A DWAI and chances of entering a good law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mike_P

A DWAI and chances of entering a good law school

Postby Mike_P » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:14 am

Hello forum I really hope this isn't a stupid question but I have to ask and I haven't received a satisfactorily clear answer elsewhere. I am fully aware that no one will be able to guarantee me a "correct" answer, I'm just asking for opinions and/or accounts of personal experiences.

I have a 3.8 GPA and I am studying diligently to prepare for the next LSAT, however I have one sickening regret.

I was arrested for a DUI (which was dropped to a DWAI and that's what I was convicted of) three years ago. If it weren't for that I would have a clean record. I will not try to excuse my behavior because it was stupid and irresponsible, I'm just grateful no one was hurt. It is my greatest regret and although I am deeply ashamed of it I plan to be honest about it with law schools that I'm applying to. I did my community service in what was described by the judge as "record time" and took the required classes. However I felt so bad about it (especially with my plans to become a lawyer) that I've been taking an EMT course and volunteering with a fire department so that I will be trained to help save lives in the event of an emergency. I want to be an advocate for the law, not some kind of legal "red flag".

Do you think that if I explain my situation and everything I've done to try to make up for it that a good law school would be able to understand that I learned from my mistake and give me a chance? I appreciate any advice and if you read this I sincerely thank you for giving my position your consideration.

MoS

Re: A DWAI and chances of entering a good law school

Postby MoS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:13 am

Yes you can get into a good law school. They ask the question to make sure you could be admitted into the bar if you graduate. A DUI will not prevent you from this, unless you lie about it. Just be honest, write an addendum, and let them know you learned from it. It will (95%) not be a problem.

Mike_P

Postby Mike_P » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 am

OK great. Thank you so much! I'll just keep preparing for that LSAT. I really appreciate your reply.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 am

This issue comes up a lot. It isn't that big of a deal for getting into law school. Be honest on your apps. Don't do it again. A three point difference in your LSAT is much more important.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”