Deferring Admission to USC Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deem

New

Deferring Admission to USC Law School

Post by deem » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if any of you have tried to defer for a year from usc law school. I read on their site that their graduate programs do not offer deferrals (and I assumed this includes JD program), but I figured I'd ask if anyone has been able to or knows how difficult it is (if they let you at all). Thanks for any help.

musicfor18

Silver

Re: Deferring Admission to USC Law School

Post by musicfor18 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:19 am

Are you still looking for info on this? I may have to defer, so I spoke with the admissions office and was told that they consider deferrals on a case-by-case basis. To request one, you do have to say in writing that you aren't holding any other seat deposits, that you won't apply to any other schools during the year off, and that you will enroll the following Fall. They also told me that "scholarship may not be deferred." I'm not sure whether this means scholarships may or may no be deferred (on a case-by-case basis) or that scholarships WILL not be deferred.

Hope this helps!

afghan007

Bronze

Post by afghan007 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:21 am

Admission deferments are
considered on a case-by-case basis and are granted for one year only. If you would
like to request a deferment, please send me letter petitioning a deferral. Your
letter should describe your plans during the deferment period and include the
following commitments:

- that you are not holding a space at another law school.
- that you will not apply for admission at another law school during your
deferment.
- that you fully intend to enroll at USC Law in Fall 2011.

It is also important for you to know that scholarship awards may not be deferred and
you will need to reapply for financial aid.

Lastly, if you are granted a deferment, you will need to submit a commitment deposit
of $500 on May 1, 2010, a second deposit of $500 due May 1, 2011 and a final $250
deposit July 1, 2011 (for a total tuition credit of $1,250).

Deferral petitions will be finalized after May 11, 2010.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:24 am

Do you interpret the bit about scholarship to mean "will not be deferred" or "might not be deferred"?

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:11 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Do you interpret the bit about scholarship to mean "will not be deferred" or "might not be deferred"?
bump bump. Interested to know other people's thoughts on this.

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:00 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Do you interpret the bit about scholarship to mean "will not be deferred" or "might not be deferred"?
I read the above as "might not be deferred" given its context with it being necessary to re-apply for financial aid.

To be safe though, you have to look at it this way: if you're fulfilling all of their other requirements, you need to be really prepared to not get a scholarship for the next year. At the point that you do everything they say, they don't necessarily gain anything from re-offering you a scholarship. You've essentially signed an ED agreement, and they won't need a scholarship to persuade you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”