should I take a year off and apply again?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iamtaw

should I take a year off and apply again?

Postby iamtaw » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:18 pm

i have dreams of going to CLS. though it seems that this is a distant reality for this cycle. I'm 174/3.49 and I applied to all my schools 12/28-12/19. so far the best school I've made it into is minnesota. I have been waitlisted at gtown so all hope is not lost. would you guys think it's worth taking a year off and applying early and getting into a slightly better school? is this even likely to happen with te economy sensing people flocking to law school? or is the increase in employment prospects not worth holding off for a year? (I don't really have any idea what kinda job I'd get this year..)

gossipgirl

Re: should I take a year off and apply again?

Postby gossipgirl » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:07 pm

While people with your stats (3.4, 173iish) were deferred or rejected at Columbia ED (3 in total), ALL FOUR who applied to Chicago ED with your stats GOT IN!!

I say apply ED in September next year and enjoy Chicago.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Sorry about the bad cycle up till now.

Maybe NYU will come through for you (and hopefully for me too).

If you don't crack T10 I would reconsider applying unless there is another school that is lower ranked that offered you money that you find very appealing location and cost-wise.

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Have you graduated yet? If not, maybe think about putting that off and taking more classes to improve that GPA. Just a thought.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:25 pm

iamtaw wrote:i have dreams of going to CLS. though it seems that this is a distant reality for this cycle. I'm 174/3.49 and I applied to all my schools 12/28-12/19. so far the best school I've made it into is minnesota. I have been waitlisted at gtown so all hope is not lost. would you guys think it's worth taking a year off and applying early and getting into a slightly better school? is this even likely to happen with te economy sensing people flocking to law school? or is the increase in employment prospects not worth holding off for a year? (I don't really have any idea what kinda job I'd get this year..)

If you don't get into one of MVP or DNC something is wrong with your app.

I personally wouldn't wait a year for CCN over MVPBDNC, but waiting wouldn't be a bad move. It will let the economy improve, give a year to party a bit do some traveling, and give you perspective.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:50 pm

I'd wait and apply as soon applications open up. Spend the time between now and then working to make your PS the best thing they ever lay their eyes on.

a 174 is a terrible thing to waste.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Wait to see how your cycle plays our, but waiting a year isn't a bad idea. You'll get some real world experience under your belt, mature a little bit, and live a little before going into three years of hell.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”