Part Time to Full Time Same School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dbc001

Part Time to Full Time Same School

Postby dbc001 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Does anyone know how this works as far as starting out in the part time program (perhaps continuing) but possible transferring to the full time program? Does this depend on the school and their policies or does anyone have knowledge about this?

Thanks in advance

CmonSD

Re: Part Time to Full Time Same School

Postby CmonSD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Check with the school's website. From what I have read, most allow you to transfer depending on your standing after your first year.

dbc001

Postby dbc001 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:10 pm

I did that and the load of classes is three instead of four...still quite a bit...

but the thing is that the classes for the part time program are mixed up and include classes that a full time student would otherwise take as a 2L.... so I'm not sure how easy the transfer will be since the classes seem to be mixed up and dissimilar in their chronology than a FT student....

I also called the school but they take a few days to respond since they make you leave messages....

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Most make you take a summer class or two to make up the required 1L class that you wouldn't have taken as a PT student.

(Also, the difference in tuition is made up by paying for the summer classes)

From what I've heard, it depends on the school, but it should be an easy process.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Yep it really depends on the school. Most schools will allow you to transfer up as long as you have good standing.

Also in most cases, transferring to a FT program from PT will allow you to finish in 3.5 years. You could even finish in 3 years if you take summer courses both summers. For some schools the summer courses are held at night which allow you to intern/extern/work during the summer giving you the opportunity to gain experience meanwhile catching up to the FT program.

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:01 pm

IU INDY:
Q: Can I switch from part-time to full-time or vice versa?

First year students must stay in either full-time day classes or part-time evening classes for the entire first year. Part-time students also have two required basic level courses left to complete after their first year. Otherwise, students may switch between full-time and part-time status after the first year.

My understanding is that most schools just require that you take summer classes after the first year and you can still graduate in 3 years. Depends on the school however. I'm not sure how going part-time would effect financial aid though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”