PLEASE LISTEN. If you can't get T14, Don't have connections

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
qualster

Re: PLEASE LISTEN. If you can't get T14, Don't have connections

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
What about schools ranked 50-59? Tennessee, Florida, etc.

Where is the line drawn for the "OK" schools?

I agree-it is tough to know where to draw the line. I was speaking in general terms.

Basically the line is drawn at whatever school that poster is going to.

True. I sincerely hope that I won't develop that attitude when I make a choice.
Last edited by qualster on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:I'd love to roll my eyes at this thread and think that with enough hard work, I'd be able to do well out of any school... but honestly, if I was not attending a top-50 institution (I think setting the standard at T-14 is a bit extreme), I am not sure I would go to law school right now.

What makes you convinced that a school ranked.... #40 is any better than a school ranked.... #72?

I say that, fundamentally, there's next to no difference in schools #30-150.
Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:25 pm

mistergoft wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:Do a search in the forum for Military Law. You will get back your money in no time if you decide to be a military lawyer.

Do you think you just walk into a JAG office and immediately receive a job offer?

While JAG selectivity isn't as prestige driven or exacting as many law firms, their selection rates are all sub 10% of applicants.

hth.

Yep. From what I understand JAG is pretty freaking competitive ITE. I know someone that became one a few years ago and said the schools that are represented now (Yale, Colmbia) has changed dramatically over the last 2 years. I'm sure it will continue to get even more competitive.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:26 pm

ITT: TTT kids cry about how the system screwed them over and T14 kids attempt to boost their self-esteem by subtly belittling those who couldn't make the T14. Interestingly, this is all done under the guise of "helping" aspiring law students. Personality issues anyone?

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 pm

MTal wrote:
yo! wrote:
MTal wrote:
yo! wrote:
Unfortunately you never found your way out of TLS. You sure seem to be one miserable motherfucker. Find something else to do :idea: . hth

As long as I continue to elicit this type of reaction, I'll keep hanging around.

By all means....I was only trying to help :wink: You might want to think about moving on, that is all. Normally, people with a solid back-up plan don't troll message boards trying to pass their bitterness onto other people.

I haven't posted in weeks. It's friday night, I'm stuck at work, and the call volume is slow. You'll have to forgive me if I take some time and impart a small dose of reality on the clueless brain-dead Ally McBeal wannabees which populate this site.

So far, not impressed with your backup plan. :|

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 pm

yo! wrote:ITT: TTT kids cry about how the system screwed them over and T14 kids attempt to boost their self-esteem by subtly belittling those who couldn't make the T14. Interestingly, this is all done under the guise of "helping" aspiring law students. Personality issues anyone?

Just do research before you go to a school outside of the T10 at sticker. Please.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:I'd love to roll my eyes at this thread and think that with enough hard work, I'd be able to do well out of any school... but honestly, if I was not attending a top-50 institution (I think setting the standard at T-14 is a bit extreme), I am not sure I would go to law school right now.

What makes you convinced that a school ranked.... #40 is any better than a school ranked.... #72?

So, does the quality lag markedly below 150? Maybe, but how do you differentiate between 145 and 165?

I'd say there's a huge difference between UC Davis and McGeorge. Or maybe not. Can anybody tell me why they would be equivalent?

There has to be a difference between Wisconsin and the William Mitchell College of Law.
Last edited by qualster on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnrllyskptclothsht

Postby gnrllyskptclothsht » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:31 pm

I know a guy who goes to a T2, will graduate cum laude in May who has a similar review: 100k debt, no job, shitty summer internships pushing paper at Legal Aid NGOs and no offers on the horizon. . . Suddenly chasing ambulances and writing wills seemed much more appealing, for several minutes over the course of the last 4 semesters. Reportedly many people in his class have suffered similar fates. It is a real possibility, even for very bright, hardworking people.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:31 pm

To OP,
I appreciate you sharing your personal experience at your particular T2 school. BUT, obviously you cannot speak for every school or every student attending one. You cannot say that everyone will wind up with B's and C's and that no one will be in the top 10% and that everyone will be depressed. And the Jesus question has to be particular to your school (I also have to think this might be Pepperdine) or else no T2 schools would exist. I just think it's dangerous to discourage everyone who can't get T-14 from practicing law just because you are having an abysmal time in law school.

Best of luck. Hope things turn around for you.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:31 pm

yo! wrote:ITT: TTT kids cry about how the system screwed them over and T14 kids attempt to boost their self-esteem by subtly belittling those who couldn't make the T14.And others feel its all one big self indulgent pile of rationalized bull-shit. Interestingly, this is all done under the guise of "helping" aspiring law students. Personality issues anyone?

ftfm

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:32 pm

qualster wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

So, does the quality lag markedly below 150? Maybe, but how do you differentiate between 145 and 165?

