PLEASE LISTEN. If you can't get T14, Don't have connections

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

Re: PLEASE LISTEN. If you can't get T14, Don't have connections

Postby MTal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Shlonster wrote:
So far, not impressed with your backup plan. :|

I have a job. If you're in law school or planning on it, you most likely don't.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
yo! wrote:ITT: TTT kids cry about how the system screwed them over and T14 kids attempt to boost their self-esteem by subtly belittling those who couldn't make the T14. Interestingly, this is all done under the guise of "helping" aspiring law students. Personality issues anyone?

Just do research before you go to a school outside of the T10 at sticker. Please.

NOW we're whittling down into someplace interesting.
<3 mistergoft :wink:

Hey I on occasion come out of the lounge at feebly attempt to convey some of my limited amount of knowledge.

Matlock you're teh bomb

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:42 pm

MTal wrote:
yo! wrote:
MTal wrote:
yo! wrote:
Unfortunately you never found your way out of TLS. You sure seem to be one miserable motherfucker. Find something else to do :idea: . hth

As long as I continue to elicit this type of reaction, I'll keep hanging around.

By all means....I was only trying to help :wink: You might want to think about moving on, that is all. Normally, people with a solid back-up plan don't troll message boards trying to pass their bitterness onto other people.

I haven't posted in weeks. It's friday night, I'm stuck at work, and the call volume is slow. You'll have to forgive me if I take some time and impart a small dose of reality on the clueless brain-dead Ally McBeal wannabees which populate this site.

Not trying to be a dick, but "a small dose of reality on the clueless brain-dead Ally McBeal wannabees" and you're answering phones for a living? Not a lot of trading goes on after the bell closes on a Friday.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:43 pm

ccs1702 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
yo! wrote:ITT: TTT kids cry about how the system screwed them over and T14 kids attempt to boost their self-esteem by subtly belittling those who couldn't make the T14. Interestingly, this is all done under the guise of "helping" aspiring law students. Personality issues anyone?

Just do research before you go to a school outside of the T10 at sticker. Please.

NOW we're whittling down into someplace interesting.
<3 mistergoft :wink:

The problem with doing research is that all of the data have been manipulated. Aside from the fail stories seen here and on ATL, every graduate from every school 1-200 appears to be making $160k right out of school.

It's those damned GLOSSY brochures they hand out. They're so pretty and expensive looking. :(

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:44 pm

qualster wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:The problem with doing research is that all of the data have been manipulated. Aside from the fail stories seen here and on ATL, every graduate from every school 1-200 appears to be making $160k right out of school.

Ha ha.

It's an absolutely valid point, but if you look a bit deeper than the ostensible numbers that these BUSINESSES (yes, lawl schools are businesses, they employ teachers that all make <$100K a year) publish, you'll see the forest through the trees.

I go to UF and there are students that are top 5% Law Review that don't have any summer offers.

hth.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:Not trying to be a dick, but "a small dose of reality on the clueless brain-dead Ally McBeal wannabees" and you're answering phones for a living? Not a lot of trading goes on after the bell closes on a Friday.

It's tax season, I do more than just place trades for clients.

Edit: There's also this thing called after-hours trading. Maybe you've heard of it.
Last edited by MTal on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:
MTal wrote:
yo! wrote:
MTal wrote:As long as I continue to elicit this type of reaction, I'll keep hanging around.

By all means....I was only trying to help :wink: You might want to think about moving on, that is all. Normally, people with a solid back-up plan don't troll message boards trying to pass their bitterness onto other people.

I haven't posted in weeks. It's friday night, I'm stuck at work, and the call volume is slow. You'll have to forgive me if I take some time and impart a small dose of reality on the clueless brain-dead Ally McBeal wannabees which populate this site.

Not trying to be a dick, but "a small dose of reality on the clueless brain-dead Ally McBeal wannabees" and you're answering phones for a living? Not a lot of trading goes on after the bell closes on a Friday.

I don't want to be Ally McBeal. I want to be Corbin Bernsen's character on LA Law. That seems like a realistic goal.

deadlinguo

Postby deadlinguo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46 pm

j.wellington wrote:How would you people know what to do with your lives if U.S. New and World Report never existed? I'm genuinely curious.

Placement stats are available in more than one place, you know. Here's one example: http://www.leiterrankings.com/

Actually I think USNWR is less relevant than looking at the raw employment numbers, since USN accounts for things I personally don't care about, like class size, spending per student, etc.
Last edited by deadlinguo on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46 pm

mistergoft wrote:
qualster wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:The problem with doing research is that all of the data have been manipulated. Aside from the fail stories seen here and on ATL, every graduate from every school 1-200 appears to be making $160k right out of school.

Ha ha.

It's an absolutely valid point, but if you look a bit deeper than the ostensible numbers that these BUSINESSES (yes, lawl schools are businesses, they employ teachers that all make <$100K a year) publish, you'll see the forest through the trees.

I go to UF and there are students that are top 5% Law Review that don't have any summer offers.

hth.

