Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:12 pm

Anyone know of any? or a way to check whether a certain community college [strike]gives out[/strike] has A+'s available as a grade option if you have rightfully earned it?

Edit: I'm asking because my UG institution doesn't give out A+'s unfortunately, just trying to get my LSDAS grade back up to my normal grade...
Last edited by Knock on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Clever_User_Name
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby Clever_User_Name » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:48 am

Knockglock wrote:Anyone know of any? or a way to check whether a certain community college gives out A+'s?


You really must be joking. Community colleges are real schools with real teachers. I did the first two years at one, and just like at a four year, professors vary in difficulty. In fact, during summer classes students from the nearby four year school would come to take classes for the "easy A." It was not uncommon for said students to get a rude awakening part way through and realize that actual work was involved. What would you do if you went to a cc and ended up getting a mediocre grade? That would be a real shame.

My advice (which is obviously scripture) stop looking for the easy way out because there rarely is one worth taking.

P.S I don't know anything about online schools, but I imagine it is also not the best idea.
Last edited by Clever_User_Name on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am

It is hard to get a A in online classes if the prof. doesn't like your work. You are not able to develop any personal relationships with the prof, so you can't get extra help, credit for trying, chances to make up grades as when you take classes in person.

As for community colleges ... I had mostly great experiences but I did come across 2 professors who felt that (honestly, it was clearly expressed) people who attend community colleges do so because they can't get into real colleges so they could not do good work if they wanted. So the best they deserve are B's and C's. I received a B for an assignement, I asked how I can get an A she wrote back "don't be so concerned about your grade because a B is a damn good grade. Most of your peers get D's."

So CC's and easy A's may not pan out at all if you run into the wrong professor. If you are having trouble getting A's at your college you will also have trouble at a CC, and more so online (online classes require self discipline and self-learning).

Take some easy classes out of your major at your college. Look at the syllabus and talk to the prof. before signing up. You can figure out and most likely get an idea on how easy it is from the prof.

Clever_User_Name
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby Clever_User_Name » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:12 am

r6_philly wrote:It is hard to get a A in online classes if the prof. doesn't like your work. You are not able to develop any personal relationships with the prof, so you can't get extra help, credit for trying, chances to make up grades as when you take classes in person.

As for community colleges ... I had mostly great experiences but I did come across 2 professors who felt that (honestly, it was clearly expressed) people who attend community colleges do so because they can't get into real colleges so they could not do good work if they wanted. So the best they deserve are B's and C's. I received a B for an assignement, I asked how I can get an A she wrote back "don't be so concerned about your grade because a B is a damn good grade. Most of your peers get D's."

So CC's and easy A's may not pan out at all if you run into the wrong professor. If you are having trouble getting A's at your college you will also have trouble at a CC, and more so online (online classes require self discipline and self-learning).

Take some easy classes out of your major at your college. Look at the syllabus and talk to the prof. before signing up. You can figure out and most likely get an idea on how easy it is from the prof.


There are those professors...There are also professors who feel that they would be doing a disservice to cc students by not expecting the same level from them as they would at a four year (where many of said professors have taught at some point). These are the professors that are hard but fair, and I found this to be the majority at cc's (or at least the one I went to).

Of course, there are the >1/4 who are just PhD students who really don't give a crap, but I digress.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:31 am

I still feel that I am getting more out of the classes and professors at my T1 public university vs. the CC I went to on average. But the grading seems to be easier at the university. I agree that many decent professors at CC's will demand you to do more and better work. CC's actually are great values because they are affordable and there are less social distractions. The only B grades I have ever earned were from the CC I went to year ago so I don't know "easy" it is to earn some make up A's.

Me-a Culpa
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:50 am

r6_philly wrote:As for community colleges ... I had mostly great experiences but I did come across 2 professors who felt that (honestly, it was clearly expressed) people who attend community colleges do so because they can't get into real colleges so they could not do good work if they wanted. So the best they deserve are B's and C's. I received a B for an assignement, I asked how I can get an A she wrote back "don't be so concerned about your grade because a B is a damn good grade. Most of your peers get D's."

I read this post several time.... "can't get into real colleges"? You've got to be kidding! While I had a great experience, there were a few really DUMB, and I mean DUMB, instructors. I suppose they could not get into real colleges, either.

