Waitlisted at American

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tadams86

Waitlisted at American

Postby tadams86 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 pm

I was waitlisted last week at American, and I really think this is my top choice. However, thumbing through previous threads I have found that it takes FOREVER to get off this waitlist. My numbers are 2.71 (with an addendum)/159, strong LORs and PS. Anyway, I have been told by a former USC Law prof. that sending e-mails and basically being a pest is the best way to get off the waitlist. I am not going to schedule a visit because I am in CA, and that is just too far away. I have been accepted to my safeties, and am waiting on two other "reach" schools. Any advice?

shock259

Re: Waitlisted at American

Postby shock259 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:47 pm

I got waitlisted there with a 3.4/161. I have a strong PS and good LOR's as well. You have an uphill climb.

Write a good LOCI and hope for the best.

As for being a pest, I don't think that is going to make you friends with adcomms anywhere.

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:59 pm

Ya that is what I figure. Im new to the whole lingo in here so forgive me, what is LOCI? I plan to email them and tell them it is my number one, if I get admitted I will go for sure.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:02 pm

tadams86 wrote:Im new to the whole lingo in here so forgive me, what is LOCI?

Norse god of tricks.

/letter of continued interest

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 pm

Odds are that you will not have to worry about how the "chicken tastes at American Law" this fall.

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 pm

thanks...e-mail would be the best way I am assuming? How long should I wait to send it, now or like 2 weeks?

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Odds are that you will not have to worry about how the "chicken tastes at American Law" this fall.

Thanks for the encouragement....

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:23 am

I actually went through admissions two years ago, got accepted and waitlisted to a bunch of schools, and got off the waitlist at my number one choice. (I then subsequently decided not to go, did my masters in engineering, retook the LSAT and am reapplying to better schools this fall).

Point being, this is what I did that seemed to work: I basically sent them an email every three weeks to a month or so, updating them on what I was working on, my academic performance (if there was a significant upward trend during my last semester senior year), and anything else I thought would show myself as a strong law school candidate that was NEW. If you don't think you'll have anything new to tell them over the next few weeks/months, go get something. Join clubs, run for president of an organization, hell--start a company, do whatever it takes to have something mindblowing and groundbreaking to tell them in each email. Like you, I was on the lower LSAT side of the school. They seemed to like the updates, my interest, and in May I got off the waitlist.

I did it all through email, and sent my first email within a week of being waitlisted telling them I intended to stay on the waitlist as the school was my number one choice, etc etc.

I would make these emails no longer than a paragraph, though. Don't want to flood them with reading and annoy them.

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:51 am

Probably the most helpful information yet, thank you very much! Exactly what I was looking for.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”