Requesting to retake the LSAT for a 4th time within 2 years

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MissLucky

Requesting to retake the LSAT for a 4th time within 2 years

Postby MissLucky » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Last edited by MissLucky on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissLucky

Re: Requesting to retake the LSAT for a 4th time within 2 years

Postby MissLucky » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Bump

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:17 pm

First off, wait at least a day to bump a thread. Not 30 minutes.

Second, this is only from what I've seen on these boards, but you need a really substantial reason why you should be allowed to take for a fourth time. Choking is not that reason.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:22 pm

I remember reading in a thread awhile ago about someone who had made this request and had it granted by the school. I don't think he had a significantly better reason. I would think most schools would not have a problem granting this request, esp since it could benefit them if you can get a better score so they can try and snap you off their waitlist. I don't have any personal experience with this so I really can't offer much actual advice though.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I remember reading in a thread awhile ago about someone who had made this request and had it granted by the school. I don't think he had a significantly better reason. I would think most schools would not have a problem granting this request, esp since it could benefit them if you can get a better score so they can try and snap you off their waitlist. I don't have any personal experience with this so I really can't offer much actual advice though.

Thanks Richie Tenenbaum...anyone else have experience with this?

and manbearwig - chillax with the snarkiness.

qualster

Postby qualster » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:36 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I remember reading in a thread awhile ago about someone who had made this request and had it granted by the school. I don't think he had a significantly better reason. I would think most schools would not have a problem granting this request, esp since it could benefit them if you can get a better score so they can try and snap you off their waitlist. I don't have any personal experience with this so I really can't offer much actual advice though.

Here's how I think this could work. If you've applied to a school this year and they deny you, just tell them that you really want to attend and that you are retaking the LSAT in hopes of scoring higher and increasing your chances of getting in next year. Tell them that you didn't get in anywhere you would like to attend, so you are reapplying but would like to increase your chances of admission significantly. The LSAT is pretty much the only way to do that. They may appreciate your love for their school and gladly grant your request. Seems reasonable.

Disclaimer: This may be awful advice. I know very little about the admissions process but this seems like a solid approach to me.

LSAC should increase the number of times the test can be taken within a two year period to 4 or 5. With all of the studying, prepping, etc, that goes on, would it really make a difference? I guess I don't know what there reason is for the limit of three anyway. Anybody?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:42 pm

qualster wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

Here's how I think this could work. If you've applied to a school this year and they deny you, just tell them that you really want to attend and that you are retaking the LSAT in hopes of scoring higher and increasing your chances of getting in next year. Tell them that you didn't get in anywhere you would like to attend, so you are reapplying but would like to increase your chances of admission significantly. The LSAT is pretty much the only way to do that. They may appreciate your love for their school and gladly grant your request. Seems reasonable.

Disclaimer: This may be awful advice. I know very little about the admissions process but this seems like a solid approach to me.

LSAC should increase the number of times the test can be taken within a two year period to 4 or 5. With all of the studying, prepping, etc, that goes on, would it really make a difference? I guess I don't know what there reason is for the limit of three anyway. Anybody?

+1 to this advice
-1 to allowing everyone to take the LSAT as many time as they want. If you have fucked up three times and you think you can improve your performance then you should have to at least put in a little effort (emailing a law school).

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:43 pm

Write waiver request letter to the admissions office of a school to which you've applied. Don't go into details about choking -- just say that you feel you still have not been able to achieve a score that reflects your ability, and that you want to try again. Most places, I think, would just give it to you. What's it to them?

Once you get the waiver, try to figure out what is causing all this choking and deal with it. A fourth LSAT with the same score after all this trouble won't look good.
Last edited by autarkh on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qualster

Postby qualster » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
qualster wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

+1 to this advice
-1 to allowing everyone to take the LSAT as many time as they want. If you have fucked up three times and you think you can improve your performance then you should have to at least put in a little effort (emailing a law school).

Thank you for the +1. No thank you on the -1.

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:51 pm

wait LSAC only allows you to take the LSAT three times in a two year period?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:57 pm

thegor1987 wrote:wait LSAC only allows you to take the LSAT three times in a two year period?

yep

[1L]Hopeful

Postby [1L]Hopeful » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Law Schools don't care how many times you took the LSAT.

NO ONE CARES.

Just submit your highest. and do yourself a favor - don't take it unless you're really ready.

But again, schools don't give a behind about # of lsats.

I speak from personal experience.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:11 pm

[1L]Hopeful wrote:Law Schools don't care how many times you took the LSAT.
NO ONE CARES.

Just submit your highest. and do yourself a favor - don't take it unless you're really ready.

Fall off a cliff and die.

Or, at least stop assaulting me with absurd fonts. It doesn't make your point any stronger.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:14 pm

It is not possible to "just submit your highest." LSAC will report all scores for tests taken in the last 5 years.

[1L]Hopeful

Postby [1L]Hopeful » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Renzo wrote:
[1L]Hopeful wrote:Law Schools don't care how many times you took the LSAT.
NO ONE CARES.

Fall off a cliff and die.

Or, at least stop assaulting me with absurd fonts. It doesn't make your point any stronger.

YES IT DOES

+

--ImageRemoved--

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:16 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:wait LSAC only allows you to take the LSAT three times in a two year period?

yep

goddd now I really hope I didn't underperform on the Feb. test or I'm screwed.

[1L]Hopeful

Postby [1L]Hopeful » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:18 pm

musicfor18 wrote:It is not possible to "just submit your highest." LSAC will report all scores for tests taken in the last 5 years.

true, but the point is that if Renzo didn't get it, IT DOESNT MATTER THAT YOU HAVE MULTIPLE +4, +5 LSAT SCORE.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:23 pm

[1L]Hopeful wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:It is not possible to "just submit your highest." LSAC will report all scores for tests taken in the last 5 years.

true, but the point is that if Renzo didn't get it, IT DOESNT MATTER THAT YOU HAVE MULTIPLE +4, +5 LSAT SCORE.

You're a simpleton, so I didn't and won't argue your wrong and ignorant opinion. I just want you to pretend you have manners.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:29 pm

[1L]Hopeful wrote:

Please, for all that is good in this world, make the caps stop.

[1L]Hopeful

Postby [1L]Hopeful » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Renzo wrote:
[1L]Hopeful wrote:

You're a simpleton, so I didn't and won't argue your wrong and ignorant opinion. I just want you to pretend you have manners.

Sorry, I didn't know you were so sensitive to caps-lock. I hope that we can put this behind us and be good friends from now on, like type of a friend you hold hands with as you walk down the streets of downtown.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:25 am

tagged

Paulzilla

Postby Paulzilla » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm

gwuorbust wrote:

yep

does being marked absent count towards your 3 attempts?

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Paulzilla wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

yep

does being marked absent count towards your 3 attempts?

no I don't think it does.

does anyone who went through this have a template of what they wrote to an adcomm requesting they contact LSAC for a 4th take on their behalf? many many thanks

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”