Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fortiesmaster
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:03 am

Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby fortiesmaster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:44 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to solicit some opinion here. I'm cross-posting this, please don't be PO'ed, I just don't know where is most appropriate.

I'm a mid-20s, and successful, consultant in technology and financial services. I make a moderate six-figure salary. I have been quickly promoted, and I stand to enter the management of my firm.

BUT, I'm not sure that my heart's in it. I've always been most animated by international politics and economics, and if I had my druthers, I would enter some kind of policy and politics career.

So, I applied to law school, and I was admitted to Yale, among others. My question now is: is this a good idea? Will law school get me where I want to be? Or pigeonhole me into somewhere I never intended to set foot?

Should I just be happy and stick with my current career? Go to law school and parlay that into a Washington career? Or do something else entirely to get there?

Thanks much for any insight.

cylusr
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:03 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby cylusr » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:54 am

Why did you apply to law school if you don't want to go to law school? It seems counter productive.

qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby qualster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:01 am

fortiesmaster wrote:Hi all,

Just wanted to solicit some opinion here. I'm cross-posting this, please don't be PO'ed, I just don't know where is most appropriate.

I'm a mid-20s, and successful, consultant in technology and financial services. I make a moderate six-figure salary. I have been quickly promoted, and I stand to enter the management of my firm.

BUT, I'm not sure that my heart's in it. I've always been most animated by international politics and economics, and if I had my druthers, I would enter some kind of policy and politics career.

So, I applied to law school, and I was admitted to Yale, among others. My question now is: is this a good idea? Will law school get me where I want to be? Or pigeonhole me into somewhere I never intended to set foot?

Should I just be happy and stick with my current career? Go to law school and parlay that into a Washington career? Or do something else entirely to get there?

Thanks much for any insight.


You, a consultant, should.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby holydonkey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:02 am

qualster wrote:
fortiesmaster wrote:Hi all,

Just wanted to solicit some opinion here. I'm cross-posting this, please don't be PO'ed, I just don't know where is most appropriate.

I'm a mid-20s, and successful, consultant in technology and financial services. I make a moderate six-figure salary. I have been quickly promoted, and I stand to enter the management of my firm.

BUT, I'm not sure that my heart's in it. I've always been most animated by international politics and economics, and if I had my druthers, I would enter some kind of policy and politics career.

So, I applied to law school, and I was admitted to Yale, among others. My question now is: is this a good idea? Will law school get me where I want to be? Or pigeonhole me into somewhere I never intended to set foot?

Should I just be happy and stick with my current career? Go to law school and parlay that into a Washington career? Or do something else entirely to get there?

Thanks much for any insight.


You, a consultant, should.


You, a poster, have TCR.

User avatar
EdmundBurke23
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:37 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:07 am

You, just like many others, should go to Yale Law School.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:07 am

Uh, I can't really see the downside for you. Worst case scenario seems like you spend three years, get a ultra-prestigious degree, and go back to making a (likely larger) moderate six figures as a consultant. Best case scenario seems like you're the next Tim Geithner.

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby Reinhardt » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:09 am

Figure out whether you want to be in the company of these people:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ya ... ool_alumni

Interesting fact - Ben Stein was #1 in his YLS class.

fortiesmaster
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:03 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby fortiesmaster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:19 am

I'm sorry, I'm new here, and no amount of Googling (or checking UrbanDictionary) seems to answer this: "TCR"?

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby iShotFirst » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:21 am

fortiesmaster wrote:I'm sorry, I'm new here, and no amount of Googling (or checking UrbanDictionary) seems to answer this: "TCR"?


http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=titcr

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby tinman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:25 am

I think you would love Yale. It offers all the freedom you could want. It will certainly open a lot of doors.

The downside: the financial cost (cost of tuition, lost wages during those three years, etc).
Given you six-figure job, you may not be eligible for much financial aid.

Congrats! And good luck deciding.

fortiesmaster
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:03 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby fortiesmaster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:26 am

iShotFirst wrote:
fortiesmaster wrote:I'm sorry, I'm new here, and no amount of Googling (or checking UrbanDictionary) seems to answer this: "TCR"?


http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=titcr


Ahhhh... thank you for compensating for what are my apparently poor internet chops.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:48 am

ITT: Should OP, a consultant, brag about his acceptance to Yale law school?

