husband and wife both applying Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ron

New

husband and wife both applying

Post by ron » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:50 pm

So, both my wife and I are thinking of applying for the upcoming cycle.

My question is, how does everyone think this affects our admissions chances? Do you put an addendum in the application? Does it increase our chances because of the rarity factor or because it helps us stand out? Can anyone think of reasons why it could decrease our chances?

We would both be looking at T14 schools with our numbers.

We would not attend different schools, so that obviously impacts flexibility.

Does anyone know anyone who has done this and how it worked out for them?
Last edited by ron on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Re: husband and wife both applying

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:54 pm

Not going to give you too much of a boost. I suppose if you are writing a "Why X" essay you could point out that you would like to remain close to your wife/husband.

Overall, the only impact it will have is on where you decide to go to school; not on who accepts you.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 pm

If you give us both of your numbers, we can probably tell you which T14's you're likely to both get into.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 pm

probably not as helpful as it would be if you were conjoined twins.
Last edited by GATORTIM on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sequence

New

Post by sequence » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:58 pm

I don't actually think it's very rare. My spouse and I applied to the same schools, and I know a few other couples who have, as well.

No boost. Why would they care if a couple applies together? You're easily replaceable...2 others will be more than happy to pay sticker price at a T14 if you two aren't.

Edit: A couple I know both applied to NW, and only the woman was accepted. Her husband was put on the WL, and although they both talked to admissions and explained that they didn't want to separate, they said "fu" and never took him off the WL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ron

New

Post by ron » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 pm

sequence wrote:I don't actually think it's very rare. My spouse and I applied to the same schools, and I know a few other couples who have, as well.

No boost. Why would they care if a couple applies together? You're easily replaceable...2 others will be more than happy to pay sticker price at a T14 if you two aren't.

Edit: A couple I know both applied to NW, and only the woman was accepted. Her husband was put on the WL, and although they both talked to admissions and explained that they didn't want to separate, they said "fu" and never took him off the WL.
Cool, thanks for your candor. I'm not familiar enough with the process to know how often something like this occurs.

ron

New

Post by ron » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:21 pm

GATORTIM wrote:probably not as helpful as it would be if you were conjoined twins.
Well played.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:22 pm

What are your numbers?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 pm

What if one of you get into NYU and the other Columbia.. or one Stanford the other Berkeley... or one Uchicago the other Northwestern?? Is it that you both want to go to the same school or you want to live in the same area?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 pm

I think the application process is more likely to have an effect on your marriage than vice versa. :P

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I think the application process is more likely to have an effect on your marriage than vice versa. :P
lol. Doesn't your husband have a 180 as well? Does he know where he's attending?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Kronk wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:I think the application process is more likely to have an effect on your marriage than vice versa. :P
lol. Doesn't your husband have a 180 as well? Does he know where he's attending?
He had a 178 (couldn't be bothered studying :roll: ), but luckily he applied to law school straight out of undergrad and has already graduated, so he gets to sit back and be a fancy lawyer and laugh at my struggles. I think it might be tense if we were applying at the same time, though, because he has a significantly lower GPA than me due to taking on way more during college (double honors theses, graduating in three years, no easy lower-level classes because he took like 20 APs in high school, etc.), so despite being the more impressive candidate by any sane measure, he was shut out of a lot of schools where I have a great chance. He still tends to :roll: when I :shock: :shock: :shock: about not hearing from CLS, but he gets to wear expensive pants and bill clients for takeout, which cuts down on the bitterness.

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:57 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote: He had a 178 (couldn't be bothered studying :roll: ), but luckily he applied to law school straight out of undergrad and has already graduated, so he gets to sit back and be a fancy lawyer and laugh at my struggles. I think it might be tense if we were applying at the same time, though, because he has a significantly lower GPA than me due to taking on way more during college (double honors theses, graduating in three years, no easy lower-level classes because he took like 20 APs in high school, etc.), so despite being the more impressive candidate by any sane measure, he was shut out of a lot of schools where I have a great chance. He still tends to :roll: when I :shock: :shock: :shock: about not hearing from CLS, but he gets to wear expensive pants and bill clients for takeout, which cuts down on the bitterness.
Haha this is my exact situation. My SO just graduated law school last May. He graduated T10 but originally only got in T30 because (though he was/is clearly a better student than me - my 3.51 doesn't stand up to his 3.82) he decided to slack during his 4th year undergrad and not study appropriately for the LSAT. I'm definitely getting some eyrolls while I'm freaking out waiting to hear from UPENN and CLS and after I got into NYU. All's well though because he's eating HIS client-billed takeout in HIS expensive pants. Glad to hear from someone having a similar experience :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”