Losing Hope?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goosey

Losing Hope?

Postby goosey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:46 pm

My family seems to think I wont get in to law school anywhere. I have a sub 3 gpa and a 161. I was told today that my lsat is "not high--its just ok" and that theres always that chance that I dont get in anywhere. Its a little disheartening..and I have tried to remain optimistic and hope that one school will take a chance on me, but it kind of sucks when the ppl around u are acting like ure a failure.

Granted, a 161 is not a 170. But damn. Its still top 15%---I would hope that counts as a high score in the real world, even if its a little embarassing on tls amidst the 175s. Considering my family is not on tls, I would hope a 161 would mean something to them atleast.

I have applied to a bunch of reaches--placed I knew I had no shot. As well as places like St.Johns, Hofstra, and Brooklyn.

I havent heard back from anyone yet except for ND, Illinois, and Boston--all rejections. expected. Hofstra deferred me.

I am holding my breath on my #1 choice, but am also confident that I will atleast get into St.Johns. Am I crazy? Should I just give up hope and accept that I fail and that my fam can tell me "i told u so" at the end of the cycle?

Robert398

Re: Losing Hope?

Postby Robert398 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:50 pm

No one who has worked so consistently as you have been is a failure ... nor is anyone who scores within the top 15%+ of a highly competitive, likely above-average in intelligence group of people
Last edited by Robert398 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:52 pm

goosey wrote:My family seems to think I wont get in to law school anywhere. I have a sub 3 gpa and a 161. I was told today that my lsat is "not high--its just ok" and that theres always that chance that I dont get in anywhere. Its a little disheartening..and I have tried to remain optimistic and hope that one school will take a chance on me, but it kind of sucks when the ppl around u are acting like ure a failure.

Granted, a 161 is not a 170. But damn. Its still top 15%---I would hope that counts as a high score in the real world, even if its a little embarassing on tls amidst the 175s. Considering my family is not on tls, I would hope a 161 would mean something to them atleast.

I have applied to a bunch of reaches--placed I knew I had no shot. As well as places like St.Johns, Hofstra, and Brooklyn.

I havent heard back from anyone yet except for ND, Illinois, and Boston--all rejections. expected. Hofstra deferred me.

I am holding my breath on my #1 choice, but am also confident that I will atleast get into St.Johns. Am I crazy? Should I just give up hope and accept that I fail and that my fam can tell me "i told u so" at the end of the cycle?

I'd be surprised if you didn't get into Hofstra.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:57 pm

Your LSAT does not define who you are, who you are defines your LSAT. HTH

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Don't worry about Boston. I got rejected there too with a sub 3 GPA and a 175. They suck. Besides do you really want to spend three years listening to that stupid accent?
A 161 would make you a splitter at virtually every Tier 3 and 4 law school and at least a dozen Tier 2 schools. So it isn't like you can't get in anywhere. You might want to consider applying to a few more schools if they are still accepting applications, just to be on the safe side. Also, I know you've probably heard this already, but consider retaking the LSAT in June. You can add a few points and put yourself in the ball park for some great schools. Work on your PS all summer. Apply again in the first week of September. Make your application the first one across the adcoms desk next cycle. Then tell your family to fuck off.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:29 pm

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you re-took in February? :?

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:32 pm

MURPH wrote:Don't worry about Boston. I got rejected there too with a sub 3 GPA and a 175. They suck. Besides do you really want to spend three years listening to that stupid accent?
A 161 would make you a splitter at virtually every Tier 3 and 4 law school and at least a dozen Tier 2 schools. So it isn't like you can't get in anywhere. You might want to consider applying to a few more schools if they are still accepting applications, just to be on the safe side. Also, I know you've probably heard this already, but consider retaking the LSAT in June. You can add a few points and put yourself in the ball park for some great schools. Work on your PS all summer. Apply again in the first week of September. Make your application the first one across the adcoms desk next cycle. Then tell your family to fuck off.

New York Law School, the 'Cuse, and quite a few other schools that are not too bad are well within reach. People have said this before and I'll echo it: the 'Cuse is underrated. It's a pretty good university and it's a school that takes itself seriously, so you know that the law school would be well run. Syracuse would be a good value too, because they'd probably give you some scholly money for your 161. That's a solid school that wouldn't consider your score to be just "OK."

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 pm

MURPH wrote:Don't worry about Boston. I got rejected there too with a sub 3 GPA and a 175. They suck. Besides do you really want to spend three years listening to that stupid accent?

+1

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/support.

I retook the lsat in feb, so unfortunately june is off the table for me. I don't feel great abt my score--i feel exactly the same as I did in june and september--i hope I didn't get lower than a 161, but another 161 seems pretty likely. I don't know what it is about that damn test. I know I can kill it, I have at home without any "cheating" w time..but for some reason, the day of the test, it all goes out the window. Unless I am grossly underestimating my performance, I'm guessing 161 again. Or, god forbid, lower. I didn't even think a 161 was possible because I hadn't scored that low on a pt in nearly 6 months and 30 tests, but it happened twice. So while my last score in the 150s was a pt in january 2009 on my powerscore diagnostic, I think the lsat is just this evil thing that makes the impossible possible for me on test day. And not in a good way.

If I get a 165, I will be so happy. Because I think that would help me a lot with brooklyn pt or cardozo pt even if I don't get into my top choice (which was and is still a massive reach that my unofficial hold has filled me with hope)

What I wouldn't do to rewind back 10 years and have cared about school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”