More arrests than I can count Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gareth Dream

New

Re: More arrests than I can count

Post by Gareth Dream » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:09 am

Lonagan wrote:
Gareth Dream wrote:
That's a little upsetting. The fact that I had an alcohol problem at age 21 (and before) could be a character and fitness issue? I really don't know which state I plan to practice in. I'm someone whose willing to uproot and go to the best school I can get into or whichever regional school can give me the best deal. So are there any states I should avoid?

Thanks for all the advice everyone
I will preface my statement by saying I don't know you or your situation. However, if you had an alcoholism problem then, you have one now. Whether that applies to you or not isn't for me to say. It is the first thing that popped into my mind though, and others might think the same. The only reason I mention this is that you might consider working any adenda or other explanations of your situation in a manner that reflects an understanding of the need for ongoing awareness of this problem, as opposed to simply saying it is in the past. Even if it is completely in the past, you might consider taking that approach. It may help prevent people from wondering whether this will reappear at a later date.

Anyway, just my thoughts. You know yourself better than anyone here.
Yeah, I'm well aware of that. Maybe I didn't phrase that properly. What I meant was alcohol was causing serious problems in my life then but it isn't now. Thanks for pointing that out.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Gareth Dream wrote:So I have a NUMBER of alcohol-related arrests in my past. It started before I was 21 with a couple minor in possession of alcohol charges. That was a pre-cursor. Then in about a 3-month period I had some serious problems. Had two DUIs and in this short stretch of time was picked up several times for drunk in public. I was arrested for these but never charged with anything. Basically spent the night in the drunk tank and let out next morning. I'm not exactly sure how many times this happened -- maybe about 6 (I remember one of the guards referred to me as a regular). Fortunately, the second DUI was the last arrest and I've been out of trouble for seven years.

So how will schools look at this? I clearly have a horrible alcohol problem, which I've been able to recover from. I have also been diagnosed and treating for depression, which I believe was closely tied to the drinking problems. I would definitely address these things in my P.S., though I'd rather not make it the focus if I don't have to. Will law schools still give me a chance?

Would appreciate any insights here
Fwiw, ill be applying next cycle(age 22) and I have 3 minor in consumptions(2 of which were for bullshit .02 BACs) from when I was 18 and 19. I have been told that it wont affect my cycle at all and that its really not that important that I do anything in my addendum other than disclose and dont blame anyone else for the problems. Of course, law schools do take DUIs more seriously so Im not sure how similar our situations are.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Gareth Dream wrote: That's a little upsetting. The fact that I had an alcohol problem at age 21 (and before) could be a character and fitness issue?
Attorneys are known for a shockingly high level of substance abuse, principally alcohol. This both harms clients and embarsses the profession. As a result, bar applications ask about substance abuse issues. Even if the bar you ultimately apply to doesn't specifically ask about alcohol, they will of course ask about arrests & circumstances. And you have a bunch indicating you at least once had a problem with alcohol. It will also come up with the general mental fitness self-disclosure questions, which ask something along the lines of "Is there anything wrong with you that could impact your ability to represent a client?"

Being an alcoholic is certainly germane to the question of fitness to practice law. Anything that smells like that is going to be an issue. "Issue" doesn't mean "will not be admitted." But you will almost certainly hear about it.
Last edited by ScaredWorkedBored on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Is it you, birdman?

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:40 pm

To the OP; I wrote my PS about getting sober and turning my life around. I also had several citations and one arrest due to alcohol. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them. I applied to all my schools in mid/late january so Im not entirely sure how my cycle will turn out, but you may be able to view my situation as analogous to yours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”