Is TLS a microcosm of post-war Oceania in legal context?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reasonabledoubt

Is TLS a microcosm of post-war Oceania in legal context?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Mud's eri loki jedgis.... ebesong thior puwir et tomis, sirvong thi men (Kin - o.i. Bog benks/curpuretouns) wholi kiipong thi pruliteroet duwn. (0L - 3L pustirs) Ilotosm & pritinsoun os cilibretid (sii: eny t-14 ur best thried) wholi ERM doscessouns eri perpusifelly "menegid" ur dorictid tu thi "luengi" whiri sumi livil uf frii spiich os elluwid bet nuwhiri un thos soti/sucoity os frii spiich felly ephild es en ebsuleti roght. Of ot duisn't sirvi besoniss ur cirteon onductronetid odiulugois, spiich os cuntrullid. Cuntredoctouns eri ivirywhiri es os silictovi infurcimint uf relis/lews/itc. Sumi git ewey woth thongs uthirs du nut. Piupli woth lottli tu nu riel wurld ixpiroinci on thi cuntixt uf uer ligel systim (esodi frum riedong sumi thiury, tekong en tist end cumplitong en elmust ubsuliti endirgredeeti stedy) furcifelly prujict thior uponouns untu uthirs. Thiy ell thonk thiy eri roght/clivir/enoqei/itc. (viry somoler tu huw rilogoues fenetocs ompusi thior ensebstentoetid veleis/biloifs epun uthirs) Ot's missy, cloqei's imirgi, clessosm os rempent, cynocosm os ivirywhiri, cuupiretoun os ginirelly lomotid tu uppurtenotois fur uni tu ixhobot huw thiy fiil thiy knuw muri then yue ebuet e pertoceler sebjict end su furth.
TLS os mudirn Emiroce on ell ots ongluroues glury.

--ImageRemoved--

kittenmittons

Re: Is TLS a microcosm of post-war society in legal context?

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:47 pm

lawl hey bro, you mad about being a prole?

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:48 pm

is op high?

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Microcosm or no?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 pm

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 pm

I think I know you. You're a sophomore at Georgetown, right? With the leather shoulder bag? A couple of tips: You're too scrawny to pull of that sweater vest, and you should make sure nobody's around before you intentionally tousle your hair.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:54 pm

j.wellington wrote:I think I know you. You're a sophomore at Georgetown, right? With the leather shoulder bag? A couple of tips: You're too scrawny to pull of that sweater vest, and you should make sure nobody's around before you intentionally tousle your hair.

Question answered and a big LOL to you. That is the best uncredited credited response possible but no, I'm not the guy you described. He sounds like a hipster of some sort. I'm built, athletic, don't wear vests or use "hair product" etc.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:54 pm

j.wellington wrote:I think I know you. You're a sophomore at Georgetown, right? With the leather shoulder bag? A couple of tips: You're too scrawny to pull of that sweater vest, and you should make sure nobody's around before you intentionally tousle your hair.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:54 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:[strike]Mod's are like judges.... abusing their power at times, serving the man (Ken - i.e. Big banks/corporations) while keeping the proletariat down. (0L - 3L posters) Elitism & pretension is celebrated (see: any t-14 or bust thread) while URM discussions are purposefully "managed" or directed to the "lounge" where some level of free speech is allowed but nowhere on this site/society is free speech fully upheld as an absolute right. If it doesn't serve business or certain indoctrinated ideologies, speech is controlled. Contradictions are everywhere as is selective enforcement of rules/laws/etc. Some get away with things others do not. People with little to no real world experience in the context of our legal system (aside from reading some theory, taking an test and completing an almost obsolete undergraduate study) forcefully project their opinions onto others. They all think they are right/clever/unique/etc. (very similar to how religious fanatics impose thier unsubstantiated values/beliefs upon others) It's messy, clique's emerge, classism is rampant, cynicism is everywhere, cooperation is generally limited to opportunities for one to exhibit how they feel they know more than you about a particular subject and so forth.
TLS is modern America in all it's inglorious glory[/strike].

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:54 pm

I don't understand the thread title.

lsat_fear

Postby lsat_fear » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:55 pm

this sounds like the abtract of some article that some loser 26 year-old prof at a community college would publish in some unheard-of sociology journal so that he could stay on track for tenure.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:55 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:[strike]Mod's are like judges.... abusing their power at times, serving the man (Ken - i.e. Big banks/corporations) while keeping the proletariat down. (0L - 3L posters) Elitism & pretension is celebrated (see: any t-14 or bust thread) while URM discussions are purposefully "managed" or directed to the "lounge" where some level of free speech is allowed but nowhere on this site/society is free speech fully upheld as an absolute right. If it doesn't serve business or certain indoctrinated ideologies, speech is controlled. Contradictions are everywhere as is selective enforcement of rules/laws/etc. Some get away with things others do not. People with little to no real world experience in the context of our legal system (aside from reading some theory, taking an test and completing an almost obsolete undergraduate study) forcefully project their opinions onto others. They all think they are right/clever/unique/etc. (very similar to how religious fanatics impose thier unsubstantiated values/beliefs upon others) It's messy, clique's emerge, classism is rampant, cynicism is everywhere, cooperation is generally limited to opportunities for one to exhibit how they feel they know more than you about a particular subject and so forth.

