BU v WUSTL v Vandy

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dnesto01
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 pm

BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby dnesto01 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Thoughts on the best school for Big Law in NY, DC, Boston?

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby holydonkey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Vandy OCI (2008)

NY firms 52
DC firms 42
MA firms ?

BU OCI (2008)

NY firms 54
DC firms 20
MA firms ?

WUSTL OCI (2008)

NY firms 14
DC firms 14
MA firms ?


I'm going to go out on a limb here and say BU is probably best for Boston. Vandy and BU may be about the same for NYC, and Vandy might beat BU for DC. Doesn't look like WUSTL is the clear winner in any of these markets.

Really between BU and Vandy for NYC, I'd say personal preference (I know others will disagree and say BU). For DC, I personally believe Vandy is the better option (again, others might disagree).

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:29 pm

Well obviously the best school for Boston is BU, i don't imagine Vandy and Wustl sending a lot of people to Boston.I like Wustl more than BU but BU will probably be the best for your situation if Boston is one of the places you would like to practice.

dnesto01
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby dnesto01 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Really? I always thought that Vandy was more highly regarded (especially in NY than BU). Also I would probably go to BC over BU since they both do equally well in Boston and BU's building is just depressing.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby holydonkey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 pm

I'd choose BU over BC, but they're about the same. Something else to keep in mind about placement/OCI stats - Vandy is about 40% smaller than BU and still manages to pull about the same number of firms for NYC. For me, this is an indication that you're right and it's stronger there.

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby Joga Bonito » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:39 pm

holydonkey wrote:Vandy OCI (2008)

NY firms 52
DC firms 42
MA firms ?

BU OCI (2008)

NY firms 54
DC firms 20
MA firms ?

WUSTL OCI (2008)

NY firms 14
DC firms 14
MA firms ?


I'm going to go out on a limb here and say BU is probably best for Boston. Vandy and BU may be about the same for NYC, and Vandy might beat BU for DC. Doesn't look like WUSTL is the clear winner in any of these markets.

Really between BU and Vandy for NYC, I'd say personal preference (I know others will disagree and say BU). For DC, I personally believe Vandy is the better option (again, others might disagree).


I think that the above statistics about Wustl are wrong where did you get those from?

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby holydonkey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Vandy OCI (2008)

NY firms 52
DC firms 42
MA firms ?

BU OCI (2008)

NY firms 54
DC firms 20
MA firms ?

WUSTL OCI (2008)

NY firms 14
DC firms 14
MA firms ?


I'm going to go out on a limb here and say BU is probably best for Boston. Vandy and BU may be about the same for NYC, and Vandy might beat BU for DC. Doesn't look like WUSTL is the clear winner in any of these markets.

Really between BU and Vandy for NYC, I'd say personal preference (I know others will disagree and say BU). For DC, I personally believe Vandy is the better option (again, others might disagree).


I think that the above statistics about Wustl are wrong where did you get those from?


LSN - http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 pm

holydonkey wrote:Vandy OCI (2008)

NY firms 52
DC firms 42
MA firms ?

BU OCI (2008)

NY firms 54
DC firms 20
MA firms ?

WUSTL OCI (2008)

NY firms 14
DC firms 14
MA firms ?


I'm going to go out on a limb here and say BU is probably best for Boston. Vandy and BU may be about the same for NYC, and Vandy might beat BU for DC. Doesn't look like WUSTL is the clear winner in any of these markets.

Really between BU and Vandy for NYC, I'd say personal preference (I know others will disagree and say BU). For DC, I personally believe Vandy is the better option (again, others might disagree).



/thread.

well done, sir.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby galahad85 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm

BU for Boston, Vandy for anywhere else.

dnesto01
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby dnesto01 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 pm

Do people say Vandy is bad for Boston just because the majority of the people that go there just end up not wanting to go to Boston? I mean if you did well at Vandy (top 10-15%) I am sure you could get a job at a top Boston firm if you applied right?

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby galahad85 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:55 pm

dnesto01 wrote:Do people say Vandy is bad for Boston just because the majority of the people that go there just end up not wanting to go to Boston? I mean if you did well at Vandy (top 10-15%) I am sure you could get a job at a top Boston firm if you applied right?


I don't think anyone is saying that Vandy is bad for Boston. It's just that BU obviously has the home court advantage. I'd imagine it gets far more Boston firms at OCI, and you would have better networking opportunities in the city. Getting a Boston job from Vandy would just take a little more legwork, that's all.

dnesto01
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby dnesto01 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:57 pm

That is what I figured. Just not really in love with BU and want to end up in the Northeast at some point so am trying to justify Vandy!

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby holydonkey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:01 am

dnesto01 wrote:That is what I figured. Just not really in love with BU and want to end up in the Northeast at some point so am trying to justify Vandy!


Go to Vandy.

