LSAT AND GMAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Underoath

LSAT AND GMAT?

Postby Underoath » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:37 am

Some guy just told me AFTER I told him I'm studying for the LSAT that he is also studying for the LSAT and that he just took the GMAT.

He said he wants to do a dual degree and either go to Harvard, Stanford, or UCLA.

Is he being honest? I thought for law school you only needed the LSAT.

Thanks

r6_philly

Re: LSAT AND GMAT?

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:41 am

You need other tests for the dual degree. Second degree usually has its own admissions procedure which may require other grad admission tests.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 am

r6_philly wrote:You need other tests for the dual degree. Second degree usually has its own admissions procedure which may require other grad admission tests.

When he says dual degree what does he mean? Like the LLM or something?

It just seems like he is not being truthful that's all.

loveistheway

Postby loveistheway » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:44 am

JD/MBA

/thread

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:47 am

loveistheway wrote:JD/MBA

/thread

WOW...he should of just said that then. Law schools offer an MBA though? Thats what Im confused on........How can one obtain a JD while going to school full tme and a MBA?

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:50 am

A lot of law schools have joint JD/MBA (masters in business, hence the GMAT) degrees that you can do in 4 years instead of the typical five years if you do them separately (3 for the JD and the typical 2 years for the MBA).

However, to get into the joint JD/MBA program, you usually have to get through separate admissions processes for each degree. Hence the LSAT for the law school part, and the GMAT for the business school part.

It's common, and he's being entirely truthful. A lot of people do this.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:51 am

Underoath wrote:
loveistheway wrote:JD/MBA

/thread

WOW...he should of just said that then. Law schools offer an MBA though? Thats what Im confused on........How can one obtain a JD while going to school full tme and a MBA?

Law schools are usually part of a bigger school, for instance Harvard Law School is part of Harvard, which also has a business school. If the school has both a business school and a law school, it probably offers a JD/MBA joint degree.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:53 am

JD/MBA. Gotta be the useless degree ever

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:55 am

JustDude wrote:JD/MBA. Gotta be the useless degree ever

why is it useless? i've heard a lot of people say different things about it, i'm interested in your take on the joint degree.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:57 am

I think Penn students are knocking each other over getting into Wharton. I am going with a different degree, MS in CS, MA in philosophy or religious studies or MGA, haven't decided. But I don't feel like taking the GRE so who knows.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 am

icydash wrote:

why is it useless? i've heard a lot of people say different things about it, i'm interested in your take on the joint degree.

No job needs both. If you get a job, you will be using either one or another.

However, it will make you overqualified for that job, and employers are mor likely to go with single degree holder.

If it is not a top school, you will be unemployed regardless wether it is just MBA or JD or JD/MBA combined

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:06 am

In the same boat. Taking a GMAT course right now.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:08 am

Ragged wrote:In the same boat. Taking a GMAT course right now.

If you need a GMAT course you are borderline retarded

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:11 am

JustDude wrote:
icydash wrote:

However, it will make you overqualified for that job, and employers are mor likely to go with single degree holder.

If it is not a top school, you will be unemployed regardless wether it is just MBA or JD or JD/MBA combined

Say he wanted to do corporate law or something is the degree still useless then?

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:14 am

Underoath wrote:
JustDude wrote:
icydash wrote:

Say he wanted to do corporate law or something is the degree still useless then?

I would say so. For corporate law you need JD with connections, not JD with MBA.

donzoli

Postby donzoli » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:21 am

JustDude wrote:

What did you score on the GMAT?

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:24 am

donzoli wrote:
JustDude wrote:

What did you score on the GMAT?

I took it for teaching. 780. Could do better, but if you get 800 they prohibit you from taking it for 5 years. I want to be able to take it once a year.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:27 am

JustDude wrote:
icydash wrote:

A lot of people i know of start in law and lateral to business. This is where the MBA comes in. People will start in like IP law or corporate/business law, and then venture out on their own starting their own firms/businesses/being entrepreneurial. I think it can be a pretty useful degree to have depending on your long term goals.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:31 am

icydash wrote:
A lot of people i know of start in law and lateral to business. This is where the MBA comes in. People will start in like IP law or corporate/business law, and then venture out on their own starting their own firms/business/being entrepreneurial. I think it can be a pretty useful degree to have depending on your long term goals.

Demented.

MBA is not a degree. Its not a real knowledge. Its a club where you make connections and network for 2 years. And different schools - different clubs. To get JD/MBA in order to use MA "on long term goals" is insane. It will hinder you more then it will help you.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:39 am

JustDude wrote:
icydash wrote:
A lot of people i know of start in law and lateral to business. This is where the MBA comes in. People will start in like IP law or corporate/business law, and then venture out on their own starting their own firms/business/being entrepreneurial. I think it can be a pretty useful degree to have depending on your long term goals.

Demented.

MBA is not a degree. Its not a real knowledge. Its a club where you make connections and network for 2 years. And different schools - different clubs. To get JD/MBA in order to use MA "on long term goals" is insane. It will hinder you more then it will help you.

I understand what you mean when you say it's a club where you network for two years. However, I've taken a few business classes, and while this is spot on, you do learn some useful/important strategy. The majority of what you get out of business school IS the connections, though.

However, I bet if you want to do corporate/business law, doing a joint JD/MBA at Harvard/Stanford/etc and getting to know all those MBA students will bring you some future huge clients. I think it could be a smart move depending on your long term goals. In the end I bet you could use those connections to bring in huge/many clients, if not lateral to business and have the foundation you need.
Last edited by icydash on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 am

icydash wrote:
I understand what you mean when you say it's a club where you network for two years. However, I've taken a few business classes, and while this is spot on, you do learn some useful/important strategy. Also, I bet if you want to do corporate/business law, doing a joint JD/MBA at Harvard/Stanford/etc, and getting to know all those MBA students, will bring you some future huge clients. I think it's a smart move. In the end I bet you'll use those connections to bring in huge/many clients, if not lateral to business and have the foundation you need.

Well you might try to defend it, if it is from Harvard. Even though - doubtfull.

But if you go below that - utterly useless.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:42 am

JustDude wrote:
icydash wrote:
I understand what you mean when you say it's a club where you network for two years. However, I've taken a few business classes, and while this is spot on, you do learn some useful/important strategy. Also, I bet if you want to do corporate/business law, doing a joint JD/MBA at Harvard/Stanford/etc, and getting to know all those MBA students, will bring you some future huge clients. I think it's a smart move. In the end I bet you'll use those connections to bring in huge/many clients, if not lateral to business and have the foundation you need.

Well you might try to defend it, if it is from Harvard. Even though - doubtfull.

I think you severely underestimate the importance/power of networking/making the right connections.

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:46 am

Underoath wrote:
r6_philly wrote:You need other tests for the dual degree. Second degree usually has its own admissions procedure which may require other grad admission tests.

When he says dual degree what does he mean? Like the LLM or something?

It just seems like he is not being truthful that's all.

You're kidding, right?

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:47 am

If anything I overestimate them. I said JD+connections > JD/MBA
I think you severely underestimate the importance/power of networking/making the right connections.[/quote]
Last edited by JustDude on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:49 am

JustDude wrote:
icydash wrote:
JustDude wrote:
icydash wrote:

If anything I overestimate them. I said JD+connections > JD/MBA
I think you severely underestimate the importance/power of networking/making the right connections.

the "+connections" has to come from somewhere. For a lot of people, that's the "/MBA". I think we're arguing the same point from two different angles. We both agree you need a JD + connections, i'm just saying a great way to make tons of potentially huge connections is getting an MBA from a top school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”