NWU merit scholarships

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
stillWaiting23

NWU merit scholarships

Postby stillWaiting23 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Disclaimer: I know NWU doesn't officially give out merit scholarships; you need to fill out fafsa and what-not and apply as a need based applicant (and then they take into account your merit).

I was offered quite a bit of money (~20K per year) from Michigan. Is NWU likely to match this? NWU is my top choice, but it's a lot of money on the table. NWU is NOT likely to look at my fafsa and say 'wow, this kid really needs our money'. Also, how do I go about asking NWU to match the offer? Obiously I start by filling out the appropriate need forms. From there, what? Do I scan and email them a copy of Michigan's merit scholarship, explain the situation, and ask them if they can match? Is it better to do that in person? They were my top two schools, but after visiting, I only liked Michigan but really fell in love with NWU.

Thanks!

rayiner

Re: NWU merit scholarships

Postby rayiner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:35 pm

stillWaiting23 wrote:Disclaimer: I know NWU doesn't officially give out merit scholarships; you need to fill out fafsa and what-not and apply as a need based applicant (and then they take into account your merit).

I was offered quite a bit of money (~20K per year) from Michigan. Is NWU likely to match this? NWU is my top choice, but it's a lot of money on the table. NWU is NOT likely to look at my fafsa and say 'wow, this kid really needs our money'. Also, how do I go about asking NWU to match the offer? Obiously I start by filling out the appropriate need forms. From there, what? Do I scan and email them a copy of Michigan's merit scholarship, explain the situation, and ask them if they can match? Is it better to do that in person? They were my top two schools, but after visiting, I only liked Michigan but really fell in love with NWU.

Thanks!

NU gives out scholarships based on merit/need. They have their own scholarship application process. Ask the admissions office, they were great in guiding me through it. Mention your offer at Michigan, I'd imagine they'd try to match especially this early in the process when there is probably money left.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 pm

By NWU, I'm assuming you mean Northwestern.

They haven't started giving out financial aid yet. I believe they begin doing that a few weeks from now.

I'd fill out the forms and write those two short essays. See what happens. If they lowball you or don't give you any money, then you can leverage the Michigan scholarship. You're in a pretty good bargaining position, I'd say. When the time comes, if you make it clear that you'd withdraw from Michigan if NU matched their offer, I bet they'll bite; it's an easy way for them to win a cross-admit battle.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 pm

scribelaw wrote:By NWU, I'm assuming you mean Northwestern.

They haven't started giving out financial aid yet. I believe they begin doing that a few weeks from now.

I'd fill out the forms and write those two short essays. See what happens. If they lowball you or don't give you any money, then you can leverage the Michigan scholarship. You're in a pretty good bargaining position, I'd say. When the time comes, if you make it clear that you'd withdraw from Michigan if NU matched their offer, I bet they'll bite; it's an easy way for them to win a cross-admit battle.

In the merit essay, I'd mention the Michigan scholarship.

This reminds me. I've got to write an essay about why I deserve merit money for a 2.8 gpa.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”