Do law schools care about what languages you speak?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Do law schools care about what languages you speak?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 38

EdmundBurke23

Re: Do law schools care about what languages you speak?

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:42 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:Granted knowing multiple languages will probably get you relegated to heavy document review of foreign language material once you are employed.

I'm actually very interested in this point. I noticed that a lot of foreign language doc review projects are being handed out to temps, but does anyone know of any cases, or at least the possibility of, full-time associates handling foreign language doc reviews?

At this point, I have virtually no reason to believe that being fluent in an Asian language that's not Chinese (Korean) is of any use for my legal career.

I do, on one of my cases @ a V10. We have a single associate on the case who has been hit with virtually all of the Spanish documents since he joined the firm. We had previously sent Spanish to outside vendors but one time the tab for three boxes of translations came out to be almost 200k and the partner wasn't pleased.

That's very nice to hear:D

How did the billable hours come into play with the spanish-speaking associate? Is the V10 that you've worked with located in the U.S. (If so, which city)?

bceagles182

Re: Do law schools care about what languages you speak?

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:51 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:Granted knowing multiple languages will probably get you relegated to heavy document review of foreign language material once you are employed.

I'm actually very interested in this point. I noticed that a lot of foreign language doc review projects are being handed out to temps, but does anyone know of any cases, or at least the possibility of, full-time associates handling foreign language doc reviews?

At this point, I have virtually no reason to believe that being fluent in an Asian language that's not Chinese (Korean) is of any use for my legal career.

I do, on one of my cases @ a V10. We have a single associate on the case who has been hit with virtually all of the Spanish documents since he joined the firm. We had previously sent Spanish to outside vendors but one time the tab for three boxes of translations came out to be almost 200k and the partner wasn't pleased.

That's very nice to hear:D

How did the billable hours come into play with the spanish-speaking associate? Is the V10 that you've worked with located in the U.S. (If so, which city)?

Not sure if staying in house would save money in the long run but at a bare minimum the costs are less apparent to the client than if one continued handing them massive bills from vendors for translations. This way an attorney can simply bill the time as "doc review".

The firm is in NYC although I can't really get deeper into it without violating some ethical standards.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”