"Ivy" School Status

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
[1L]Hopeful

"Ivy" School Status

Postby [1L]Hopeful » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:30 am

If you attend a school labeled "Ivy," is there some kind of a reward upon graduation? I thought Ivy just meant "one of the oldest schools in America." Am I missing something here? What's the big deal?

Dany

Re: "Ivy" School Status

Postby Dany » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:35 am

--ImageRemoved--

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 am

eskimo wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Pretty!

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:54 am

[1L]Hopeful wrote:If you attend a school labeled "Ivy," is there some kind of a reward upon graduation? I thought Ivy just meant "one of the oldest schools in America." Am I missing something here? What's the big deal?

In terms of lay prestige, "ivy" is pretty up there... "One of the oldest schools in America" actually means a lot. Long ago, in the United States, and even in Europe, only the wealthiest people (consequently the most educated) went to study at a university. These people would then become among the wealthiest people in the country, who would offer a boat load of endowments to the universities that they've attended. Having a lot of money does wonders for a school.. you'll be able to fund research, attract the brightest scholars/students, etc. So I suppose that the "oldest schools in America" had a head start in this process, which is why they're considered one of the best schools for a person to go to.

Although schools like Stanford are relatively new, the founder of the school invested all his money into getting it all started (after getting rejected from Harvard for a deal that he was trying to pull on getting one of his family members' name on one of their buildings).

Please forgive my crappy English.

EDIT: I thought I'd include this as well:

Harvard Endowment: 60 billion
Yale: 40 billion
My undergraduate University (Large Public): 1 billion.

echoi

Postby echoi » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:08 am

you gain 2" on your cock

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:10 am

echoi wrote:you gain 2" on your cock

That's rather substantial. Because I only have 2" on my cock!

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:29 am

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
[1L]Hopeful wrote:If you attend a school labeled "Ivy," is there some kind of a reward upon graduation? I thought Ivy just meant "one of the oldest schools in America." Am I missing something here? What's the big deal?

In terms of lay prestige, "ivy" is pretty up there... "One of the oldest schools in America" actually means a lot. Long ago, in the United States, and even in Europe, only the wealthiest people (consequently the most educated) went to study at a university. These people would then become among the wealthiest people in the country, who would offer a boat load of endowments to the universities that they've attended. Having a lot of money does wonders for a school.. you'll be able to fund research, attract the brightest scholars/students, etc. So I suppose that the "oldest schools in America" had a head start in this process, which is why they're considered one of the best schools for a person to go to.

Although schools like Stanford are relatively new, the founder of the school invested all his money into getting it all started (after getting rejected from Harvard for a deal that he was trying to pull on getting one of his family members' name on one of their buildings).

Those endowment estimates are way off. Harvard is more like 40 billion and Yale is around 20. Also, outside of HYP, the endowments drop dramatically to numbers quite comparable to their non-Ivy peers. To be honest, outside of the Top 3, the Ivy distinction is very overblown. There are so many schools that are at least as impressive as most of the Ivies (Stanford, MIT, CalTech, Chicago, Duke, etc.) that often the distinction just seems like an attempt for non-HYP Ivies to associate themselves with the Big 3.

Oh yeah, and it's a sports conference.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:33 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:

Those endowment estimates are way off. Harvard is more like 40 billion and Yale is around 20. Also, outside of HYP, the endowments drop dramatically to numbers quite comparable to their non-Ivy peers. To be honest, outside of the Top 3, the Ivy distinction is very overblown. There are so many schools that are at least as impressive as most of the Ivies (Stanford, MIT, CalTech, Chicago, Duke, etc.) that often the distinction just seems like an attempt for non-HYP Ivies to associate themselves with the Big 3.

Well thanks a lot guy, you made me lose my 2"

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:38 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:

This

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:27 am

AngryAvocado wrote:it's a sports conference.

And, really, not a very good one. You see better football at most high schools.

