Higher ranked school or regional school where you want to... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
icydash

Bronze

Higher ranked school or regional school where you want to...

Post by icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:53 am

practice?

The question is basically:
If I want to practice in New York (but didn't get into a top New York school), and the choice is between Cardozo/Brooklyn, or the highest ranked school I've gotten in to (Emory, which is significantly higher in rank than my NY schools), what do you think is the better option (strong regional VS higher rank)?

Thanks!

ViP

Bronze

Re: Higher ranked school or regional school where you want to...

Post by ViP » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:04 am

icydash wrote:practice?

If I want to practice in New York (but didn't get into a top New York school), and the choice is between Cardozo/Brooklyn, or the highest ranked school I've gotten in to (Emory, which is significantly higher in rank than my NY schools), what do you think is the better option (strong regional VS higher rank)?

Thanks!
I really don't mean to rub it in if it's true (on the contrary), but were you really rejected to Fordham and accepted to Emory?!

Cardozo is a pretty good school, but New York has stiff competition. Emory is a good school but you might want to look into the specifics of its presence in NY.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:21 am

ViP wrote:

Thanks!
I really don't mean to rub it in if it's true (on the contrary), but were you really rejected to Fordham and accepted to Emory?!

Cardozo is a pretty good school, but New York has stiff competition. Emory is a good school but you might want to look into the specifics of its presence in NY.
Strangely enough, waitlisted at Fordham, which for now i'll count as a rejection.

I'm also a weird candidate with some strong softs...which may account for the waitlist at fordham and acceptance at emory---but i'm as confused as you are.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:29 am

ViP wrote:

Thanks!

You think that's weird? I was waitlisted at Fordham and accepted at Chicago, and it sure wasn't a case of YP or anything like that.

treeey86

Bronze

Post by treeey86 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:02 am

Emory will get you to NYC. There are a bunch of NY people here looking to go back after school, and most of them already have internships in the city lined up. Ease of networking is probably not the same as dozo due to the fact that Emory is far away, but its semi-national name carries into NYC very well.

My advice is Emory is the safer bet. Decent grades and/or a little leg work by you will get you into NYC. If NYC does not pan out, you have Atlanta, DC, and the other small southern markets to fall back on. For dozo, it is NYC or bust. Plus, with cost of living calculated into things, Emory is probably cheaper to attend than dozo, which means you get to go to a higher ranked school for less ( without calculating any scholly $$$ of course).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:20 am

treeey86 wrote:Emory will get you to NYC. There are a bunch of NY people here looking to go back after school, and most of them already have internships in the city lined up. Ease of networking is probably not the same as dozo due to the fact that Emory is far away, but its semi-national name carries into NYC very well.

My advice is Emory is the safer bet. Decent grades and/or a little leg work by you will get you into NYC. If NYC does not pan out, you have Atlanta, DC, and the other small southern markets to fall back on. For dozo, it is NYC or bust. Plus, with cost of living calculated into things, Emory is probably cheaper to attend than dozo, which means you get to go to a higher ranked school for less ( without calculating any scholly $$$ of course).
Very good to know (I assume from your post you go to Emory so this is all first hand knowledge). Thanks for your insight.

Just out of curiosity, what were your GPA/LSAT stats?

treeey86

Bronze

Post by treeey86 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:37 am

pmed

therealellewoods

New

Post by therealellewoods » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:52 pm

treeey86 wrote:Emory will get you to NYC. There are a bunch of NY people here looking to go back after school, and most of them already have internships in the city lined up. Ease of networking is probably not the same as dozo due to the fact that Emory is far away, but its semi-national name carries into NYC very well.

This is solid advice. I'm in a similar situation... WL at Fordham, but also accepted to Indiana Bloomington. I live in Philly now, so I'm still waiting on a couple Philly schools, especially Temple.

Wasn't really considering IU... but it is T-30. If I want to practice in the Mid-Atlantic region, where my best bet?

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:22 pm

therealellewoods wrote:

This is solid advice. I'm in a similar situation... WL at Fordham, but also accepted to Indiana Bloomington. I live in Philly now, so I'm still waiting on a couple Philly schools, especially Temple.

Wasn't really considering IU... but it is T-30. If I want to practice in the Mid-Atlantic region, where my best bet?
(I am seriously becoming the yay!Temple chick on this forum, but oh well.)

Anyway, do you want to practice in Philly, or the Philly area? Because, if you do, after Penn, Temple is your best bet (with Villanova a close third). From what I've heard/read, Philly can be pretty insular regarding regional law schools. I turned down T30 schools for Temple because I want to stay in Philly. (And I got a really substantial scholarship.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”