The Reality of Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
summerstar

Bronze

Re: The Reality of Law School

Post by summerstar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:04 pm

thanks for the heartening and realistic post. I was starting to feel like I was trying to get into Heaven or something (Hell?). Seriously, so much angst on here, and in the process itself, just made things so much worse, and though I've learned a great deal on TLS, it def took some of the fire out of my belly. temporarily. :wink:

letsdoit1982

Bronze

Post by letsdoit1982 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:08 pm

Not to completely change the topic, but what's this business about people lying about their LSAT score on TLS? Who does that? I figured there were only a couple people on here who do that.

Good post, incidentally.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Nice post. I hope to eat, sleep and poop my work when I'm a lawyer. =-)

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flounder

New

Post by flounder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:02 pm

1600 a week is $83,200 a year. That seems pretty damn good to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:15 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
James Bond wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Amber Lamps meme! :lol:
haha i have no idea why I posted that :lol:

oh well I'm glad you appreciated it

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks for the post!

My experience working as a runner in Biglaw (I am applying to law school, take this advice for what its worth)= most attys dramatize the workload, often staying late to prepare for trial until 2 am. (In reality, they prepare for trial until 10, then tap into the scotch, then prepare some more, then at 12, switch to cheap beer). Over dramatizing the workload equals more glorious victory, it is that simple.

I often was instructed by two summer associates that even law school was over dramatized, its kind of a fraternity if you will. "You have no idea how hard law school is, its SOOOO hard. You just dont understand!" Then you get to law school and realize, wow, its not as hard as you thought. Then when someone asks you about law school, you respond, "Hardest thing EVER!!!!!!! You have no idea". The prestige associated with law school and lawyering is perpetuated by lawyers in order to secure the prestige for eternity.

No doubt it is a challenging career, it requires a certain personality.

From witnessing 2 years of summer associate interviews and participating in OCI's, you have to nail the following points:

1) Go to the school from which most of the partners of the firm are alumni.

2) Get the best grades you can in Law School.

3) Don't rub anyone the wrong way

Optional (my experiences are from the South):

4) Be good at either Saltwater Fishing, Hunting, Both, or be a Combat Vet. (Not Joking)

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm

ram jam wrote:Thanks for the post!

My experience working as a runner in Biglaw (I am applying to law school, take this advice for what its worth)= most attys dramatize the workload, often staying late to prepare for trial until 2 am. (In reality, they prepare for trial until 10, then tap into the scotch, then prepare some more, then at 12, switch to cheap beer). Over dramatizing the workload equals more glorious victory, it is that simple.

I often was instructed by two summer associates that even law school was over dramatized, its kind of a fraternity if you will. "You have no idea how hard law school is, its SOOOO hard. You just dont understand!" Then you get to law school and realize, wow, its not as hard as you thought. Then when someone asks you about law school, you respond, "Hardest thing EVER!!!!!!! You have no idea". The prestige associated with law school and lawyering is perpetuated by lawyers in order to secure the prestige for eternity.

No doubt it is a challenging career, it requires a certain personality.

From witnessing 2 years of summer associate interviews and participating in OCI's, you have to nail the following points:

1) Go to the school from which most of the partners of the firm are alumni.

2) Get the best grades you can in Law School.

3) Don't rub anyone the wrong way

Optional (my experiences are from the South):

4) Be good at either Saltwater Fishing, Hunting, Both, or be a Combat Vet. (Not Joking)
Another great post! Thank you for this, and let me just say that I am glad I am not from the South haha! :P

I would love if we could keep this thread going and continue sharing honest realities (and also not devolve into another AA thread).

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:30 pm

Great post, thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Snuffie

New

Post by Snuffie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:33 am

letsdoit1982 wrote:Not to completely change the topic, but what's this business about people lying about their LSAT score on TLS? Who does that? I figured there were only a couple people on here who do that.
I assume that's sarcasm?

Wouldn't be surprised if, truth be told, more than half the posters on here lied to some degree about their LSAT score.

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:10 am

bignoseknowsnoes wrote:
Let's do this... Leeeeeeeeeeroy Jeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnkins.
lmao quote of the century

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:14 am

Snuffie wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:Not to completely change the topic, but what's this business about people lying about their LSAT score on TLS? Who does that? I figured there were only a couple people on here who do that.
I assume that's sarcasm?

Wouldn't be surprised if, truth be told, more than half the posters on here lied to some degree about their LSAT score.
Some would lie up or down by 1 point so as not to be pegged by any lurking adcomms, which is understandable. Those who would lie up by more than 1, or maybe 2 in the interest of maintaining anonymity, are ass clowns. Sorry, OP. I'm not saying that you are an ass clown now, but you were acting like one when you exaggerated your score by more than a few points in order to look cool on a message board. No offense.

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:04 am

To OP, thank you! With all of the 0L speculation, it is really nice to hear an honest perspective on law school and lawyering in general. I wish posts like these were the norm on TLS instead of the exception.

Best of luck on the rest of law school and on your future career endeavors!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

This whole capitalism thing sucks, but I guess it's what we've got.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:04 am

How did you manage to rack up only $60K in law school loans through your first 1-1/2 years without a scholly? Are you paying out-of-pocket? Did you get some outside grants/schollies?
Last edited by PDaddy on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:13 am

Snuffie wrote:
I assume that's sarcasm?

Statistics indicate that most of the people here (and elsewhere) lie about their LSAT scores, even if they nudge them by a point. URM's have little or no incentive to do so because admissions is a more holistic process for them, so their scores matter less. Grades, however, might be another story. I have caught a few URM's from my undergrad lying about their grades. Don't ask me how.

It's unlikely that such a high percentage of those few people who hit the 97-98% (170+) mark are posters on TLS/LSD. I see too many of them. Not hatin' on you if you really did that well. I'm just saying...

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:27 am

PDaddy wrote:
Snuffie wrote:
I assume that's sarcasm?

Statistics indicate that most of the people here (and elsewhere) lie about their LSAT scores, even if they nudge them by a point. URM's have little or no incentive to do so because admissions is a more holistic process for them, so their scores matter less. Grades, however, might be another story. I have caught a few URM's from my undergrad lying about their grades. Don't ask me how.

It's unlikely that such a high percentage of those few people who hit the 97-98% (170+) mark are posters on TLS/LSD. I see too many of them. Not hatin' on you if you really did that well. I'm just saying...
Unlikely, yes, but TLS could just be the mother of all self-selecting samples. The characteristics of doing extensive research on law schools, studying hard (and in a beneficial manner) for the LSAT (because they know that theyneed to do so, which points back to the previous item), and being more intelligent/determined than the average applicant are likely common to a disproportionate number of top scorers. If the high scorer has the first characteristic, it's likely that s/he will stumble onto TLS. Some will stay, some will go. Many will flame and troll.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:56 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
James Bond wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Amber Lamps meme! :lol:
How do you know about the Amber Lamps? LOL!

Grad09

New

Post by Grad09 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:17 am

bighead715 wrote:
bignoseknowsnoes wrote:
Let's do this... Leeeeeeeeeeroy Jeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnkins.
lmao quote of the century

+1

letsdoit1982

Bronze

Post by letsdoit1982 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Snuffie wrote:
I assume that's sarcasm?

No, it's not sarcasm. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't give a shit what people on a message board think about me. It's understandable if someone fudges their numbers a little in order to maintain anonymity, but if you're doing it because you are embarrassed of your score, well I just understand that.

Not trying to attack OP. He definitely a nice guy for his post.

prelaw10

New

Post by prelaw10 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Great amazing, thanks! I read the whole thing, twice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”