I'd say there's a huge difference between UC Davis and McGeorge. Or maybe not. Can anybody tell me why they would be equivalent?

There has to be a difference between Wisconsin and the William Mitchell College of Law.

Fuck it.... #40-infinity

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:34 pm

yo! wrote:ITT: TTT kids cry about how the system screwed them over and T14 kids attempt to boost their self-esteem by subtly belittling those who couldn't make the T14. Interestingly, this is all done under the guise of "helping" aspiring law students. Personality issues anyone?

People writing about getting screwed over is valuable for 0L's decision making. It's not limited to TTT either. There are more than enough T14 OCI casualty stories on this board. It's good to have some information out there. It was good to be able to read those posts to help me make the decision whether or not to leave my job to go to a t10. I ultimately have decided to go, but I'm glad I made an informed decision as opposed to relying on c/o 2009 employment data from the school. I disagree with how many posters convey the message, but it's good that it's out there.

BTW, OP is likely a flame.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:34 pm

What would Jesus have done, though?

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 pm

yo! wrote:
ITT: TTT kids cry about how the system screwed them over and T14 kids attempt to boost their self-esteem by subtly belittling those who couldn't make the T14. Interestingly, this is all done under the guise of "helping" aspiring law students. Personality issues anyone?

Though that is a bit of an exaggerated summary, I can see how it would be a natural reaction. Then I think about my unemployed friends who are trying to pay down debts of 160K+ by waiting tables.... or the lawyers in my office who have the same position as me for the same salary (only difference is that I am a 0L and the have JD's).

Seriously, this is not just about prestige whoring. It's rough out there.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 pm

mistergoft wrote:

Just do research before you go to a school outside of the T10 at sticker. Please.

I won't be going anywhere at sticker. I wasn't talking about you though. There are plenty of non-dickhead ways to get the point across and this issue has been discussed ad nauseum. I just find it a little funny when a new poster asks about a TTT school and the TLS regulars bash them like they just molested a 4 year old.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:36 pm

mistergoft wrote:

NOW we're whittling down into someplace interesting.
<3 mistergoft :wink:

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
qualster wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

Fuck it.... #40-infinity

That does make more sense, although I would still say that Cardozo, for example, is better than NYLS and Pace, etc. FSU is far better than the third and fourth tiers schools in Florida. As you move down through the rankings though, the difference is not going to be as extreme. I agree with that.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
qualster wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

Fuck it.... #40-infinity

HOLY SHIT I just looked at the rankings for the first time in months I didn't know Ken put Uc-Irvine as "estimated" in the T30. Lol that's pretty funny.

I think there is a difference slight difference between these schools, but I don't really care to argue about it so I will abstain.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:38 pm

yo! wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

I won't be going anywhere at sticker. I wasn't talking about you though. There are plenty of non-dickhead ways to get the point across and this issue has been discussed ad nauseum. I just find it a little funny when a new poster asks about a TTT school and the TLS regulars bash them like they just molested a 4 year old.

LOL.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

The problem with doing research is that all of the data have been manipulated. Aside from the fail stories seen here and on ATL, every graduate from every school 1-200 appears to be making $160k right out of school.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:39 pm

ccs1702 wrote:What would Jesus have done, though?

If I'm not mistaken, his wife cleaned my house last Thursday. He's still unemployed, however.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:What would Jesus have done, though?

If I'm not mistaken, his wife cleaned my house last Thursday. He's still unemployed, however.

I lol'd.

j.wellington

Postby j.wellington » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:40 pm

How would you people know what to do with your lives if U.S. New and World Report never existed? I'm genuinely curious.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:40 pm

ccs1702 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

The problem with doing research is that all of the data have been manipulated. Aside from the fail stories seen here and on ATL, every graduate from every school 1-200 appears to be making $160k right out of school.

Ha ha.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:

People writing about getting screwed over is valuable for 0L's decision making. It's not limited to TTT either. There are more than enough T14 OCI casualty stories on this board. It's good to have some information out there. It was good to be able to read those posts to help me make the decision whether or not to leave my job to go to a t10. I ultimately have decided to go, but I'm glad I made an informed decision as opposed to relying on c/o 2009 employment data from the school. I disagree with how many posters convey the message, but it's good that it's out there.

BTW, OP is likely a flame.

Agreed, but the douchebaggery on this site is at an all-time high. I just felt like pointing that out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”