So, Let the Waitlisting and Waiting Begin. Just Wait.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
qualster

So, Let the Waitlisting and Waiting Begin. Just Wait.

Postby qualster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 am

So, here is what is happening, from what I can gather. People are throwing out more apps than normal and schools are admitting many unlikely to attend while holding/waitlisting a fair number who will later be pulled from the waitlist. People with 167 LSAT scores and 3.5 GPAs ain't dreaming of going to Wisconsin or American. Seriously, most of them are just not that into the idea. They are waiting for Boston U, Minnesota, or George Washington to come through with an acceptance. When those schools do offer spots, the levee will break and a chain reaction will begin. Well, not quite. I guess it starts with the people with 170 range scores. 170-ish scorers who are waiting for Vandy, UCLA, and some of the T14 to give them the invite are waiting for 170+ scorers to take a seat. When those with 170+ scores who were admitted to 8 or 9 T20 schools earlier in the cycle choose one school, this will all begin.

Sure, this is kind of what I hope. But I'm pretty sure this is the deal. Apps are way, way up and the increase is disproportionate to the increase in total applicants. Am I completely wrong? Partially wrong? Close to being right? Of course this is all speculation.

Schools like Depaul are probably receiving apps from 164 LSAT scorers right now, waitlisting the 160 scorers they'll be hoping to land in a couple of months.

existenz

Re: So, Let the Waitlisting and Waiting Begin. Just Wait.

Postby existenz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 am

The schools have been doing this for decades, so I'm sure the slight bump in apps this year isn't going to throw off their formulas by that much. Don't expect schools to take twice as many folks off the waitlist as in years past. Looking at LSN, it is nothing new for people to apply to 10-15 different schools (or more). That said, this is a good reminder to withdraw from schools that you won't attend and don't need for scholly leverage.

qualster

Re: So, Let the Waitlisting and Waiting Begin. Just Wait.

Postby qualster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:39 am

existenz wrote:The schools have been doing this for decades, so I'm sure the slight bump in apps this year isn't going to throw off their formulas by that much. Don't expect schools to take twice as many folks off the waitlist as in years past. Looking at LSN, it is nothing new for people to apply to 10-15 different schools (or more). That said, this is a good reminder to withdraw from schools that you won't attend and don't need for scholly leverage.

Maybe you're right. I'm probably wrong.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”