Am I being lied to? Acceptance without required # of LORs...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
angioletto

Am I being lied to? Acceptance without required # of LORs...

Postby angioletto » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:50 pm

A "friend" (more like an over-competetive acquaintance) has informed me that he was accepted to 3 different schools that required 2 LORs but he only submitted 1.

I think he's full of it, but I guess I can't be sure. If your numbers are high enough or you PS is very strong are schools likely to even review an app if the required number of LORs have not been submitted?

jks289

Re: Am I being lied to? Acceptance without required # of LORs...

Postby jks289 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:51 pm

angioletto wrote:A "friend" (more like an over-competetive acquaintance) has informed me that he was accepted to 3 different schools that required 2 LORs but he only submitted 1.

I think he's full of it, but I guess I can't be sure. If your numbers are high enough or you PS is very strong are schools likely to even review an app if the required number of LORs have not been submitted?

Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend not completing the entire application based on strong numbers. Seems like a pretty pointless thing to lie about....

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:55 pm

angioletto wrote:A "friend" (more like an over-competetive acquaintance) has informed me that he was accepted to 3 different schools that required 2 LORs but he only submitted 1.

This happened to me last cycle at 2 different schools. I applied in mid-December to early January and was accepted to some schools with a two LoR requirement with only 1 on file (the second LoR took until late Janaury, Early Feb to come through).

I think this is more of a sign of the lack of value many schools assign LoRs more than anything else.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

This happened to me last cycle at 2 different schools. I applied in mid-December to early January and was accepted to some schools with a two LoR requirement with only 1 on file (the second LoR took until late Janaury, Early Feb to come through).

I think this is more of a sign of the lack of value many schools assign LoRs more than anything else.

+1 LORs don't seem to matter all that much if you ask me. only if its really bad or really good.

angioletto

Postby angioletto » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Hm. Well I guess I thought they didn't even look at apps that weren't complete. I am sure it varies by school though.

This guy is a douche anyways.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:59 pm

I did this but I'm awesome.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:04 pm

angioletto wrote:Hm. Well I guess I thought they didn't even look at apps that weren't complete. I am sure it varies by school though.

Yeah unfortunately law schools accept guys who are a douche if he also hasa good GPA and LSAT score. Perhaps you should hack into his LSAC account and change his URM status to "Other: Douche Bag"?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 pm

adameus wrote:
angioletto wrote:Hm. Well I guess I thought they didn't even look at apps that weren't complete. I am sure it varies by school though.

Yeah unfortunately law schools accept guys who are a douche if he also hasa good GPA and LSAT score. Perhaps you should hack into his LSAC account and change his URM status to "Other: Douche Bag"?

law schools will accept anyone with the right GPA and LSAT. i am sure the unabomber could have gone to law school if he wanted (got a Ph.D. in math instead).

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:40 pm

I got a scholarship to a school where I never even sent in the certification page :P

blerg

Postby blerg » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 pm

One of my apps went complete with 1 of 2 LORs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”