Can I get into Drexel? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UnbornWidow

New

Can I get into Drexel?

Post by UnbornWidow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:15 pm

155 and 3.3 numbers?

Is Drexel a pretty good school? I am a little worried about this news article:

http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/phi ... 00^2907431

I saw a thread somewhere earlier where the dean of drexel was answering questions. Did he/she address this article?

Thanks so much!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: Can I get into Drexel?

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 pm

UnbornWidow wrote:155 and 3.3 numbers?

Is Drexel a pretty good school? I am a little worried about this news article:

http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/phi ... 00^2907431

I saw a thread somewhere earlier where the dean of drexel was answering questions. Did he/she address this article?

Thanks so much!
flame, no?

Even if you weren't, which I'm not sure if that is possible, you want to attend a school that causes you to truly worry about your prospects? (beyond a reasonable doubt, by a preponderance of the evidence, etc.)

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:23 pm

Well, since you asked, I'll be frank. No, it is not a good school. It is not worth paying money for. You would be financially suicidal to go to Drexel with those numbers because those numbers guarantee you will have no scholarship.

Unless Daddy will pay for it, this just has bad idea written all over it.

And as far as that article goes, you shouldn't "just be a little worried about it." It is plain and simple truth. If you want to go pay 200k to go to a school that gives you a less than 5% chance of getting a job that justifies the debt, then feel free. But no rational actor would make that choice. I suspect you have much much much more homework to do before you go through the law school application process.

UnbornWidow

New

Post by UnbornWidow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:37 pm

wow. You fellas are sorta negative. I was hoping to get a job at a big law firm to make some good money after law school. Do the big law firms hire older women? I am 44 right now? I am also worried about my looks because I am somewhat overweight. Will that stop me from getting a big law firm job? I want to go to drexel because it is close to my apartment. I am planning to pay for it with student loans.

I cannot believe that article I posted above. The statistics I read from the NALP and the ABA said that the average lawyer makes 88,000 dollars a year.
I do not think that article about drexel can be accurate because that 88000 is a lot of money.

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Drexel is garbage

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:44 pm

[strike]I always get duped by flames.[/strike]
I almost always get duped by flames.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:45 pm

UnbornWidow wrote:wow. You fellas are sorta negative. I was hoping to get a job at a big law firm to make some good money after law school. Do the big law firms hire older women? I am 44 right now? I am also worried about my looks because I am somewhat overweight. Will that stop me from getting a big law firm job? I want to go to drexel because it is close to my apartment. I am planning to pay for it with student loans.

I cannot believe that article I posted above. The statistics I read from the NALP and the ABA said that the average lawyer makes 88,000 dollars a year.
I do not think that article about drexel can be accurate because that 88000 is a lot of money.
Oh, dear. I wish you were a flame.

That article is true. Do not go to Drexel. Take another year, score five points higher on the LSAT, and apply to Temple. Cheaper than Drexel and the prospects are so much better.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 pm

UnbornWidow, I had high hopes for you not being a flame, but the last post gave it away hard.

I think your stereotype of TLS is a little outdated. Most routine posters and lurkers are not lemmings (with this caveat--I usually only read the current Law Students forum and Legal Employment forum).

There has to be a better method for lawschool scambusting than flaming TLS. But I do think more and more people are waking up to the scam. Seriously, browse the LawStudents forum and Legal Employment forum before you denounce every single TLSer as a lemming. Some of us do even occasionally drop in on the prospective student forums to give the wide-eyed youth warnings.

For instance, check the posts in this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108649

Honeysuckle

Bronze

Post by Honeysuckle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 pm

These should be your best friends for the next 3+ months:
--ImageRemoved--
:D Get your score into the 160s range, and apply to Temple and Villanova.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:19 am

UnbornWidow wrote:wow. You fellas are sorta negative. I was hoping to get a job at a big law firm to make some good money after law school. Do the big law firms hire older women? I am 44 right now? I am also worried about my looks because I am somewhat overweight. Will that stop me from getting a big law firm job? I want to go to drexel because it is close to my apartment. I am planning to pay for it with student loans.

The starting salary and average annual salaries are mostly fiction. The range of salaries is from 0 through 1M+ based on many factors. You should assume you will not make a lot if you go to Drexel.
Law firms hire older women who do well in good schools. They hire older overweight women who have a record of success and potential to bring in money for the firm. The adcom that I met at Drexel was the nicest adcom I ever met. They are determined to make Drexel into a good school but they are not there yet. Right now the school is brand new and has no track record and in case you haven't heard the economy sucks. That is a terrible combination.

Study for 4 - 6 hour per night from now until June. Retake the LSAT. Go to a better school or at least get Drexel to give a full scholarship. Good luck

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:23 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:[strike]I always get duped by flames.[/strike]
TITCR. This thread has got to be a joke.

UnbornWidow

New

Post by UnbornWidow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:51 am

I find it frightening and sad that so many responses here are so cynical and mistrustful. The law is a great and noble profession. I am sure that I will have a million dollars in the bank before I have worked 10 years as a lawyer. But of course that is not why I want to go. I want to go to law school to serve the community and give back something.

UnbornWidow

New

Post by UnbornWidow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:57 am

MURPH wrote: The starting salary and average annual salaries are mostly fiction.
I am sure that is not the case. Why on earth would law schools lie about the salaries? And how could they get away with it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:50 am

UnbornWidow wrote:I find it frightening and sad that so many responses here are so cynical and mistrustful. The law is a great and noble profession. I am sure that I will have a million dollars in the bank before I have worked 10 years as a lawyer. But of course that is not why I want to go. I want to go to law school to serve the community and give back something.

:D

I don't generally support flames, but this one was nicely done. It was believable, with just a hint of absurdity. Really kept us guessing until the big reveal, quoted above.

Fire extinguisher, please.

UnbornWidow

New

Post by UnbornWidow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 am

TTTennis wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:[strike]I always get duped by flames.[/strike]
TITCR. This thread has got to be a joke.

I am not joking about going to law school, I assure you. What is so bad about me that makes you think the idea of me going to law school is a joke?

PhillyRower42

New

Post by PhillyRower42 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:43 am

There is nothing wrong with wanting to go to law school.... first I would say that most people on this thread are telling you the truth, as of right now Drexel is not the ideal choice of law schools in Philly, who knows what will happen in the next few years though. I would agree and say study hard for the LSAT, and by approving by just a few points you would be in good standing to get into Temple or Villanova, (both with much better names in Philly as of now, and not to be offensive but at 44 you want to make sure you go to a school that will give you more prospects).
Having said that I have a family member who is 3L at Drexel and had a very good job offer even before beginning her third year, however she was ranked within the top 5% of her class, is on law review, and had landed some very good summer positions in the past few years where she really proved herself...
So although it is not impossible to get a respectable/well paying job out of Drexel, it is not easy and as each class becomes more and more competative it becomes more difficult.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:54 am

You can get into Drexel. It's a decent school...

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:02 am

good catch, guys!

--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”