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:49 am

I think that the OP is either a flame or incredibly self-aggrandizing (my money is on flame though). There are a lot of things in your post that simply do not add up. If you are intelligent enough to make the cut for Yale, you know well enough not to create such an idiot post. Furthermore, what does being a consultant have to do with it? Assuming that you work at the likes of a McKinsey, BCG, Bain, or Booz, you are unlikely to advance much further without a graduate degree (JD, MBA, or PhD).

User avatar
chadwick218
Posts: 1337
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:53 am

OP, although I am harsh, I am also very curious. What topic did you select for the 500 word essay?

fortiesmaster
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:03 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby fortiesmaster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:59 am

Chadwick: you follow accusatory with curious. That's kinda mean, especially the part where you call me an idiot. I'm really a consultant, I'm really admitted into Yale. As for my essay, it's 250 words, not 500, and what I selected was (no joke) my take on the Westphalian international political order. I got "orgy of bloodshed" in those 250 somewhere, and I guess that got me in.

I'm not at a big-name consulting firm. I'm at a very up-and-coming boutique shop, and I am advancing in a rapid and promising way, as the firm doesn't give a crap about advanced degrees. So, I have a very good thing going. That's what makes this such a hard choice: I have a really great opportunity in consulting, but am wondering if Yale would get me the kind of work I really want.

Insight, and not bitter crap, is much appreciated.

User avatar
PigNipple
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby PigNipple » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:06 am

If you are as bright a consultant as you say, why are you asking a bunch of random strangers for life altering advice? If you are who you say you are, you've got to have contacts, places, sources for your advice that are better than resorting to this. Give me a break! Oh, but before you go I had a couple of questions for you. Back in 1996 I invested in Google. Obviously I made a killing, but I am just getting downright bored with my good fortune. It has been my desire to get into the technology sector for a while now and have been offered a highly influential position, Vice President of Operations, which will allow me to work directly with Steve Jobs in the Apple corporation. Now, if I accepted Apple's position I would need to sell my Google stock, as it would be a conflict of interest to maintain a share of ownership in one of Apple's main competitors. As you can see, either decision I make, my good fortune is outrageously phenomenal. And obviously I am a highly competent person capable of extremely sound decisions, as you should understand from my scenario. But what I want now is for you - a complete stranger who's identity could be entirely fictional - to weigh in on this. Thanks much for any insight.

fortiesmaster
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:03 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby fortiesmaster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:09 am

PigNipple wrote:If you are as bright a consultant as you say, why are you asking a bunch of random strangers for life altering advice? If you are who you say you are, you've got to have contacts, places, sources for your advice that are better than resorting to this. Give me a break!


OK, fine, you're right, this has been a completely useless exercise. I hope you all enjoyed it. Bye.

qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby qualster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 am

fortiesmaster wrote:Chadwick: you follow accusatory with curious. That's kinda mean, especially the part where you call me an idiot. I'm really a consultant, I'm really admitted into Yale. As for my essay, it's 250 words, not 500, and what I selected was (no joke) my take on the Westphalian international political order. I got "orgy of bloodshed" in those 250 somewhere, and I guess that got me in.

I'm not at a big-name consulting firm. I'm at a very up-and-coming boutique shop, and I am advancing in a rapid and promising way, as the firm doesn't give a crap about advanced degrees. So, I have a very good thing going. That's what makes this such a hard choice: I have a really great opportunity in consulting, but am wondering if Yale would get me the kind of work I really want.

Insight, and not bitter crap, is much appreciated.


Seriously, if you want to study law, go to Yale. Yale is the best law school in the country, according to some dude I talked to the other day.

User avatar
PigNipple
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby PigNipple » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:26 am

qualster wrote:
fortiesmaster wrote:Chadwick: you follow accusatory with curious. That's kinda mean, especially the part where you call me an idiot. I'm really a consultant, I'm really admitted into Yale. As for my essay, it's 250 words, not 500, and what I selected was (no joke) my take on the Westphalian international political order. I got "orgy of bloodshed" in those 250 somewhere, and I guess that got me in.

I'm not at a big-name consulting firm. I'm at a very up-and-coming boutique shop, and I am advancing in a rapid and promising way, as the firm doesn't give a crap about advanced degrees. So, I have a very good thing going. That's what makes this such a hard choice: I have a really great opportunity in consulting, but am wondering if Yale would get me the kind of work I really want.

Insight, and not bitter crap, is much appreciated.


Seriously, if you want to study law, go to Yale. Yale is the best law school in the country, according to some dude I talked to the other day.


