Who is in the mood to tell me where to apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JSIM462

Who is in the mood to tell me where to apply?

Postby JSIM462 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Yes, before you ask, I am well aware of how late I am. Just recently decided on this adventure.

3.7 GPA at a small private NJ school with a strong strength of course load.
LSAT - taking the make up Sat, expecting a 162 but have score anywhere from 158-173 (today actually) but avg a 162.

I want to do Health Law and want to stay in the Northeast. Seton Hall is a definite school I am applying to. But it is hard to gauge where else with no LSAT score.

Help. Thanks

Sean Bateman

Re: Who is in the mood to tell me where to apply?

Postby Sean Bateman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:30 pm

JSIM462 wrote:But it is hard to gauge where else with no LSAT score.

think you said it all my friend.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:
JSIM462 wrote:But it is hard to gauge where else with no LSAT score.

think you said it all my friend.

yung

Postby yung » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:34 pm

both seton hall and Rutgers should be fine for you and maybe cardozo?

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:35 pm

JSIM462 wrote: But it is [strike]hard[/strike] impossible to gauge where else with no LSAT score.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm

You are missing the most important piece of your admissions file (your LSAT score), so it is hard to say. You say you expect a score anywhere from 158-173, which is essentially the 75th percentile to the 99th. A 158 means T3, while a 173 gives you a shot at the T10. How are we supposed to accurately gauge your chances?

If I were in your shoes, I would wait on my LSAT score and apply next year. Make sure you want to go to law school, because if you just now decided that this is what you want to do, then you don't sound too set on a career in law. Maybe even retake the LSAT in June or something if you aren't satisfied with your score.

However, if you are dead set on applying this year, I would apply to six schools ASAP. Don't wait for your score.

2 reaches (163-168 range median LSAT, maybe BU and Fordham?)
2 targets (160-163 range median LSAT, Seton Hall and Rutgers maybe?)
2 safeties (155-160 range median LSAT, some "niche" T2 regional schools you wouldn't mind attending)

Apply to these schools ASAP, and then perhaps throw a few more applications out to schools with median LSAT scores in your "range" once you know your score. However, be advised that your chances of admission at a school in March is MUCH lower than if you waited and applied next fall.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:49 pm

If you can swing a 165+ go for BU. They are a top-ranked health law school according to http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... thcare-law

Otherwise, Seton Hall.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Look at Rutgers Newark or Camden, over Seton Hall b/c of cost....as an NJ resident they will be cheaper w/o scholarship, which im sure u will get one, Maybe even a fullride......Im saying this, believing you will get a score near ur old one.

If you do get a 173, take a yr off and apply early next year, ED to Columbia

MF248

Postby MF248 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:10 pm

JSIM462 wrote: Just recently decided on this adventure.

As for where to apply, 158-173 is a rediculous range to speculate on what schools you should apply to

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Apply in September. Honestly that's the best thing you can do for yourself.

I'm also concerned for how much prep you could have been doing for the LSAT if you only just recently decided to go to law school... maybe you should focus on the June test instead.

I'd just really hate to see you waste that GPA.

JSIM462

Postby JSIM462 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:29 pm

MF248 wrote:

As for where to apply, 158-173 is a rediculous range to speculate on what schools you should apply to

Thank you, that is why I put average is 162 and that today for the first time i hit 173. Meaning I am not expecting to get that at all, just an outlier. The point was I average 162 but am capable of getting a higher score so if I apply now I should have a couple reach schools jsut in case I get a higher score, right?

BTW, i think it is RIDICULOUS that you spelled RIDICULOUS REDICULOUS. The I and E aren't even close on the keyboard. So .... that

Also, thanks to all those who actually gave advice. To answer some questions, I decided in Jan, studied a alot, but hectic schedule. With that 173 I do believe if I really went until June I could do a lot better, but honestly my passion is Health Law and since Seton Hall is close to home and 6th in the nation for Health Law but not too difficult to get into, I feel now is a good time to apply.

I know many people grew up with a desire to go to law school. Family pressures, just the idea to be elite and go to medical school or law school. I respect that, but some of us aren't like that but doesn't mean we want it any less. Trust me, this is what I want.

Thanks again

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 pm

JSIM462 wrote:
MF248 wrote:

Thank you, that is why I put average is 162 and that today for the first time i hit 173. Meaning I am not expecting to get that at all, just an outlier. The point was I average 162 but am capable of getting a higher score so if I apply now I should have a couple reach schools jsut in case I get a higher score, right?

BTW, i think it is RIDICULOUS that you spelled RIDICULOUS REDICULOUS. The I and E aren't even close on the keyboard. So .... that

Also, thanks to all those who actually gave advice. To answer some questions, I decided in Jan, studied a alot, but hectic schedule. With that 173 I do believe if I really went until June I could do a lot better, but honestly my passion is Health Law and since Seton Hall is close to home and 6th in the nation for Health Law but not too difficult to get into, I feel now is a good time to apply.

I know many people grew up with a desire to go to law school. Family pressures, just the idea to be elite and go to medical school or law school. I respect that, but some of us aren't like that but doesn't mean we want it any less. Trust me, this is what I want.

Thanks again

I think a lot of people will tell you that the specialty rankings don't mean very much when you're comparing them to elite schools. A 173 can get you into T6 which will give you all the opportunities Seton Hall would and more (especially ITE). My point: Wait till June, apply Sept 1.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:08 pm

You said "Health Law" "North East"

Boston University

Top ranked in health law, really nice all around school, and if you score a little above the high range for your LSAT you will have a shot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”