-----

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:46 am

TTTennis wrote:
calicocat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I get to go to better law school than you not because I'm a nerd, but because I am smarter than you.

Hope that hurts,

DF

DF why do you always send us to threads with so much reading? come on.


+1 on the reading. Boo.

But, I'm a little confused. It seems like the real point of this thread is to whine about the fact that you won't beat out a bunch of NERDS who scored a lot higher than you on the LSAT (although you don't even know yet), because you are transgender (hs dropout) and have the legitimate reason of attending a specific law school because they have dual-degree programs?

And if your school was so awesome in teaching you how to think analytically and blah blah blah, why in the hell wouldn't you be able to score high on the LSAT? Being timed really screws with you that much, or is it the pressure, or both? You sure you wanna go to law school?


I think the take home message is that the original post goes in many different, divergent directions, making actually addressing her concerns a very piecemeal task. Lots of sound and fury...

icydash
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:53 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:48 am

r6_philly wrote:I admire you for your strength and achievements. But you are making the sort of the mistake OP is making. OP generalizes that no upper class white kids face adversity, and you generalize that because have, that many other upper class white kids have as well. You are just as exceptional as the OP, you have to realize that.


Great point. I honestly had not seen it this way.
However, I still do believe a lot more white kids face adversity, are outcast for one reason or another, and face real (other then academic) hardship then people realize/give them credit for. Not that it's near the level of a racial minority, but the point was to make the OP realize that some of us do face hardship, do have to work hard for what we have, do get called names and get bullied, etc.... yet still manage to do well in school and on the LSAT.



r6_philly wrote:By the way, hardship is not necessarily continous pressure. Maybe I am just looking at the word pressure in a different way. To imply that rich kids (who are not you) are under pressure to do well, then ... well you just don't understand pressure in a disadvantaged person's point of view.


I didn't mean they were under pressure to do well. I meant that (like i state in the paragraph above), just because you're upper class and white doesn't mean you can't be afflicted with serious illnesses, be out-casted because of your sexual preference/etc, get bullied and harassed in school, etc...
Last edited by icydash on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:50 am

The only excuse for a 150 lsat: "I was in a coma/having a seizure for most of it" imo

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 am

ConMan345 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Everybody is unique! Just like everyone else!


The Hot Topic in the mall is hiring...


--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby stratocophic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 am

vanwinkle wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:it is privilaged to be "under-privileged"??? you feel like it is some sort of club that people love to be a part of? this is offensive.

This may be neither here nor there, but I definitely think I'm a better person for having dealt with some pretty unpleasant stuff.

I wouldn't call it a "privilege" though, I suppose....That's too "thank you, sir, may I have another."

Yeah. It's a club that makes the people who're in it unique to it, but most of them wish they never had to go through it. I'm in the club. If you're not in the club, and I could switch places with you, I would.

Straight up. Mo' money mo' problems is only legit till you realize it's actually an inverse relationship, not proportional.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 am

calicocat wrote:The only excuse for a 150 lsat: "I was in a coma/having a seizure for most of it" imo


How about, CC was in my testing room and I was checking her out for most of it? This is a legitimate excuse if you live in Canada.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 am

icydash wrote:I didn't mean they were under pressure to do well. I meant that (like i state in the paragraph above), just because you're upper class and white doesn't mean you can't be afflicted with serious illnesses, be out-casted because of your sexual preference/etc...


But the problem for the truly disadvantaged is that there is no safety net. So if you are a rich kid (I don't know if you are, so please excuse me), you get sick, or you get bullied, or you are just not meshing well in college, you can quit, and probably find another path through life with many opportunities. if you were not rich, and not white, you may not have those options. That is the essense of being privileged or not in my mind. Now what you have now, but what you will have after you fail. If you are like me, and you fail, you will land on the streets like me. At any moment, even now, I could lose everything and end up with nothing and no recourse. And no one will *be able to* help me.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 am

TTTennis wrote:
calicocat wrote:The only excuse for a 150 lsat: "I was in a coma/having a seizure for most of it" imo


How about, CC was in my testing room and I was checking her out for most of it? This is a legitimate excuse if you live in Canada.


This is credited ;)

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:55 am

r6_philly wrote:
icydash wrote:I didn't mean they were under pressure to do well. I meant that (like i state in the paragraph above), just because you're upper class and white doesn't mean you can't be afflicted with serious illnesses, be out-casted because of your sexual preference/etc...


