Where can I get in at this late date?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bgdddymtty

Where can I get in at this late date?

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:56 pm

Law school wasn't even on my radar four months ago, so I'm really scrambling to get everything done on time. I'm also 32 and have no interest in waiting until next cycle. LSAC GPA is 2.95 (there's major upward trend/extenuating circumstances stuff here, but I know it doesn't matter that much, so I won't bother with it here), and I expect my LSAT score (sat 2/6, so score will be released this week) to be 176-178. I also have an MBA, speak three languages, and am part Native American.

I had already planned to apply to UVa, Vandy, and BYU (I am LDS and did my MBA there). Any ideas on my chances given the late date? Would applying ED to UVa increase my chances significantly? What are some other Tier 1 schools where I would have a good chance of getting in/getting money at this point? Thanks for your input.
Last edited by bgdddymtty on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Where can I get in at this late date?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:01 am

bgdddymtty wrote:Law school wasn't even on my radar four months ago, so I'm really scrambling to get everything done on time. I'm also 32 and have no interest in waiting until next cycle. LSAC GPA should be 2.93 as soon as my final transcript shows up (there's major upward trend/extenuating circumstances stuff here, but I know it doesn't matter that much, so I won't bother with it here), and I expect my LSAT score (sat 2/6, so score will be released this week) to be 176-178. I also have an MBA, speak three languages, and am part Native American.

I had already planned to apply to UVa, Vandy, and BYU (I am LDS and did my MBA there). Any ideas on my chances given the late date? Would applying ED to UVa increase my chances significantly? What are some other Tier 1 schools where I would have a good chance of getting in/getting money at this point? Thanks for your input.

If you can prove your NAness apply everywhere. You'll have a URM, Splitter, and late application. All three things make your cycle unpredictable. You need to apply to a bunch of places. I'd be shocked in Northwestern doesn't take you.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:47 am

Thanks, DF. By the way, I can prove my NAness, and I really hope it helps to make up for the mid-90s grades that sk(r)ew my UGPA so badly.

Your advice begs another question: Does every school accept late applications? I had given up on top 20 except for UVa and Vandy because their app deadlines have all passed. Does anyone within the reach of my post have info on who will and won't take a legit look at a late app? Should I weave my reason for being late (I had a very late epiphany) into my PS? Throw in another addendum? Help me, Top-Law-Schools.com; you're my only hope.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:53 am

bgdddymtty wrote:Thanks, DF. By the way, I can prove my NAness, and I really hope it helps to make up for the mid-90s grades that sk(r)ew my UGPA so badly.

Your advice begs another question: Does every school accept late applications? I had given up on top 20 except for UVa and Vandy because their app deadlines have all passed. Does anyone within the reach of my post have info on who will and won't take a legit look at a late app? Should I weave my reason for being late (I had a very late epiphany) into my PS? Throw in another addendum? Help me, Top-Law-Schools.com; you're my only hope.

I don't know how to address it in an addendum (my first thought it no don't), but I'm pretty sure most schools are still taking apps. I know Northwestern extended its deadline to March1. I'm sure other schools have too.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:51 am

List of deadlines here: --LinkRemoved--
Do yourself a favor and apply in the first week of next cycle. Don't rush. You'll probably get into a better school. Good Luck

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:05 pm

I don't think it can hurt to apply this cycle. If I were you, I would go for it!
I wouldn't want to wait a whole extra year if I didn't have to.

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 am

I'm in the same boat (except I'm 33 and Mexican). I am on pins waiting for my 2/6 LSAT score. But I've had to accept that for me, applying this late could be disappointing. I decided to only apply to one school that I should be able to get in to, otherwise I will start fresh next cycle. What's one more year? I've waited this long anyway.......

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 pm

Don't ED to UVA. Apply to basically all of the top schools whose deadlines haven't passed yet. But, if you do get a 175+, wait until next cycle and apply at the very beginning to all of the T14. At least one of CCN (most likely NYU) would take a 175+/2.95 Native American, but all of their deadlines have passed for this cycle. I don't think HYS would dip down below ~3.2 even for a Native American, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to apply to them next cycle. Harvard did admit two URMs on LSN with 174-5/~3.0 in the 2007-2008 cycle (both black males).
Last edited by BenJ on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:04 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Law school wasn't even on my radar four months ago, so I'm really scrambling to get everything done on time. I'm also 32 and have no interest in waiting until next cycle. LSAC GPA is 2.95 (there's major upward trend/extenuating circumstances stuff here, but I know it doesn't matter that much, so I won't bother with it here), and I expect my LSAT score (sat 2/6, so score will be released this week) to be 176-178. I also have an MBA, speak three languages, and am part Native American.

Why are you trying to rush such an important decision?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”