Chances at Howard

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
readyforlaw13

Chances at Howard

Postby readyforlaw13 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm

I am on pins and needles about my law school chances. I really want to get into Howard in D.C. I have already applied and I am just waiting on my decision. What do you guys think? I have posted my application measures below.

I have a 3.5 GPA in a history major and I scored 146 on the LSAT. I traditionally haven't done well with standardized testing and decided against retaking the test due to the number of credit hours I was taking last semester. In any case, I am a member of the honors college at a reputable Midwestern university. I have interned for a US Congressman and a "big city" mayor. In addition, I interned at a large international financial institution in Chicago this past summer. I have held a number of leadership positions in various groups on my campus, was vice-president of my social fraternity, and I hold a nationally prestigious scholarship/fellowship. Lastly, I am an African American male with public service aspirations.

Last year, according to the LSAC, HU Law accepted 38 of 85 people who had GPAs between 3.5 and 3.75 and LSAT scores between 145-149. However, their average LSAT score was a 153. Their 75th percentile GPA was a 3.4. They do not have a part-time program. So do you guys think I have a good chance of getting in?

maks25

Re: Chances at Howard

Postby maks25 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Median LSAT: 154
Median GPA: 3.4

My guess is no, I would retake the LSAT.

enigmaingr

Re: Chances at Howard

Postby enigmaingr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:32 am

Depending on how much of a "reputable midwestern university" you attend, I think you have a pretty good chance of getting in. Most of the people applying to Howard will come from other HBCUs so if you were to say, come from Northwestern with honors, I'd think you'd stand out a bit. Even if your undergrad is not Northwestern or Michigan, I still think you have a good chance considering your experience.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”