You should really go to the school you want. If you get into a big firm in DC or Atlanta, you can always transfer. Also, the South rocks. :)

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby galahad85 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am

holydonkey wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:That is what I figured. Just not really in love with BU and want to end up in the Northeast at some point so am trying to justify Vandy!


Go to Vandy.

You should really go to the school you want. If you get into a big firm in DC or Atlanta, you can always transfer. Also, the South rocks. :)


+1

(well, except maybe on the "South rocks" part - never been there myself)

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:05 am

dnesto01 wrote:That is what I figured. Just not really in love with BU and want to end up in the Northeast at some point so am trying to justify Vandy!


And also, in Boston you have BC and Harvard. Even Northeastern. Those are all good schools. It is a very well-fed area. The whole east coast is in general... so that's why a lot of Vandy kids head left on I-80. Or maybe they would take 66...

User avatar
Joga Bonito
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby Joga Bonito » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 am

galahad85 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:That is what I figured. Just not really in love with BU and want to end up in the Northeast at some point so am trying to justify Vandy!


Go to Vandy.

You should really go to the school you want. If you get into a big firm in DC or Atlanta, you can always transfer. Also, the South rocks. :)


+1

(well, except maybe on the "South rocks" part - never been there myself)


+1..I've been there...and uhhh....culturally not a fan...but the scenery is nice...all the trees and stuff...two parts are exceptions Atlanta and southern florida which doesn't count.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:11 am

Joga Bonito wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:That is what I figured. Just not really in love with BU and want to end up in the Northeast at some point so am trying to justify Vandy!


Go to Vandy.

You should really go to the school you want. If you get into a big firm in DC or Atlanta, you can always transfer. Also, the South rocks. :)


+1

(well, except maybe on the "South rocks" part - never been there myself)


+1..I've been there...and uhhh....culturally not a fan...but the scenery is nice...all the trees and stuff...two parts are exceptions Atlanta and southern florida which doesn't count.



guys... the south sucks.

but Nashville is awesome. I HATE country music... and even I like the bars that play ONLY country music. Nashville is just an awesome time.

dnesto01
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby dnesto01 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:15 am

I'm really excited to visit...Vandy reimburses $200 for travel for all admits right?

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:15 am

dnesto01 wrote:I'm really excited to visit...Vandy reimburses $200 for travel for all admits right?


Like most schools, it depends on where you are traveling from.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby galahad85 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:16 am

dnesto01 wrote:I'm really excited to visit...Vandy reimburses $200 for travel for all admits right?


Yep. I can't wait to visit. It's just too bad that the only ASW I can make it to (April 9) is so close to the deposit deadline.

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby galahad85 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 am

BruceBarr wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:I'm really excited to visit...Vandy reimburses $200 for travel for all admits right?


Like most schools, it depends on where you are traveling from.


Really? I know that most schools do it that way, but I thought it was always $200 for Vanderbilt.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby holydonkey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:18 am

galahad85 wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:I'm really excited to visit...Vandy reimburses $200 for travel for all admits right?


Yep. I can't wait to visit. It's just too bad that the only ASW I can make it to (April 9) is so close to the deposit deadline.


See you guys there if you're there on April 9!

Also, something to keep in mind, WUSTL has a first deposit deadline of April 1. Which sucks. Bad.

User avatar
BruceBarr
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby BruceBarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:19 am

galahad85 wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:I'm really excited to visit...Vandy reimburses $200 for travel for all admits right?


Like most schools, it depends on where you are traveling from.


Really? I know that most schools do it that way, but I thought it was always $200 for Vanderbilt.


I may be wrong... I looked into it as a big loop (starting at Michigan (home), through Nashville, up the east coast and back) and I may just be piling Vandy into the figures in my head...

galahad85
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby galahad85 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:22 am

holydonkey wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
dnesto01 wrote:I'm really excited to visit...Vandy reimburses $200 for travel for all admits right?


Yep. I can't wait to visit. It's just too bad that the only ASW I can make it to (April 9) is so close to the deposit deadline.


See you guys there if you're there on April 9!

Also, something to keep in mind, WUSTL has a first deposit deadline of April 1. Which sucks. Bad.


Damn.

I like that Georgetown has a May 3 deadline. All schools should be like that.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: BU v WUSTL v Vandy

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:36 am

galahad85 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Also, something to keep in mind, WUSTL has a first deposit deadline of April 1. Which sucks. Bad.


Damn.

I like that Georgetown has a May 3 deadline. All schools should be like that.


For any school where you are WL then accepted, you can just send them a letter explaining that you have many other competitive offers from very strong candidate-schools and that this is the most offers you have ever been extended. Thus, you are unable to make a decision on whether you will be placing a seat deposit at their school and if they would like you to possibly make a seat deposit in the coming months they should send you a letter by [arbitrary date] notifying you of their intention to continue to wait on you to make a decision.
:mrgreen:




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Keilz and 6 guests