Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ughOSU

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby ughOSU » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Sangiovese wrote:I have nothing constructive to add for the OP... but for a bunch of future lawyers, we at TLS don't seem very good at seing both sides of an argument. Either that, or internet hyperbole is just too much fun :)

I, for one, saw both sides, but OP, a consultant, still came off as a douche, to me. OP, a consultant, posted a question asking if he, a consultant, should go to yale law school. When people's immidiate reaction was that nothing he, a consultant, was currently doing could be as good as Yale, OP, btw a consultant, tactlessly responded that his current opportunity was so great that it caused him hesitation and he, a consultant, wasn't sure he, a consultant, could give it up. What are we supposed to say to that? the board's initial response to go to YLS (what do you expect when you post this question on a LAW SCHOOL FORUM?!?!?!) was not good enough for OP, a consultant, and OP, a consultant, felt the need to explain how we didn't understand how great of an opportunity he, a consultant, had.

Now I am clearly not the pinnacle of internet tact, so I'll just echo this post in an attempt to show that OP, a consultant, should have known the response he, a consultant, was going to get:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Dude, sorry this didn't go the way you wanted it to, but consider these factors:
1) This is a board full of people who want to go to law school so badly that we post on the internet about it all day. Most of us have a hard time fully empathizing with someone who isn't sure if s/he wants to go to law school.
2) Most of us would kill to go to Yale. So your dilemma just became even harder for us to grasp.
And most importantly:
3) The only person who can answer your question is someone who knows exactly how necessary or helpful a YLS JD will be when pursuing a political career. You need to talk to someone who is an expert on political career paths, and if there are any such people on TLS, evidently they're ignoring you out of YLS-related bitterness. You need to find a way more knowledgeable source of advice for this one.

e: this is one of the douchiest posts I, an internet douche, have ever made, and I'm sure that OP, a consultant, did not deserve to have the thread deteriorate into this. Apologies, but internet hyperbole is a lot of fun for me, an internet douche.
Last edited by ughOSU on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.
-Vonnegut

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:14 pm

Iuvo wrote:Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.
-Vonnegut

This is the comma thread. The semicolon thread is over there ----------->

:mrgreen:

By the way... That quote, which I had not head before, is awesome. Vonnegut FTW!

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Iuvo wrote:Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.
-Vonnegut

I like semicolons; they get the job done.

Redelicious

Postby Redelicious » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Op. do not be an ass; get your ass to Yale.

I like semicolons too!

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:35 pm

So it goes.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:16 pm

betasteve wrote:Honestly, who says druthers and isn't quoting some academic windbag or someone from the 40's?

Apparently... people who can get into YLS :)

:twisted:

fortiesmaster

Postby fortiesmaster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Sangiovese wrote:As for the utility of soliciting advice from anonymous posters on an internet forum... it is a really bad idea if you intend to just blindly follow whatever the majority of posters say. However, there is a chance that someone may actually mention something that you had not yet considered. Something that you can then factor into your own decision making. The odds of gathering such a useful bit from a post on a forum like this may be small, but so is the investment in asking the question. In my book, it's well worth the time to post a question like that and hope that there is one person out there who provides something to think about.

Just wanted to say: that's exactly what I was looking to do. I figured that this forum was a place where people had made a decision for themselves, due to whatever factors, to attend law school. I imagined that some of these same people may have had motivations/aspirations/goals similar to my own. They may have weighed the law school choice against other options, and I was looking to hear why they chose the way they did. Others may have picked law school for completely different reasons and have some insight as to why a good JD would work great for their goals but wouldn't be appropriate for mine.

I also recognize that my dilemma is a great one to have, in that I'm stuck choosing between two great alternatives.

What I didn't realize is that, basically, whatever utility I might have gained in trying to ask for thoughts on this would be totally drowned out by bitterness and self-regarding snark.

I'm sorry if I used commas in this post, but I speak English.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
watts wrote:This thread, by a consultant, and full of parenthetical commas, is funny.

This.

Sangiovese wrote:
betasteve wrote:Honestly, who says druthers and isn't quoting some academic windbag or someone from the 40's?

Apparently... people who can get into YLS :)

:twisted:

And this.

Hilarious.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Nightrunner, I implore you to quote me in making your 4,000th post.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:33 pm

flame.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:08 pm

fortiesmaster wrote:Just wanted to say: that's exactly what I was looking to do. I figured that this forum was a place where people had made a decision for themselves, due to whatever factors, to attend law school. I imagined that some of these same people may have had motivations/aspirations/goals similar to my own. They may have weighed the law school choice against other options, and I was looking to hear why they chose the way they did. Others may have picked law school for completely different reasons and have some insight as to why a good JD would work great for their goals but wouldn't be appropriate for mine.

I also recognize that my dilemma is a great one to have, in that I'm stuck choosing between two great alternatives.

What I didn't realize is that, basically, whatever utility I might have gained in trying to ask for thoughts on this would be totally drowned out by bitterness and self-regarding snark.

See, if you, a consultant, had just dropped the retarded superfluous commas in the first place everyone would have realized that you, a consultant, had reasonable questions and concerns to address. I'm sorry, but the commas are really that ridiculous.

I'm going to stop flaming this thread now. Good luck in your fantastic dilemma! I'm sure you'll be able to figure out something that will work out for you.

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
-Vonnegut

I like semicolons; they get the job done.

Elitist.

muahawhawhaw

Postby muahawhawhaw » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Read The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho). You only live once, so you may as well explore your passions, even the farcical ones (although none of them are farcical for a YLS grad). Like some earlier posters said, if all falls apart you can go back to consulting.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:29 pm

CONSULTANTSSSSS!!!!!!

Now that I've got you're attention, who is living the green dot life? TTT Deloitte.

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:44 pm

betasteve wrote:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/´¯/)
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/¯,,/
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,/,,,,/
,,,,,,,,,,,,,/´¯/;,,,;/´¯¯`·¸
,,,,,,,,,,/;/,,,/,,,,/,,,,,,,/¨¯\
,,,,,,,,(;(,,,´,,,´,,,, ¯~/;,,,;)
,,,,,,,,,\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,;,,,,,/
,,,,,,,,,,;;,,,\,,,,,,,,,, _,·´
,,,,,,,,,,,,\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,\,,,,,,,,,,,,,\,,,

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:44 pm

lol at people defending the idea of flaming the guy because of his use of commas

Sure :wink:

PigNipple

Postby PigNipple » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 pm

The cat tends to agree with you Borhas. lol

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:01 pm

Cuz I r smrt!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”