Why do Third Tier and Fourth Tier Law Schools even exist? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AffirmativeOffense

New

Re: Why do Third Tier and Fourth Tier Law Schools even exist?

Post by AffirmativeOffense » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:05 pm

im_blue wrote:
AffirmativeOffense wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:Worst logic ever if you know anything about Canadian crime figures.
Perhaps you should educate us.
He's probably referring to the much lower crime rate in Canada, which requires fewer lawyers to deal with it.
The crime rate is very similar (per capita) with the exception of violent crime, which makes up a fraction of the overall crime rate. Per wikipedia: Since violent crimes are a smaller fraction of all crimes, the difference between the two countries is less than the homicide rate might make it seem, and the overall rates are generally close.

So again, I think he should educate us all about how the crime rate in Canada leads them to have a bit more the half as many lawyers per capita.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 pm

im_blue wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:Worst logic ever if you know anything about Canadian crime figures.
He's probably referring to the much lower crime rate in Canada, which requires fewer lawyers to deal with it.
Yea.

And yea... you generally do a lot more with a law degree than a med degree.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:07 pm

im_blue wrote:
The crime rate is very similar (per capita) with the exception of violent crime, which makes up a fraction of the overall crime rate. Per wikipedia: Since violent crimes are a smaller fraction of all crimes, the difference between the two countries is less than the homicide rate might make it seem, and the overall rates are generally close.

So again, I think he should educate us all about how the crime rate in Canada leads them to have a bit more the half as many lawyers per capita.
Oooh I know about the crime in Canada! we learned about it in psych. it's because they're further apart so they're less likely to commit crimes against each other (psych is so freakin brilliant). and when it's hot down south there are more crimes. because it puts people in a bad mood. cold weather also puts people in a bad mood, but they tend to stay inside then. so it doesn't hold for that situation.

AffirmativeOffense

New

Post by AffirmativeOffense » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:11 pm

sibley wrote:
Oooh I know about the crime in Canada! we learned about it in psych. it's because they're further apart so they're less likely to commit crimes against each other (psych is so freakin brilliant). and when it's hot down south there are more crimes. because it puts people in a bad mood. cold weather also puts people in a bad mood, but they tend to stay inside then. so it doesn't hold for that situation.
I think you missed the point of what I said. The crime rates are very close per capita. The other guy's assertion was that we have almost twice as many lawyers per capita compared to canada because our crime rate is supposedly so much higher. That is not the case.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:12 pm

im_blue wrote:

Well you Wikipedia educating is kicking ass right now... but if you insist...

90% of Canadians live within 8% of Canada. That means that roughly (give or take) 90% of Canadian crime takes place within that same small landmass. In the U.S., we throw attorneys all over the place because we don't have the artic circle to live in.

So to prove my original point: U.S. needs more attorneys because we are spread out. Canada doesn't because they aren't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:13 pm

sibley wrote:
I think you missed the point of what I said. The crime rates are very close per capita. The other guy's assertion was that we have almost twice as many lawyers per capita compared to canada because our crime rate is supposedly so much higher. That is not the case.
I think you missed the point of sarcasm in general. :)

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:13 pm

sibley wrote:

Whoa bud. I never said per capita. YOU said per capita.

AffirmativeOffense

New

Post by AffirmativeOffense » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
sibley wrote:

Are you an idiot? You were responding to a post that quoted per capita figures for lawyers in canada vs US. The whole discussion since that point has been on per capita figures, which is the only relevant figure.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:20 pm

sibley wrote:
im_blue wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:And... no. We can not afford to get rid of schools. Why are there so many people going to law school? Because a law school plaque on your wall does more than make you an attorney. A person goes to med school to become a doctor. A person goes to law school to become a lawyer, teacher, politician, businessman, entrepreneur, etc.
TINTCR

What do yall think of people who can't get into med school in the states so they go to the caribbean? I have two acquaintances doing this... one is married to a friend of mine, the other is as-good-as dating my ex boyfriend. One's in Grand Bahama, the other's in Granada. Because they just wanted med school so dern bad, I guess.
It would give me pause if the doctor I went to told me he went to a med school in the Caribbean. I don't know a lot about it but I know its a lot easier to get into. Some of the state med schools don't seem THAT hard to get into. http://www.mcattestscores.com/usmedical ... esGPA.html I mean some schools have avg. GPA's in the low 3's and MCAT score avg in the 30th to 50th percentile...--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:23 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
sibley wrote:

Are you an idiot? You were responding to a post that quoted per capita figures for lawyers in canada vs US. The whole discussion since that point has been on per capita figures, which is the only relevant figure.

Right... you said it.

90% of Canadians live within 8% of Canada. That means that roughly (give or take) 90% of Canadian crime takes place within that same small landmass. In the U.S., we throw attorneys all over the place because we don't have the artic circle to live in.

So to prove my original point: U.S. needs more attorneys because we are spread out. Canada doesn't because they aren't.