What school is this? And their names... this is anonymous, no one will ever know, except may be Yale. Seriously, how about the info.


erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby erniesto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:57 am

LOL I think there needs to be a term for all of these hypothetical admissions techniques.

Do you think adcoms will not notice the online community courses on your transcripts? I can't imagine it will bode well if you're obviously fluffing your GPA with transfer credits, which it sounds like you're trying to do.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 am

one of my friends at my current univeristy who also went to cc said her professor in a criminal justice said the same thing to her to. Some of them just don't respect cc transfers. I think he also told her that her 3.8 at cc does say much or something along that line. I didn't hear it personally though. On the other hand, the poli sci department head is a cc grad apparently.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 am

erniesto wrote:LOL I think there needs to be a term for all of these hypothetical admissions techniques.

Do you think adcoms will not notice the online community courses on your transcripts? I can't imagine it will bode well if you're obviously fluffing your GPA with transfer credits, which it sounds like you're trying to do.


I don't know of any transcript that actually list if a course is online or not online. I could be wrong.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:06 am

Me-a Culpa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:As for community colleges ... I had mostly great experiences but I did come across 2 professors who felt that (honestly, it was clearly expressed) people who attend community colleges do so because they can't get into real colleges so they could not do good work if they wanted. So the best they deserve are B's and C's. I received a B for an assignement, I asked how I can get an A she wrote back "don't be so concerned about your grade because a B is a damn good grade. Most of your peers get D's."

I read this post several time.... "can't get into real colleges"? You've got to be kidding! While I had a great experience, there were a few really DUMB, and I mean DUMB, instructors. I suppose they could not get into real colleges, either.

What school is this? And their names... this is anonymous, no one will ever know, except may be Yale. Seriously, how about the info.


Oh ya, she said. I am the professor, you are not. I have a MA, you don't. Stop being difficult. I was that far away from asking her what GPA and what GRE score she received but fortunately I was mature enough to not go down that road. The dean of the college had a talk with her and she was a bit more civil but she obviously feels very poorly of her students, no matter what GPA the student has :roll:

User avatar
saltoftheearth
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby saltoftheearth » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:08 am

there are definitely easy classes at CCs

take something that interests you, like a music class on the pink floyd or home economics

Clever_User_Name
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby Clever_User_Name » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:15 am

saltoftheearth wrote:there are definitely easy classes at CCs

take something that interests you, like a music class on the pink floyd or home economics


I agree with what someone else said; won't law schools be hip to this? I mean, it is one thing to transfer from a cc and another to be at a four year and try to "pad" the GPA. Seems like a bad idea to me.

User avatar
bees
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby bees » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:19 am

Clever_User_Name wrote:
saltoftheearth wrote:there are definitely easy classes at CCs

take something that interests you, like a music class on the pink floyd or home economics


I agree with what someone else said; won't law schools be hip to this? I mean, it is one thing to transfer from a cc and another to be at a four year and try to "pad" the GPA. Seems like a bad idea to me.


They will roll their eyes at you and then be happy your inflated GPA is helping their median...

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby erniesto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:21 am

r6_philly wrote:
erniesto wrote:LOL I think there needs to be a term for all of these hypothetical admissions techniques.

Do you think adcoms will not notice the online community courses on your transcripts? I can't imagine it will bode well if you're obviously fluffing your GPA with transfer credits, which it sounds like you're trying to do.


I don't know of any transcript that actually list if a course is online or not online. I could be wrong.


Well, if you're putting "The History of Rock and Roll: a Survey of the Pink Floyd and Beetles." on your transcripts, and its from the University of Phoenix or Devry you're going to raise flags.

Even if its a legitimately needed Economics 101 from the Takin' it Easy Community College of Denver and you live in Dover, Delaware and go to undergrad at American its going to look sketch.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby erniesto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:22 am

bees wrote:
Clever_User_Name wrote:
saltoftheearth wrote:there are definitely easy classes at CCs

take something that interests you, like a music class on the pink floyd or home economics


I agree with what someone else said; won't law schools be hip to this? I mean, it is one thing to transfer from a cc and another to be at a four year and try to "pad" the GPA. Seems like a bad idea to me.


They will roll their eyes at you and then be happy your inflated GPA is helping their median...


And then realize, hey this guy could f up our attrition rate and career placement stats which are just as important

Me-a Culpa
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:23 am

r6_philly wrote:http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=479390

Thx!