But the problem for the truly disadvantaged is that there is no safety net. So if you are a rich kid (I don't know if you are, so please excuse me), you get sick, or you get bullied, or you are just not meshing well in college, you can quit, and probably find another path through life with many opportunities. if you were not rich, and not white, you may not have those options. That is the essense of being privileged or not in my mind. Now what you have now, but what you will have after you fail. If you are like me, and you fail, you will land on the streets like me. At any moment, even now, I could lose everything and end up with nothing and no recourse. And no one will *be able to* help me.


Why must white necessarily infer $$$? Do you people not understand variance?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:56 am

calicocat wrote:The only excuse for a 150 lsat: "I was in a coma/having a seizure for most of it" imo


Damn considering half the people score 150 or less, you don't have much an opinion on humanity.

User avatar
janderson
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:04 am

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby janderson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:57 am

It's a numbers game. It's a numbers game because there are boatloads of unique and beautiful snowflakes with high LSAT scores. Numbers are the only measurable factor separating all the unique and beautiful snowflakes from one another.
Last edited by janderson on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 am

r6_philly wrote:
calicocat wrote:The only excuse for a 150 lsat: "I was in a coma/having a seizure for most of it" imo


Damn considering half the people score 150 or less, you don't have much an opinion on humanity.

Not on the below average :lol:

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 am

r6_philly wrote:
calicocat wrote:The only excuse for a 150 lsat: "I was in a coma/having a seizure for most of it" imo


Damn considering half the people score 150 or less, you don't have much an opinion on humanity.


Most of humanity is not really intelligent. Seriously.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:59 am

janderson wrote:It's a numbers game. It's a numbers game because there are boatloads of unique and beautiful snowflakes with high LSAT scores. Numbers are the only factor separating all the unique and beautiful snowflakes from one another.


Didn't I say something like this?

Go work at Hot Topic.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:59 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
icydash wrote:I didn't mean they were under pressure to do well. I meant that (like i state in the paragraph above), just because you're upper class and white doesn't mean you can't be afflicted with serious illnesses, be out-casted because of your sexual preference/etc...


But the problem for the truly disadvantaged is that there is no safety net. So if you are a rich kid (I don't know if you are, so please excuse me), you get sick, or you get bullied, or you are just not meshing well in college, you can quit, and probably find another path through life with many opportunities. if you were not rich, and not white, you may not have those options. That is the essense of being privileged or not in my mind. Now what you have now, but what you will have after you fail. If you are like me, and you fail, you will land on the streets like me. At any moment, even now, I could lose everything and end up with nothing and no recourse. And no one will *be able to* help me.


Why must white necessarily infer $$$? Do you people not understand variance?


The premise of this argument, which was quoted from a previous post, was QUOTE "upper class white kids".

2nd of all, where in my post that you quoted, did I connect white to $$????? Maybe if you learn to read it would help. I only said if you are NOT rich and NOT white, your choices will be limited. I never made an inverted statement. What did you get on the LSAT? The opposite is not always true.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 am

r6_philly wrote:
calicocat wrote:The only excuse for a 150 lsat: "I was in a coma/having a seizure for most of it" imo


Damn considering half the people score 150 or less, you don't have much an opinion on humanity.


She's just intelligent beyond belief. And beautiful. Can you blame her for not having sympathy?

I wouldn't have sympathy, but I'm only extremely good looking (read: average). Dumb as a rock though :cry:

User avatar
janderson
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:04 am

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby janderson » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:01 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
janderson wrote:It's a numbers game. It's a numbers game because there are boatloads of unique and beautiful snowflakes with high LSAT scores. Numbers are the only factor separating all the unique and beautiful snowflakes from one another.


Didn't I say something like this?

Go work at Hot Topic.


I don't read threads before I post in them. Get off my back, gosh! :(

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:01 am

TTTennis wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
calicocat wrote:The only excuse for a 150 lsat: "I was in a coma/having a seizure for most of it" imo


Damn considering half the people score 150 or less, you don't have much an opinion on humanity.


She's just intelligent beyond belief. And beautiful. Can you blame her for not having sympathy?

I wouldn't have sympathy, but I'm only extremely good looking (read: average). Dumb as a rock though :cry:


haha suck up :P

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:02 am

rad law wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
calicocat wrote:The only excuse for a 150 lsat: "I was in a coma/having a seizure for most of it" imo


Damn considering half the people score 150 or less, you don't have much an opinion on humanity.


Most of humanity is not really intelligent. Seriously.


FACT

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:02 am

r6_philly wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
icydash wrote:I didn't mean they were under pressure to do well. I meant that (like i state in the paragraph above), just because you're upper class and white doesn't mean you can't be afflicted with serious illnesses, be out-casted because of your sexual preference/etc...


