Quit current Job and look for something in legal field? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legal_beagle

New

Quit current Job and look for something in legal field?

Post by legal_beagle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:52 pm

So I'm currently finishing up my undergrad while working full time. I have (what I consider at least) to be a few decent soft factors.

The job that I'm doing right now has absolutely no correlation to legal work-at all. I do have some decent networking in place from my current position where I could get myself into an internship at a local law firm.

Here's the dilemma: I'm up for a promotion this month, which if I get it would look great on a resume a year from now when I'm submitting applications. Unfortunately my current supervisor's are-and how do I put this nicely-are incapable of writing even a semi-decent LOR. If I don't get the promotion it obviously sways me more towards leaving this position and working in a legal setting. I've been on the job nearly 2 years. I have good performance evaluations and nothing negative in my file.

So, do I continue working in the position that I'm currently employed and hope for the best regarding the promotion or, if the promotion doesn't go through should I definitely consider changing employment in order to secure some form of legal related work experience?

I'm looking at SoCal schools (Pepperdine & Loyola) Also I am taking the LSAT in June (aiming for a 167+) and then again in October if I don't hit where I want.

Thanks in advance.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Re: Quit current Job and look for something in legal field?

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:00 pm

I might not be the best to answer this, but I would think success in your current job is better than switching to a bullshit position just bc it's in a legal field.

Good Luck

wakefield

Bronze

Re: Quit current Job and look for something in legal field?

Post by wakefield » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Schools usually want academic references, so it doesn't really matter. You should do whatever you want, but don't include LOR writing ability as an important factor.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”