Wasn't laughing at. Laughing with. I know that these schools are misleading would be lawyers, and it sucks.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:50 pm

yo! wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

People writing about getting screwed over is valuable for 0L's decision making. It's not limited to TTT either. There are more than enough T14 OCI casualty stories on this board. It's good to have some information out there. It was good to be able to read those posts to help me make the decision whether or not to leave my job to go to a t10. I ultimately have decided to go, but I'm glad I made an informed decision as opposed to relying on c/o 2009 employment data from the school. I disagree with how many posters convey the message, but it's good that it's out there.

BTW, OP is likely a flame.

Agreed, but the douchebaggery on this site is at an all-time high. I just felt like pointing that out.

I blame the USS BP

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:50 pm

qualster wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
qualster wrote:

Ha ha.

hth.

Wasn't laughing at. Laughing with. I know that these schools are misleading would be lawyers, and it sucks.

+1. I wasn't trying to undermine your point. Was simply pointing out that it's next to impossible to find any straight-forward data, especially if it comes from the school itself.

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Good luck Mtal with the normative tax advice. Your reccomendations and ability to disuade are a public service.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
yo! wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

People writing about getting screwed over is valuable for 0L's decision making. It's not limited to TTT either. There are more than enough T14 OCI casualty stories on this board. It's good to have some information out there. It was good to be able to read those posts to help me make the decision whether or not to leave my job to go to a t10. I ultimately have decided to go, but I'm glad I made an informed decision as opposed to relying on c/o 2009 employment data from the school. I disagree with how many posters convey the message, but it's good that it's out there.

Agreed, but the douchebaggery on this site is at an all-time high. I just felt like pointing that out.

I blame the [strike]USS BP[/strike] DF

Edited for accuracy, hth.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:54 pm

BTW, OP is likely a flame.[/quote]

Agreed, but the douchebaggery on this site is at an all-time high. I just felt like pointing that out.[/quote]

I blame the [strike]USS BP[/strike] DF[/quote]
Edited for accuracy, hth.[/quote]

lol ftmfw!

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:55 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
yo! wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

I blame the [strike]USS BP[/strike] DF

Edited for accuracy, hth.

That means a lot. It's nice to be recognized.

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:56 pm

MTal wrote:
Me-a Culpa wrote:Not trying to be a dick, but "a small dose of reality on the clueless brain-dead Ally McBeal wannabees" and you're answering phones for a living? Not a lot of trading goes on after the bell closes on a Friday.

Edit: There's also this thing called after-hours trading. Maybe you've heard of it.

Oh, you forgot to add that in... Are you placing trades at 6:00 pm PST on a Friday?

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:57 pm

ITT: TLSers make the exact same arguments, assumptions and blanket statments as in the 8,000 previous threads...is there really a point in giving these a title anymore?

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:02 pm

GATORTIM wrote:ITT: TLSers make the exact same arguments, assumptions and blanket statments as in the 8,000 previous threads...is there really a point in giving these a title anymore?

ITT: I finally learn that practicing law isn't exactly like the show "The Deep End." Fuck it, I'm giving up. You win MTal.

I've never actually seen the show

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:02 pm

yo! wrote:People writing about getting screwed over is valuable for 0L's decision making. It's not limited to TTT either. There are more than enough T14 OCI casualty stories on this board. It's good to have some information out there. It was good to be able to read those posts to help me make the decision whether or not to leave my job to go to a t10. I ultimately have decided to go, but I'm glad I made an informed decision as opposed to relying on c/o 2009 employment data from the school. I disagree with how many posters convey the message, but it's good that it's out there.

My buddy's sister is 3L at Columbia and she has no job lined up. It ain't easy for anybody right now.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:11 pm

yo! wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:ITT: TLSers make the exact same arguments, assumptions and blanket statments as in the 8,000 previous threads...is there really a point in giving these a title anymore?

ITT: I finally learn that practicing law isn't exactly like the show "The Deep End." Fuck it, I'm giving up. You win MTal.

If you think this is some kind of game, you are sadly mistaken.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Maybe the mods should create a sticky for job placement horror stories to go along with the general legal industry apocalypse thread. I'm largely resigned to these threads but it does irritate me that new posters think we haven't heard it all before.

qualster

Postby qualster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:17 pm

MTal wrote:
yo! wrote:

Yo yo!, you think this is a game?! You think this is a f-in game?! MTal is like Scott Bakula's character in Quantum Leap. He's coming back in time to save our lives. We are the disabled kid who is going to try to drive his brother Robby's race car. He's hoping that we won't so that we don't crash into the ravine.

Thank you, MTal.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:
MTal wrote:

Oh, you forgot to add that in... Are you placing trades at 6:00 pm PST on a Friday?

No, I was placing them until 6:00 pm MT.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:19 pm

qualster wrote:
MTal wrote:
yo! wrote:

Yo yo!, you think this is a game?! You think this is a f-in game?! MTal is like Scott Bakula's character in Quantum Leap. He's coming back in time to save our lives. We are the disabled kid who is going to try to drive his brother Robby's race car. He's hoping that we won't so that we don't crash into the ravine.

Thank you, MTal.

You're very welcome.

yo!

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:25 pm

qualster wrote:
MTal wrote:
yo! wrote:

Thank you, MTal.

haha. After the first two sentences, I was preparing for a Jersey Shore reference.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”