But the problem for the truly disadvantaged is that there is no safety net. So if you are a rich kid (I don't know if you are, so please excuse me), you get sick, or you get bullied, or you are just not meshing well in college, you can quit, and probably find another path through life with many opportunities. if you were not rich, and not white, you may not have those options. That is the essense of being privileged or not in my mind. Now what you have now, but what you will have after you fail. If you are like me, and you fail, you will land on the streets like me. At any moment, even now, I could lose everything and end up with nothing and no recourse. And no one will *be able to* help me.


Why must white necessarily infer $$$? Do you people not understand variance?


The premise of this argument, which was quoted from a previous post, was QUOTE "upper class white kids".

2nd of all, where in my post that you quoted, did I connect white to $$????? Maybe if you learn to read it would help. I only said if you are NOT rich and NOT white, your choices will be limited. I never made an inverted statement. What did you get on the LSAT? The opposite is not always true.



Oh mother of god...it was poorly phrased and I'm workin on a brief at 3 AM ass hat. Throw me a frickin bone.

The point was that rich always gets thrown in with white as if they are the same thing, in a similar manner to the times when poor gets thrown in with black.

Ed: Your "not rich and not white" comment was what did it.
Last edited by prezidentv8 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

icydash
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:53 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:05 am

r6_philly wrote:
icydash wrote:I didn't mean they were under pressure to do well. I meant that (like i state in the paragraph above), just because you're upper class and white doesn't mean you can't be afflicted with serious illnesses, be out-casted because of your sexual preference/etc...


But the problem for the truly disadvantaged is that there is no safety net. So if you are a rich kid (I don't know if you are, so please excuse me), you get sick, or you get bullied, or you are just not meshing well in college, you can quit, and probably find another path through life with many opportunities. if you were not rich, and not white, you may not have those options. That is the essense of being privileged or not in my mind. Now what you have now, but what you will have after you fail. If you are like me, and you fail, you will land on the streets like me. At any moment, even now, I could lose everything and end up with nothing and no recourse. And no one will *be able to* help me.


Just because your parents have money doesn't change the fact that a college degree is a college degree. Either you have it, did well, and can get a job.... or you failed out/quit, don't have it, and will work at McDonalds for the rest of your life (IE will have to take jobs that hire people with only high school level education). Just because you're white and upper class doesn't mean you can just quit your education and your parents are like "that's cool" and you can find another path through life. Your level of income, ability to progress and build a career are severely limited, white or not.

As a side note, though, in the OPs picture....she's white....so uhh maybe we should just limit our discussion to what is pertinent to her???
Last edited by icydash on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:07 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Oh mother of god...it was poorly phrased and I'm workin on a brief at 3 AM ass hat. Throw me a frickin bone.

The point was that rich always gets thrown in with white as if they are the same thing, in a similar manner to the times when poor gets thrown in with black.


Why is there an argument going on that isn't against the OP? If the OP is retarded enough to think that she should be able to get into a good law school because she is a transgender and not able to put up with ridicule in high school, then this thread should be OP bashing. Instead, we have tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum arguing about white people and money.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:08 am

TTTennis wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Oh mother of god...it was poorly phrased and I'm workin on a brief at 3 AM ass hat. Throw me a frickin bone.

The point was that rich always gets thrown in with white as if they are the same thing, in a similar manner to the times when poor gets thrown in with black.


Why is there an argument going on that isn't against the OP? If the OP is retarded enough to think that she should be able to get into a good law school because she is a transgender and not able to put up with ridicule in high school, then this thread should be OP bashing. Instead, we have tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum arguing about white people and money.


Right. OP, stop whining and score higher.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:08 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
Oh mother of god...it was poorly phrased and I'm workin on a brief at 3 AM ass hat. Throw me a frickin bone.

The point was that rich always gets thrown in with white as if they are the same thing, in a similar manner to the times when poor gets thrown in with black.


That's your prejudice, not mine. So please keep it to yourself. I write what I mean, and I mean what I write. Please take the time to read it before responding, it is only the civil thing to do.

If you ever wonder why your numbers are not getting you into the top schools ... well I sort of have an idea.

"ass hat" and "frickin bone"? Damn what are you 15? I think you shall be depressed when you figure out what live is like.

If you are working on a brief then stop getting on the forum. You might end up typing "ass hat" on the brief.

Don't you love people who get angry when they are wrong :roll:

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:08 am

calicocat wrote:
haha suck up :P


I'm not sucking up, I'm hitting on you :D :D haha




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, jdanz, theorangewon and 5 guests