Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BizOwner

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby BizOwner » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:55 am

Me-a Culpa wrote:Looks like she's no longer employed at Montgomery County Community College, but I'll find her. I'll find her on LinkedIn, Facebook, etc....

That's funny. I'm padding my GPA at that school right now! :lol:

You would too with:

Undergrad gpa: 3.8
Lsdas gpa: 2.9

Have you heard of worse?

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Good luck with that padding. Let us know how it turns out, future gunners. Just remember you can't pad your GPA with bozo classes in Law school and your law school app is all about proving that you can succeed in LAW SCHOOL (and to a lesser extent add diversity). :lol:

dajja15

Postby dajja15 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:06 pm

erniesto wrote:Good luck with that padding. Let us know how it turns out, future gunners. Just remember you can't pad your GPA with bozo classes in Law school and your law school app is all about proving that you can succeed in LAW SCHOOL (and to a lesser extent add diversity). :lol:

I think its the systems fault. It is so heavily number driven, of course people are going to pad. I think its unfair that I go to an engineering school with grade deflation, grades on a curve, where the average is a C in all my major classes. I spend a ridiculous amount of time on engineering classes to get an C, and write bull shit essays in upper division philosophy classes and get an A. Until the system changes, people are going to pad, and everything is so completely unfair anyway.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:32 pm

dajja15 wrote:
erniesto wrote:Good luck with that padding. Let us know how it turns out, future gunners. Just remember you can't pad your GPA with bozo classes in Law school and your law school app is all about proving that you can succeed in LAW SCHOOL (and to a lesser extent add diversity). :lol:

I think its the systems fault. It is so heavily number driven, of course people are going to pad. I think its unfair that I go to an engineering school with grade deflation, grades on a curve, where the average is a C in all my major classes. I spend a ridiculous amount of time on engineering classes to get an C, and write bull shit essays in upper division philosophy classes and get an A. Until the system changes, people are going to pad, and everything is so completely unfair anyway.

I don't agree. If you go to an engineering school with C average, there are still people that get straight A's. It is more important for engineering majors to be graded on a C average so potential employers can know who are the best students. I don't think it is as crucial for social sciences majors to have all A's or to know who the best students are just because the nature of the material. Take my department (Comp Sci). There is only one other person who has a 4.0, everyone is about 2.5-3 because the curve is at a c+. They will not make comparable programmers as the 4.0 student because they did no get all the concept necessary to be one.

But there are many reasons why people receive B's and C's in a science major. I havebright classmates who are getting B's because they are late with their projects and they don't try as hard to be mistake free in projects and tests. They are comfortable getting a B average because it is still above average and in the top 25%.

Having a C curve doesn't mean you can't get A's. If you get C's it means you are either an average student or you don't work hard, neither of which reflect the kind of quality that law schools or employers look for. If you have the aptitude to be top of you class then work hard and show it in your grades. If you work hard but can only get C's then perhaps the major is wrong for you.

BizOwner

Postby BizOwner » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:26 am

I seek to pad because I don't want to be judged for who I was 12 years ago. I am a completely different student/person today and would like the opportunity to be evaluated thoroughly and not discarded because of grades I got when a lot of you were in elementary school.

I have this preconceived notion that any non-URM with a sub - 3.0 (barring any above 170s) gets put into a reject/waitlist pile immediately at the schools I am applying to (Top 20-40 in DC area).

Furthermore, the classes I am taking in CC to pad are law related such as legal writing, legal systems, legal research etc. They are taught by the State's Attorney and others in the SA office and will provide some background prior to law school. I think these classes show commitment to the law and the study thereof rather than exclusively padding.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:04 pm

BizOwner wrote:I seek to pad because I don't want to be judged for who I was 12 years ago. I am a completely different student/person today and would like the opportunity to be evaluated thoroughly and not discarded because of grades I got when a lot of you were in elementary school.

I have this preconceived notion that any non-URM with a sub - 3.0 (barring any above 170s) gets put into a reject/waitlist pile immediately at the schools I am applying to (Top 20-40 in DC area).

Furthermore, the classes I am taking in CC to pad are law related such as legal writing, legal systems, legal research etc. They are taught by the State's Attorney and others in the SA office and will provide some background prior to law school. I think these classes show commitment to the law and the study thereof rather than exclusively padding.

I think/hope that schools really do look at the report and notice that lower GPA's are from 10+ years ago. I know it won't change the GPA that is used in the rankings, but maybe they will look at your a bit more carefully. Could you get some of those prof. to write you a LOR to say how well you are doing in the legal related classes? That may do more for you than simply upping your GPA a little bit.

Personally I would benefit too if they would have to time cut-off for grade inclusion. My only blemishes are from 10+ years ago in classes that I had no business taking (they didn't even transfer or be useful in any sort of way)

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:30 pm

BizOwner wrote:I seek to pad because I don't want to be judged for who I was 12 years ago. I am a completely different student/person today and would like the opportunity to be evaluated thoroughly and not discarded because of grades I got when a lot of you were in elementary school.

I have some experience with this. Let me bore you to death for a minute:
When I was in HS, my mother made me take some CC classes to make me look better to colleges. I didn't give a shit and I got 2 Cs and a B. This translated to a 2.22 GPA.
I went to art school (it wasn't part of a larger university, it is a stand-alone college). At my school there were no grades for the overwhelming majority of courses (H/P/F), and the school did not create a GPA for any student, regardless of how many graded courses they took. I did well at my UG art school, earning honors (H) in H/P/F classes and As and B's in graded courses. If the school calculated my GPA, I would have had a 3.4something (not great but decent enough).
6 years later, after having some success as an artist and owning my own business, I decide that I want to be a lawyer. I take the LSAT and get a 170. LSAC does not compute a GPA for my undergrad, but it does compute the GPA from my 3 CC courses from HS. My LSAC GPA? 2.22
Here I am in February and the only schools that have accepted me are places where my LSAT is 5 or 6 points above the 75th%- because my LSAC GPA reads 2.22. Three CC courses in HS (10+ years old), have all but determined where I will be going to LS.
So yes, pad your GPA.

edited for grammar

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:

I have some experience with this. Let me bore you to death for a minute:
When I was in HS, my mother made me take some CC classes to make me look better to colleges. I didn't give a shit and I got 2 Cs and a B. This translated to a 2.22 GPA.
I went to art school (it wasn't part of a larger university, it is a stand-alone college). At my school there were no grades for the overwhelming majority of courses (H/P/F), and the school did not create a GPA for any student, regardless of how many graded courses they took. I did well at my UG art school, earning honors (H) in H/P/F classes and As and B's in graded courses. If the school calculated my GPA, I would have had a 3.4something (not great but decent enough).
6 years later, after having some success as an artist and owning my own business, I decide that I want to be a lawyer. I take the LSAT and get a 170. LSAC does not compute a GPA for my undergrad, but it does compute the GPA from my 3 CC courses from HS. My LSAC GPA? 2.22
Here I am in February and the only schools that have accepted me are places where my LSAT is 5 or 6 points above the 75th%- because my LSAC GPA reads 2.22. Three CC courses in HS (10+ years old), have all but determined where I will be going to LS.
So yes, pad your GPA.

edited for grammar

Damn man, i'm sorry to hear that. That must be a huge bummer. A CC class I took in high school also hurt me a little bit, but not anywhere near as bad as that :'(

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”