Hey, I know that dude, good dude!

qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby qualster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:28 am

PigNipple wrote:
qualster wrote:
fortiesmaster wrote:Chadwick: you follow accusatory with curious. That's kinda mean, especially the part where you call me an idiot. I'm really a consultant, I'm really admitted into Yale. As for my essay, it's 250 words, not 500, and what I selected was (no joke) my take on the Westphalian international political order. I got "orgy of bloodshed" in those 250 somewhere, and I guess that got me in.

I'm not at a big-name consulting firm. I'm at a very up-and-coming boutique shop, and I am advancing in a rapid and promising way, as the firm doesn't give a crap about advanced degrees. So, I have a very good thing going. That's what makes this such a hard choice: I have a really great opportunity in consulting, but am wondering if Yale would get me the kind of work I really want.

Insight, and not bitter crap, is much appreciated.


Seriously, if you want to study law, go to Yale. Yale is the best law school in the country, according to some dude I talked to the other day.


Hey, I know that dude, good dude!


He also told me to wear running shoes when I run. I used to wear basketball shoes. No more blisters and I'm running sub 55 minute 10K runs now.

Annie09
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:32 am

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby Annie09 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:59 am

You don't need to go to law school to go into politics. Politics and law are different. Sure, many politicians went to law school, but it not necessary by any means. If you want to go somewhere for the political connections, you might think about a program that teaches you more about politics, policy and governing -- maybe the Kennedy School, for instance. You can also get involved with politics where you are right now. Start attending fundraisers, start throwing fundraisers, get to know the political people where you live. If you want a more international scope, start getting involved with organizations that work in the areas you're interested in.

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby yeff » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:40 am

qualster wrote:
PigNipple wrote:
qualster wrote:
fortiesmaster wrote:Chadwick: you follow accusatory with curious. That's kinda mean, especially the part where you call me an idiot. I'm really a consultant, I'm really admitted into Yale. As for my essay, it's 250 words, not 500, and what I selected was (no joke) my take on the Westphalian international political order. I got "orgy of bloodshed" in those 250 somewhere, and I guess that got me in.

I'm not at a big-name consulting firm. I'm at a very up-and-coming boutique shop, and I am advancing in a rapid and promising way, as the firm doesn't give a crap about advanced degrees. So, I have a very good thing going. That's what makes this such a hard choice: I have a really great opportunity in consulting, but am wondering if Yale would get me the kind of work I really want.

Insight, and not bitter crap, is much appreciated.


Seriously, if you want to study law, go to Yale. Yale is the best law school in the country, according to some dude I talked to the other day.


Hey, I know that dude, good dude!


He also told me to wear running shoes when I run. I used to wear basketball shoes. No more blisters and I'm running sub 55 minute 10K runs now.


Totally off topic, but ditch the shoes.
http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303

User avatar
PigNipple
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby PigNipple » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:51 am

fortiesmaster wrote:
PigNipple wrote:If you are as bright a consultant as you say, why are you asking a bunch of random strangers for life altering advice? If you are who you say you are, you've got to have contacts, places, sources for your advice that are better than resorting to this. Give me a break!


OK, fine, you're right, this has been a completely useless exercise. I hope you all enjoyed it. Bye.


Great, well now that we have sorted all of that out we can focus on my more pressing issues. As a technology and financial consutant what would you, in your expert opinion, recomend. Again, I'm in a bind here and could really use your advice. Should I just be happy and stay with my current career as a Google baron? Cash in my financial fortune with Google and pursue a career as a technology guru with Apple as their VP? Or do something else entirely to get there? Please don't be PO'ed, this is a serious issue requiring your deft assessment.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:06 am

Dude, sorry this didn't go the way you wanted it to, but consider these factors:
1) This is a board full of people who want to go to law school so badly that we post on the internet about it all day. Most of us have a hard time fully empathizing with someone who isn't sure if s/he wants to go to law school.
2) Most of us would kill to go to Yale. So your dilemma just became even harder for us to grasp.
And most importantly:
3) The only person who can answer your question is someone who knows exactly how necessary or helpful a YLS JD will be when pursuing a political career. You need to talk to someone who is an expert on political career paths, and if there are any such people on TLS, evidently they're ignoring you out of YLS-related bitterness. You need to find a way more knowledgeable source of advice for this one.

User avatar
Experimental Section
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Should I, a consultant, go to Yale law school?

Postby Experimental Section » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:17 am

PigNipple, still bitter about that Yale rejection, eh?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Snowjon and 2 guests