MICHIGAN CHANCES Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Illini372

New

MICHIGAN CHANCES

Post by Illini372 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:47 pm

I've been to law school predictor and it gives me a strong consider. That aside, I applied pretty late (around 2/5) which I know was stupid as the deadline was 2/15. (Although I believe getting the primary app filled was sufficient for full consideration) How bad do you think this will hurt my chances? I did do the two optional essays (Why Mich and diversity) Good softs, 167, 4.04

Cycle so far, in at: Texas, Vandy, ND ($), UIUC ($$$), Wash U, Boston U, BC, USC

Thanks for any and all help

Aeon

Silver

Re: MICHIGAN CHANCES

Post by Aeon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 am

I would think that your chances are difficult to predict this late in the cycle, as your LSAT and GPA are so disparate. It is generally accepted that late applications encounter demonstrably greater scrutiny in the review process, as there are more candidates for fewer spots.

Illini372

New

Post by Illini372 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Yeah, I don't know what the hell I was thinking waiting that long, it's been a good cycle so far though, so fingers crossed

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:29 pm

I applied ED with a 3.76 and a 168 and was pushed into the RD pool, and I strongly expect a rejection in the next few weeks. Your GPA may help you a bit since it is a lot higher than mine, but the lower LSAT certainly won't. I don't think they are too good late in this cycle, but a lot of it depends on what they are looking to add to their class at this point (GPA, LSAT, etc.)

PS. Oskee-wow-wow!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:31 pm

With regard to michigan chances, I think a better questions is "What are the chances that Michigan ever gets back to us with some decisions?" Its been nearly 4 and a half months for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:36 pm

170+ 3.9+ here and not a peep from Michigan. It's beyond frustrating.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:37 pm

dakatz wrote:With regard to michigan chances, I think a better questions is "What are the chances that Michigan ever gets back to us with some decisions?" Its been nearly 4 and a half months for me.
Ditto. Nothing since my ED-no decision.

Illini372

New

Post by Illini372 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:170+ 3.9+ here and not a peep from Michigan. It's beyond frustrating.
Hey JollyGreen I didn't recognize the new pic, you had some great posts back in the September 2009 score thread. That's pretty surprising with numbers like yours, you plug that into LSP and it's hands down admit

best of luck

Lawlcat

Bronze

Post by Lawlcat » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:00 am

To the OP -- I have no idea, but Michigan seems to weight LSAT substantially more heavily than grades. (Most law schools do, but Michigan more than usual.) You might have better luck at somewhere like Boalt that puts a lot of emphasis on GPA. But really, I have no idea. I'm actually pretty well-persuaded that Michigan does in fact take a holistic view of applications; numbers matter a lot, but when you're looking at a sea of strong candidates, I think they sometimes care less about small numerical differences and more about their perceptions of your experience or personality, as wishy-washy as that sounds.

Illini372

New

Post by Illini372 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Yeah I hear you about the LSAT, on their website they also say they observe no statistical significance between a 167 and 169, softs are pretty solid I'm a TA, do a decent amount of community service, and use old spice body wash

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”