Anything I can do at this point?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Anything I can do at this point?

Postby CmonSD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Ok so it has been three months since I applied to my number one... and by number one I mean the only school I would really consider at this point. I have a fabulous job (I plan on going pt) and a fiance stationed here in the military so moving is really out of the question.

I am considering writing a LOCI, but I have read mixed reviews about doing so before a waitlist. I am afraid I may not get the chance should I end up rejected. My numbers are borderline and I will most likely retake and apply again next year...but for this year could it hurt? I didn't write a "why x" letter but added a bit about the school in my ps.

Thanks!

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Anything I can do at this point?

Postby sapp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:23 pm

If I were as dead set on a school as you seem to be then I would:

Write an LOCI and send via email and US Postal service (note that you're sending it both ways in the letter head that way they know its the same thing twice.) or send it however that school specifies they like to receive things.

After two weeks schedule a private campus visit. When you visit be sure to take notice of things that stood out to you or they referenced a lot as well as names of anyone you speak with.

Immediately after your visit write another LOCI referencing your visit and things you learned/inspired you. DON'T SEND IT OUT YET THOUGH. You're writing it immeiately afterwards so it's still fresh.

Send an email/call thanking the person who took you on the tour, politely and briefly mention how it has made you even more eager to attend. (This should be an EXTREMELY short interest plug).

1-2 weeks after your campus visit send in the second LOCI.

If still no response from them try to get them another LoR (if you're not over the limit).


Again... I wouldn't do this for every school. This is under the idea that I really want that school and if I got in I would absolutely go there. Admission staff are busy but they also need to know how serious you are about going there. Do you have any contacts at the school that can help you?

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Anything I can do at this point?

Postby CmonSD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Thanks for such a helpful response. I do not have any contacts at the school directly. I have two strong LOR's (one from an alumni) but they won't take another. I have read on here that some schools will get annoyed if they receive a loci before the waitlist and put your application on the bottom. This is the complete opposite of what I want...obviously...so that is why I am worried.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: Anything I can do at this point?

Postby cherryalamode » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:35 pm

CmonSD wrote:Thanks for such a helpful response. I do not have any contacts at the school directly. I have two strong LOR's (one from an alumni) but they won't take another. I have read on here that some schools will get annoyed if they receive a loci before the waitlist and put your application on the bottom. This is the complete opposite of what I want...obviously...so that is why I am worried.



.

User avatar
chooch
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Anything I can do at this point?

Postby chooch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:02 pm

sapp wrote:If I were as dead set on a school as you seem to be then I would:

Write an LOCI and send via email and US Postal service (note that you're sending it both ways in the letter head that way they know its the same thing twice.) or send it however that school specifies they like to receive things.

After two weeks schedule a private campus visit. When you visit be sure to take notice of things that stood out to you or they referenced a lot as well as names of anyone you speak with.

Immediately after your visit write another LOCI referencing your visit and things you learned/inspired you. DON'T SEND IT OUT YET THOUGH. You're writing it immeiately afterwards so it's still fresh.

Send an email/call thanking the person who took you on the tour, politely and briefly mention how it has made you even more eager to attend. (This should be an EXTREMELY short interest plug).

1-2 weeks after your campus visit send in the second LOCI.

If still no response from them try to get them another LoR (if you're not over the limit).


Again... I wouldn't do this for every school. This is under the idea that I really want that school and if I got in I would absolutely go there. Admission staff are busy but they also need to know how serious you are about going there. Do you have any contacts at the school that can help you?



i'm interested in this as well, did you personally follow these instructions or have you heard anecdotes about people showing continued interested before the waitlist game?

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Anything I can do at this point?

Postby sapp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:09 pm

dannybang wrote:
i'm interested in this as well, did you personally follow these instructions or have you heard anecdotes about people showing continued interested before the waitlist game?


It’s a combination of several threads I've read about LOCIs/Waitlists on these boards. I just made up that list based on what people said was most productive and what made sense to me.


I sent a pre-WL LOCI to 1 school.

But, they had me under review for 2+ months before I did. After some research into the school's acceptance/denial/WL practice in the past I came to the conclusion that it was an unofficial WL. I checked out to see how they felt about receiving updates and LOCIs and everything pretty much said “let us know anything new or that you’re interested as much as you feel is necessary.” The school isn’t nearby so I can’t visit them easily but I hope to manage a visit sometime soon. The school is one of my top choices. I’m still “under review” with them which is better than a rejection. And I believe avoiding a rejection is what the OP wants to do.

User avatar
chooch
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Anything I can do at this point?

Postby chooch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:33 pm

sapp wrote:
dannybang wrote:
i'm interested in this as well, did you personally follow these instructions or have you heard anecdotes about people showing continued interested before the waitlist game?


It’s a combination of several threads I've read about LOCIs/Waitlists on these boards. I just made up that list based on what people said was most productive and what made sense to me.


I sent a pre-WL LOCI to 1 school.

But, they had me under review for 2+ months before I did. After some research into the school's acceptance/denial/WL practice in the past I came to the conclusion that it was an unofficial WL. I checked out to see how they felt about receiving updates and LOCIs and everything pretty much said “let us know anything new or that you’re interested as much as you feel is necessary.” The school isn’t nearby so I can’t visit them easily but I hope to manage a visit sometime soon. The school is one of my top choices. I’m still “under review” with them which is better than a rejection. And I believe avoiding a rejection is what the OP wants to do.



Your advice is really helpful. What made me feel reluctant about sending a LOCI before any WL/deferral decision was what Ken wrote about the possibility of delaying your admissions further or "annoying" someone at the office.

But you did put the time and effort in research and preparing to write one, so I appreciate your help. Hope everything works out for you!

[edit]

by the way, did you send another LOR or something else to accompany your LOCI? thanks!

[/edit]

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Anything I can do at this point?

Postby sapp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:39 pm

dannybang wrote:
Your advice is really helpful. What made me feel reluctant about sending a LOCI before any WL/deferral decision was what Ken wrote about the possibility of delaying your admissions further or "annoying" someone at the office.

But you did put the time and effort in research and preparing to write one, so I appreciate your help. Hope everything works out for you!


Np and thanks! :)

I think as long as you do a little investigation into the school in question and make sure they don't say not to do it then it can't be that bad. Just make a smart choice about it. (I probably wouldn't send a LOCI the day after you go under review. Give them awhile to look things over.)

The whole sending it by email and postal service (and putting that you sent it both ways) came from business practice at the two places I've worked for the past 6 years (both law related). They always liked everything sent out both ways so I just got used to it.

Good luck to both of you in your cycle!

Edit re your edit: No I haven't sent in another LoR. Though I've been attempting to corner an additional person or two to write an additional LoR in case I end up needing it. Right now I'm waiting on responses from the additional LoR people I contacted. But hopefully I won't need them. :)

Norwood
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Anything I can do at this point?

Postby Norwood » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Some good advice provided by Sapp, I did the same just a week ago with some of my targets/reaches.

I didn't want to get rejected without doing all that I could to express my interest. Why wait to be Waitlisted to send a LOCI...when you may not even be waitlisted at all (rejected). If it is truly your number one then let them know.

However, make sure whatever you send them is well written and to the point. Keep in mind you're making them read additional material.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aside, Bing [Bot], Lawl_Schoolz, ReadyToStart, zot1 and 10 guests