User avatar
pu_golf88
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:34 am

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby pu_golf88 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 am

r6_philly wrote:
Me-a Culpa wrote:
r6_philly wrote:As for community colleges ... I had mostly great experiences but I did come across 2 professors who felt that (honestly, it was clearly expressed) people who attend community colleges do so because they can't get into real colleges so they could not do good work if they wanted. So the best they deserve are B's and C's. I received a B for an assignement, I asked how I can get an A she wrote back "don't be so concerned about your grade because a B is a damn good grade. Most of your peers get D's."

I read this post several time.... "can't get into real colleges"? You've got to be kidding! While I had a great experience, there were a few really DUMB, and I mean DUMB, instructors. I suppose they could not get into real colleges, either.

What school is this? And their names... this is anonymous, no one will ever know, except may be Yale. Seriously, how about the info.


Oh ya, she said. I am the professor, you are not. I have a MA, you don't. Stop being difficult. I was that far away from asking her what GPA and what GRE score she received but fortunately I was mature enough to not go down that road. The dean of the college had a talk with her and she was a bit more civil but she obviously feels very poorly of her students, no matter what GPA the student has :roll:


Whoa, whoa, whoa... a professor with only an MA? I don't get it....

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:28 am

erniesto wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
erniesto wrote:LOL I think there needs to be a term for all of these hypothetical admissions techniques.

Do you think adcoms will not notice the online community courses on your transcripts? I can't imagine it will bode well if you're obviously fluffing your GPA with transfer credits, which it sounds like you're trying to do.


I don't know of any transcript that actually list if a course is online or not online. I could be wrong.


Well, if you're putting "The History of Rock and Roll: a Survey of the Pink Floyd and Beetles." on your transcripts, and its from the University of Phoenix or Devry you're going to raise flags.

Even if its a legitimately needed Economics 101 from the Takin' it Easy Community College of Denver and you live in Dover, Delaware and go to undergrad at American its going to look sketch.


I don't think getting A on Eco 101 online is going to be such an easy task. You would have to learn all the concepts all by yourself.

Penn State has a online BA program I have been told that it is much harder than the in person program.

Maybe getting A's from U of Phoenix is easier than most cc's? I sincerely don't feel that the same courses are any easier at cc's. Maybe people take 100 level electives at cc's to try to pad GPAs, but thats because the courses are easier, not cc is easier maybe?

But I agree you are not going to fool adcoms. Maybe they won't care where the better grades come from, but they are not likely to be fooled.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby erniesto » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:36 am

Whatever! Econ 101 is so TTT

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:39 am

erniesto wrote:Whatever! Econ 101 is so TTT


I didn't know the median grade for Econ 101 in the US is A. Hmmm learn something everyday.

Me-a Culpa
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 am

Looks like she's no longer employed at Montgomery County Community College, but I'll find her. I'll find her on LinkedIn, Facebook, etc....

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:16 am

Maybe they decided not to bring her back. She really had a bad attitude.

I am not paying attention to the jokes :lol:

dajja15
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:41 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby dajja15 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:05 am

I really disagree with what most people have said on this forum. I have a really low GPA (2.7) from my normal institution. I have taken about 8 classes online and in person at 3 different CC's to fulfill some general requirements for my degree. I have gotten A's in every single class, with almost no effort. It was like I was in high school again. From my experience at, at almost any CC, if you want to get an A, put in a little bit of effort and get an A. How they take GPA's into account is unfair anyway, I say pad it up!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Community Colleges w/ online classes that have A+'s?

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:29 am

dajja15 wrote:I really disagree with what most people have said on this forum. I have a really low GPA (2.7) from my normal institution. I have taken about 8 classes online and in person at 3 different CC's to fulfill some general requirements for my degree. I have gotten A's in every single class, with almost no effort. It was like I was in high school again. From my experience at, at almost any CC, if you want to get an A, put in a little bit of effort and get an A. How they take GPA's into account is unfair anyway, I say pad it up!


so if you put the same effort into the gen ed classes at your home institution wouldn't you get A's anyway (since they are gen ed classes)? That way your degree GPA will raise too.

maybe you have been lucky so far. But the only CC class after I transfered to the 4 year school almost got me a B and drag down my GPA because of the prof. In comparison it is been a bit easier to maintain a 4.0 at my home institution and I am taking only upper level core and electives. But that is only my experience and should not be interpreted as a rule.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], spqr351 and 11 guests