-----

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
calicocat

Re: The importance of having a unique, strong reason to get a JD

Postby calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:56 am

rad law wrote:
r6_philly wrote:why are there no loldogz around

Because that is not the classic meme duhhhh

FloridaGirl

Postby FloridaGirl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:57 am

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:57 am

calicocat wrote:
rad law wrote:
r6_philly wrote:why are there no loldogz around

Because that is not the classic meme duhhhh

FloridaGirl

Postby FloridaGirl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 am

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:00 am

An offering to the thread:

--ImageRemoved--

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:03 am

prezidentv8 wrote:An offering to the thread:

--ImageRemoved--

That was unnecessary. This thread has become win because of the misdirection.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:06 am

In that case,

--ImageRemoved--

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 am

--ImageRemoved--

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 am

James Bond wrote:--ImageRemoved--

LOL

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 am

Haha cause this thread needed fixing.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:13 am

Holy shit, this thread doesn't deserve to continue.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:17 am

--ImageRemoved--

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:18 am

rad law wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Some douche crying about not being able to get into top law schools with a 150 lsat and no undergrad GPA

Postby 270910 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:55 am

qualster

Postby qualster » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 am

TTTennis wrote:
icydash wrote:
rad law wrote:
qualster wrote:OK, and another thing. I understand that OP has a unique background, etc, but what is so "unique and strong" about her reason for wanting to attend law school?

Wants to be some sort of litigator? She defended Stetson in another thread and I think mentioned it in her manifesto.

How is wanting to be a litigator a unique reason to want to go to law school?

Because she backed it up with the fact that the school(s) she wants to attend have a joint MA degree in the field she is interested in. If that's not a good enough reason for wanting to attend a school, and being a transgender drop-out isn't a good enough reason to be an amazing ls candidate, then we are all screwed.

I had to LOL a second time upon reading this post by TTTennis again this morning. Bwahahahahaha!

The Kid

Postby The Kid » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 am

Why don't you apply to a school which accepts your LSAT range? There are pretty good schools in that range.

je_ne_regrette_rien

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:49 am

I'm happy that this thread was dominated by lolcatz, because there really isn't much of a point to respond to OP anyway. Whatever we try to tell her now, life will teach her in the end.

icydash

Postby icydash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:10 pm

So when I left at 4am last night, there were like 5 pages of posts, and I was feeling pretty good about this thread turning to LOL cats.

...Waking up today and getting another two full pages of LOL cats made my morning. Thanks everyone!

=)

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:05 pm

actuallybasically wrote:Maybe I am just being a bit Pollyanna about all of this, but, it seems to me if I have a unique story and very strong case made in my personal statement, along with an undergraduate education specifically geared towards government, law, and policymaking, I have a really decent shot of getting into law school.

I just took my first (and only, hopefully) LSAT this February. Actually it was this past weekend. I think I got somewhere in the 150s range. I knew this test was not a strength of mine, and I stated in my applications before even taking the test that I went to an undergraduate institution which doesn't use ABCDF grades and standardized testing as a means of evaluation. Instead we have a system of self- and faculty evaluations of our performance. Then the professors decide how much credit we will receive for the work we did in a given quarter. My point is, testing under tightly-timed conditions is by no means my forte but to make up for that I am quite strong in my writing, communication, and also critical thinking skills BECAUSE I went to a school which focused on developing those attributes within its students. This isn't even mentioning the sometimes-obscure material we studied, which we examined from an interdisciplinary viewpoint. I am so happy I had a nonconventional education because I feel I know a whole lot about the world we live and and how it became the way it is that I might never would have otherwise known if I went to another school. I never had a professor who didn't know my name and personality, and I never had a classtime lecture with 100+ people. Thankfully.

Aside from my undergraduate education, I'm unique in the fact that I am part of a distinctly oppressed group in society. I made specific mention in my personal statements of how that affected my life and what I had done to resist the tides against me. Additionally I made the case of how I would be a groundbreaking pioneer if I was to attain a JD and actually do the type of work I wish to do with that degree. Actually all of the schools I have applied to (and I applied to 6-- again, am I being a Pollyanna?) have a JD-MA or LLM program in International Affairs or International Law so I specifically stated that I was applying to get two degrees. In other words, I wasn't just applying based on rankings, but was applying because of what the school OFFERED. I don't have the exact luxury of applying to 10-11-12-13-14 schools, because there just are not 14 schools that have a dual-degree program like I really want. Jeesh, I can't imagine how expensive that would be to apply to all of those schools! Before I decided to go to law school I was just going to apply for a Master's in International Affairs, but something clicked in me last Autumn and that all changed.

Maybe all of this is for naught. Maybe I won't get in, maybe all the hundreds of thousands of middle- and upper-class 'straight' white kids with well-bolstered backgrounds will take the spots I might have otherwise gotten at a law school. Maybe those 180 LSAT photographic-memory process-regurgitating NERDS will be the undoing of me. I don't know. But I do know that almost none of them could be as good an attorney as I can be.

...And then again, maybe all of you should be so fortunate as me to be an intersex, transgender-identified female (FOR ONCE it could help and not hurt me- hysterical). Going back to earlier in this post when I wrote about not being tested-- well, that is to say the least! I never took the SAT or ACT and I dropped out of high school in the 9th grade, despite being near the top of my class, because I couldn't take being harassed and beaten and called "[HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.]" Monday through Friday anymore. That's right, folks-- I am a high school DROP-OUT who eventually got a GED at 18 years of age and then made it to the doorstep of law school. My unique circumstances and experience, laid out in the context of what I consider to be the all-important Personal Statement just might be the edge in getting me to the point of becoming the shark litigator that I know I can be :::rrraawwrrrr:::

Maybe, just maybe, 'trans' or 'high school dropout' are the magic keywords to law school. Try it and see?

Really? No one? TLS...you let me down...

--ImageRemoved--

Honeysuckle

Re: -----

Postby Honeysuckle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 pm

The OP if she doesn't take the LSAT seriously:

qualster

Re: -----

Postby qualster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 am

actuallybasically wrote:I deleted the content of this post. The overwhelming reaction to it was simply ridiculous and not what I was intending.

Check out OP's avatar. It was a flame after all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”