Classes to Visit During Admitted Students Weekend

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goober88

Classes to Visit During Admitted Students Weekend

Postby goober88 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:09 pm

I am going to be attending the Harvard Law admitted students weekend and they give you an option of courses to sit in on to get a feel for the school. I was wondering if there is any advice on how to choose which class to attend. I know that clearly if something particularly relates to the kind of law you would like to focus on, then that is the class you should go to. I do not see anything of that sort on the list and wondered if there is some staple class I should be going to check out, or if I should base it on teacher reputations etc. Any input would be appreciated.

twopoodles

Re: Classes to Visit During Admitted Students Weekend

Postby twopoodles » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:49 am

I literally picked the class that sounded the most boring (not at freakin' Harvard, though, I will admit) and it turned out that professor was most students favorite and not the least bit boring, so while it was an enjoyable visit, it didn't really answer my question of just how bad law school might be. :)

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:00 am

Sitting in on a first year course with 60+ students being cold called (contracts, torts, conlaw, civil procedure, criminal law or procedure, and property are the typical fare) will be different than sitting in on a seminar about Islamic law with 15 students having a roundtable discussion.

Neither is better or worse, but if it were me I'd prefer to see what I'll be experiencing during my first year. Plus, at least here at NU, I think the atmosphere of a section class will really give you an idea of the collegial/competitive nature of the school you are visiting (or at least of one of the sections there since every section is a little different)

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 am

twopoodles wrote:I literally picked the class that sounded the most boring (not at freakin' Harvard, though, I will admit) and it turned out that professor was most students favorite and not the least bit boring, so while it was an enjoyable visit, it didn't really answer my question of just how bad law school might be. :)

I sat in on "the regulatory state" class at vandy and wanted to gouge my eyes out it was so damned boring....maybe you should make the trip over to nashville and sit in on that class,

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”