You gunna respond?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Doritos wrote:
sibley wrote:
im_blue wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:And... no. We can not afford to get rid of schools. Why are there so many people going to law school? Because a law school plaque on your wall does more than make you an attorney. A person goes to med school to become a doctor. A person goes to law school to become a lawyer, teacher, politician, businessman, entrepreneur, etc.
TINTCR

What do yall think of people who can't get into med school in the states so they go to the caribbean? I have two acquaintances doing this... one is married to a friend of mine, the other is as-good-as dating my ex boyfriend. One's in Grand Bahama, the other's in Granada. Because they just wanted med school so dern bad, I guess.
It would give me pause if the doctor I went to told me he went to a med school in the Caribbean. I don't know a lot about it but I know its a lot easier to get into. Some of the state med schools don't seem THAT hard to get into. http://www.mcattestscores.com/usmedical ... esGPA.html I mean some schools have avg. GPA's in the low 3's and MCAT score avg in the 30th to 50th percentile...--LinkRemoved--
the one married to my friend was offered a scholarship with living stipend... but I don't know if that would be worth it to me. what's the least a doctor can make if they don't work in a clinic? like 100k?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 pm

bees wrote:
sibley wrote:

=) you're my new friend because of this. and your sn is about bees and your avatar is about sheep. that makes you my bffl. ...really, though. that would have really annoyed me ^ and I would have spent time defending myself for no reason.

AffirmativeOffense

New

Post by AffirmativeOffense » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 pm

BruceBarr wrote: Right... you said it.

You gunna respond?
Are you seriously going to law school??

The urban population of the U.S. is 81%. The urban population of Canada is 81% according to the stats I just looked up.
Last edited by AffirmativeOffense on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 pm

sibley wrote:
bees wrote:
sibley wrote:

=) you're my new friend because of this. and your sn is about bees and your avatar is about sheep. that makes you my bffl. ...really, though. that would have really annoyed me ^ and I would have spent time defending myself for no reason.
and then you would get proved wrong defending yourself because "Wikipedia says so"

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:30 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
sibley wrote:
bees wrote:

and then you would get proved wrong defending yourself because "Wikipedia says so"
\

and then I would have gone on a tangent that I couldn't reconcile with my values. because i would say the stater of that argument was inherently wrong. bc everyone else learned to use the sources from wiki (whether or not they read them), not wiki itself, back in high school.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:34 pm

You gunna respond?

The urban population of the U.S. is 81%. The urban population of Canada is 81% according to the stats I just looked up.

Yea. A good one at that.

In Canada, an urban area is an area that has more than 400 people per square kilometre and has more than 1,000 people. In the U.S. it's 10,000 per square mile. Start doing the math.

Oh... and accorcding to the census bureau, U.S. is 70% urban. So where are you going to law school? Is Wikipedia a credible source there?

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 pm

sibley wrote:
and then I would have gone on a tangent that I couldn't reconcile with my values. because i would say the stater of that argument was inherently wrong. bc everyone else learned to use the sources from wiki (whether or not they read them), not wiki itself, back in high school.
Oh... i miss high school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AffirmativeOffense

New

Post by AffirmativeOffense » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 pm

BruceBarr wrote:

You gunna respond?

Yea. A good one at that.

In Canada, an urban area is an area that has more than 400 people per square kilometre and has more than 1,000 people. In the U.S. it's 10,000 per square mile. Start doing the math.

Oh... and accorcding to the census bureau, U.S. is 70% urban. So where are you going to law school? Is Wikipedia a credible source there?
Is this a troll account? We're talking about lawyers per capita. The urbanization rate is nearly identical.

EDIT: My stats come from the UN Population Division paper for both countries (2007 edition).

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm

BruceBarr wrote:

You gunna respond?

Yea. A good one at that.

Is this a troll account?

EDIT: My stats come from the UN Population Division paper for both countries (2007 edition).
I feel kind of bad that my Us vs. Canada comparison caused a heated disagreement.

I'm thinking that the population density difference, while certainly a factor to consider, shouldn't be a good enough reason for there to be such a disparity.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Which is a 34 page paper that I doubt you read and, ironically, the first quoted source on Wikipedia.

And yes. I'm a troll, thanks for asking.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:45 pm

qualster wrote:
I feel kind of bad that my Us vs. Canada comparison caused a heated disagreement.

I'm thinking that the population density difference, while certainly a factor to consider, shouldn't be a good enough reason for there to be such a disparity.

Welcome to TLS when kids quote wiki sites.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AffirmativeOffense

New

Post by AffirmativeOffense » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm

BruceBarr wrote:

Which is a 34 page paper that I doubt you read and, ironically, the first quoted source on Wikipedia.

It's 244 pages and the chart is on page 86.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:48 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
qualster wrote:

Welcome to TLS when kids quote wiki sites.

raise your hand if you were in model un =)

I was. I never talked. because I would have gotten super frustrated... because of things like this =P

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:49 pm

BruceBarr wrote:

http://www.un.org/esa/population/meetin ... PopDiv.pdf

Here it is.

AffirmativeOffense

New

Post by AffirmativeOffense » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:

http://www.un.org/esa/population/meetin ... PopDiv.pdf

Here it is.
Here it is: http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http: ... ts_web.pdf

Scroll to page 86.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”