How many point is worth waiting until next cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lynnzee

How many point is worth waiting until next cycle?

Postby lynnzee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi, I have a 3.11 UG, 2 years work experience in related field, and a 167 LSAT. I had a root canal the day before the LSAT so I retook in February, and I felt I did much better. My PT avg was about a 174.

Thus far this cycle, my top choices that I've been accepted at are WUSTL, Minn, W&M, and UIUC. All except for W&M are giving me money, with UIUC giving me a full scholarship. I am still waiting to hear from UVA, Gtown, and Northwestern.

I've posted in "What are my chances" and the overwhelming response was if I do hit that 170-173 (or even higher!) point, I should reapply next cycle as I can get in a better school.

Considering my low GPA, and the fact that I will be quitting this particular position no matter the outcome of the score come summer, (and therefore if I apply next cycle I will have to fill some time) what score on the Feb LSAT will be worth waiting another cycle for?

Illini372

Re: How many point is worth waiting until next cycle?

Postby Illini372 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:46 pm

With the GPA, probably 171-172 and up, might not be a bad idea anyway with how shitty the economy is.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:55 pm

If you're still waiting on T14's, they're probably waiting to see your Feb score before making a decision. So you might very well get an acceptance this cycle, or get off a waitlist late in the cycle. As for waiting a year, it depends if you'd take a T14 at sticker over UIUC with a full ride.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:56 pm

I'm in a similar situation, 166 LSAT and 3.35 GPA. Was actually able to study properly this time and felt much better. I am torn between waiting until next year (gah) or trying to use my hopefully higher score to leverage more scholly money out of my existing acceptances. Cant wait for my score so I can stop thinking so much about this and have some real facts hah.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 pm

UIUC is a very good school and a full scholly there is not something to take lightly. Since you don't have a job lined up I would probably take it. Obviously if you get into UVA or Northwestern you should go this year.
If you don't get into any T14s and you get a 173+ and you get a job lined up then I would consider waiting a year. What are you going to do with yourself for a year with no job. You won't have to prep for the LSAT. There are plenty of things you can do like travel or volunteer but you definitely don't want to be sitting around on your ass for a year waiting to hear form law schools. Who knows, next cycle could be worse than this one.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:25 pm

You can definitely get a market job out of UIUC (See NLJ250). If they're giving you a full scholarship, they expect you will do well. If you want to work in Chicago, is there really reason you should turn down little to no debt for 150k in debt? Hell, with no debt you can just drop out if you don't like your chances, no consequences.

ITE nothing is guaranteed even at T-14. I know what I would do if I were you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”