LORs and out of school for 3 years Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nygal102

New

LORs and out of school for 3 years

Post by nygal102 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:25 pm

So I plan on applying for the Fall 2011 entry, and I've been thinking about who I should get to write my LORs. I graduated college in January 2007, and then did a 9 month internship, now I've been at my current job for about 2 years. I can't get a LOR from my current manager, as she doesn't know that I plan on switching careers and telling her may hurt my chances of raises/promotions in the meantime. I plan on using my one LOR from my internship director from 2 years ago, although my contact with her has been dwindling. I can get a LOR from a coworker currently as well. Do those two LORs sound good enough, or should I focus on getting "better" ones. Ideas?

Thanks!

BenJ

Silver

Re: LORs and out of school for 3 years

Post by BenJ » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Almost all law schools want at least one academic recommendation from a professor. This is not strictly necessary, and they will ignore the lack of an academic recommendation for someone a long time out of school. However, for someone only three years out of undergrad, they will expect you to have a recommendation from a professor.

I would not have a coworker write a recommendation. Recommendations should come from a superior.

nygal102

New

Re: LORs and out of school for 3 years

Post by nygal102 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”