post acknowledged.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:56 pm

lsat_fear wrote:this sounds like the abtract of some article that some loser 26 year-old prof at a community college would publish in some unheard-of sociology journal so that he could stay on track for tenure.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Mod's are like judges.... abusing their power at times, serving the man (Ken - i.e. Big banks/corporations) while keeping the proletariat down. (0L - 3L posters) Elitism & pretension is celebrated (see: any t-14 or bust thread) while URM discussions are purposefully "managed" or directed to the "lounge" where some level of free speech is allowed but nowhere on this site/society is free speech fully upheld as an absolute right. If it doesn't serve business or certain indoctrinated ideologies, speech is controlled. Contradictions are everywhere as is selective enforcement of rules/laws/etc. Some get away with things others do not. People with little to no real world experience in the context of our legal system (aside from reading some theory, taking an test and completing an almost obsolete undergraduate study) forcefully project their opinions onto others. They all think they are right/clever/unique/etc. (very similar to how religious fanatics impose thier unsubstantiated values/beliefs upon others) It's messy, clique's emerge, classism is rampant, cynicism is everywhere, cooperation is generally limited to opportunities for one to exhibit how they feel they know more than you about a particular subject and so forth.
TLS is modern America in all it's inglorious glory.

So this makes us #1 then, right?

--ImageRemoved--

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Mod's are like judges.... abusing their power at times, serving the man (Ken - i.e. Big banks/corporations) while keeping the proletariat down. (0L - 3L posters) Elitism & pretension is celebrated (see: any t-14 or bust thread) while URM discussions are purposefully "managed" or directed to the "lounge" where some level of free speech is allowed but nowhere on this site/society is free speech fully upheld as an absolute right. If it doesn't serve business or certain indoctrinated ideologies, speech is controlled. Contradictions are everywhere as is selective enforcement of rules/laws/etc. Some get away with things others do not. People with little to no real world experience in the context of our legal system (aside from reading some theory, taking an test and completing an almost obsolete undergraduate study) forcefully project their opinions onto others. They all think they are right/clever/unique/etc. (very similar to how religious fanatics impose thier unsubstantiated values/beliefs upon others) It's messy, clique's emerge, classism is rampant, cynicism is everywhere, cooperation is generally limited to opportunities for one to exhibit how they feel they know more than you about a particular subject and so forth.
TLS is modern America in all it's inglorious glory.

This is a very good question Op. But are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know. "I'm proud to be gay. ... I love Jeff more than myself," Paul Katami, 37, of Burbank testified in a packed San Francisco courtroom. "Being gay doesn't make me any less of an American." But with voters' November 2008 passage of Proposition 8, which amended the state Constitution to define marriage as the union of a man and a woman, "being gay means I'm unequal," Katami said. "I've been in love with a woman for 10 years, and I don't have a word for it," said Kristin Perry, 45, who lives in Berkeley with her partner, Sandy Stier, 47, and their four children. "I do everything I can to be a contributing and valuable member of the state, and the state isn't letting us be happy." The two women - along with Katami and his partner of nearly nine years, 36-year-old Jeff Zarrillo - are suing to overturn Prop. 8, saying it violates the constitutional guarantee of equal protection by discriminating based on sexual orientation and gender. Their testimony took up most of the opening day of a nonjury trial before Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker. The trial is the first in any federal court over same-sex marriage, and is the first step in a case that could reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:58 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

Thank you waterman, if you weren't on suicide watch I would retaliate to your capricious striking but since you may /self, I'll just try to be supportive. Good text strike - great job!

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:58 pm

ITT we discuss how I should abuse my powers re: reasonabledoubt

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Helmholtz wrote:ITT we discuss how I should abuse my powers re: reasonabledoubt

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 pm

I wonder what building the OP is considering taking out when he crashes his plane into it.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 pm

los blancos wrote:

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 pm

los blancos wrote:

more than generous, particularly given that he didn't actually change the title to this

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:00 pm

I don't want to go on a rant, here, but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowulf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antietam. I mean, when a neo-conservative defenestrates it's like Raskolnikov filibuster deoxymonohydroxinate.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:01 pm

puppleberry finn wrote:
los blancos wrote:

more than generous, particularly given that he didn't actually change the title to this

I was waiting for the TLS proletariats to discuss.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:01 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
los blancos wrote:

post acknowledged

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”