr or 2 and reapplying.

I'm sure this post has been asked before, but what do i change the second go around, (LOR, PS), other than my LSAT score. Do my LOR and PS need to be updated?

ConsideringLawSchool

Re: What needs to change on a reapply?

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:26 am

luhrenzo wrote:So im just starting hear back from schools but the news so far has been dispiriting. It's looking like im gonna be sitting out a yr or 2 and reapplying.

I'm sure this post has been asked before, but what do i change the second go around, (LOR, PS), other than my LSAT score. Do my LOR and PS need to be updated?

Well, I'm assuming that your GPA is sealed (that you've graduated). Retake LSAT. Do something amazing with the time that will create impressive softs. Write a PS that reflects what you've done. As for the LORs, that may be tough since they like academic ones (unless you go back to school). Maybe add one from your work experience over the next couple years. Of course, if you didn't read them and think LORs may have been part of the problem, you could try others.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29 am

And dont get discouraged. I'm a reapplicant- didnt get in anywhere before, and have some tough choices to make this time around, 2 years later.

Really do something interesting with the next 1-3 years if possible, work abroad, or work in an industry you wouldnt otherwise. (I know someone who went and become a firefighter just for the hell of it for 4 years then finally decided to go to law school), enjoy yourself, reload on LORs, retake the LSAT reapply and enjoy whatever school you get in and go to.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:34 am

The PS and LORs would have to be pretty bad to make much of a difference. It's probably your LSAT and/or GPA holding you back.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 am

At least one school I looked into required that your personal statement and LORs be different on a reapply. I'd send a preliminary e-mail to the admissions office asking if they have any specific requirements.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”