AtticusFinch

Postby AtticusFinch » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 am

Yes, it's called a job.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:11 am

[1L]Hopeful wrote:If you attend a school labeled "Ivy," is there some kind of a reward upon graduation?

Yes. In addition to your JD you will receive a trophy.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 am

Fancy Pants wrote:
[1L]Hopeful wrote:If you attend a school labeled "Ivy," is there some kind of a reward upon graduation?

That does it! Now I am going to transfer to Cornell after 1L just like they told me to in their rejection letter - I WANT A TROPHY!

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 am

Halibut6 wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:

That does it! Now I am going to transfer to Cornell after 1L just like they told me to in their rejection letter - I WANT A TROPHY!

The Cornell trophy is the smallest. I'd go for UPenn at least

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:00 pm

AtticusFinch wrote:

Yes, it's called a job.

Your avatar brings a great deal of dignity and class to this forum.

AtticusFinch

Postby AtticusFinch » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Sogui wrote:
AtticusFinch wrote:

Yes, it's called a job.

Wow, you believe it does all that? Maybe I should attach it to my resume. What do you think?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:34 pm

AtticusFinch wrote:
Sogui wrote:
AtticusFinch wrote:

Yes, it's called a job.

Wow, you believe it does all that? Maybe I should attach it to my resume. What do you think?

I think you should do so if you and I are competing for the same job.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:30 pm

it's a substandard sports conference... personally I prefer the SEC, sometimes the CAA and Big East depending on sports, division etc

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Why would you ever like the CAA, unless you go/went to a member school?

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Borhas wrote:it's a substandard sports conference... personally I prefer the SEC, sometimes the CAA and Big East depending on sports, division etc

Pft. Patriot League ftw.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Why would you ever like the CAA, unless you go/went to a member school?

I go to a member school

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:42 pm

kittenmittons wrote:The Cornell trophy is the smallest. I'd go for UPenn at least

I looked it up, don't go for Cornell, you get this lame one:

--ImageRemoved--

And for all you Yale Gunners out there, this is what you have to look forward to:

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:49 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:The Cornell trophy is the smallest. I'd go for UPenn at least

I looked it up, don't go for Cornell, you get this lame one:

--ImageRemoved--

And for all you Yale Gunners out there, this is what you have to look forward to:

If you drink of it you will never be unemployed. But if you leave the shadow of mommy and daddy after drinking, you will grow hideously old without access to your trust fund.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:07 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Those endowment estimates are way off. Harvard is more like 40 billion and Yale is around 20. Also, outside of HYP, the endowments drop dramatically to numbers quite comparable to their non-Ivy peers. To be honest, outside of the Top 3, the Ivy distinction is very overblown. There are so many schools that are at least as impressive as most of the Ivies (Stanford, MIT, CalTech, Chicago, Duke, etc.) that often the distinction just seems like an attempt for non-HYP Ivies to associate themselves with the Big 3.

Stanford's endowment is fucking enormous; in fact, it's significantly larger than Princeton's and either very close to or larger than Yale's. Harvard's is the biggest by far. All endowments have taken a hit recently, but Stanford's has fared relatively well because so much of the school's money is tied to Silicon Valley tech (Google, Yahoo, HP all have very close ties to Stanford), which is faring better as an industry than most.

Also, this is a total urban legend. It did not happen:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:Although schools like Stanford are relatively new, the founder of the school invested all his money into getting it all started (after getting rejected from Harvard for a deal that he was trying to pull on getting one of his family members' name on one of their buildings).

Believe me, people at Harvard would have had a very clear idea of who Leland Stanford was. He founded Stanford in honor of his son (which is why the school's official name is Leland Stanford Junior University), who died in Europe of TB or something.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:16 pm

crackberry wrote:Believe me, people at Harvard would have had a very clear idea of who Leland Stanford was. He founded Stanford in honor of his son (which is why the school's official name is Leland Stanford Junior University), who died in Europe of TB or something.

As Stanford is not an Ivy League, you are only awarded with a Junior Trophy upon graduation, as befitting of the official name:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”