Texas Law Schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jgrin

Bronze

Texas Law Schools

Post by jgrin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:25 pm

This is a thread for those applying to law schools in Texas to ask questions or seek advice about some of the Texas schools.

I'll start...

GPA: 3.47
LSAT: 153

I am applying to the Part Time programs at SMU and UH because of my low LSAT score to give myself a fighting chance at being admitted to one of the tier one schools in Texas. Anybody know what sort of shot I'll have?

I wrote some solid statements, so I think those could help persuade an admissions committee to let me in; but don't know how much weight these schools give to those factors. Anybody know?

Feel free to leave comments and ask questions about the lone star state's law schools.

ec2xs

Bronze

Re: Texas Law Schools

Post by ec2xs » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Not a great shot, IMO. Also, I should point out that Houston isn't tier 1.

Do you need to go to law school this year? Could you retake the LSAT and reapply for 2011?

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:29 pm

No idea what your shots are but I would highly recommend a re-take...

How much time and preparation did you put into that 153?

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:31 pm

ec2xs wrote:Not a great shot, IMO. Also, I should point out that Houston isn't tier 1.

Do you need to go to law school this year? Could you retake the LSAT and reapply for 2011?
I don't have to, but would like to. I was scoring in the mid 160s for all my practice tests but just got bad test anxiety on test day. I know I'll get into most of the other schools in Texas that are less prestigious, but always wanted to go to one of the better ones. I would commit to re-taking the LSAT if i could get a decent job to support myself for a year, but that is easier said than done.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Sogui wrote:No idea what your shots are but I would highly recommend a re-take...

How much time and preparation did you put into that 153?
i spent about 8 months studying and was doing very well. RC was always a killer for me, missing about 8-10, but on LG i usually didn't miss any, and on LR i would usually miss 5-7, so i would average in between about -18 and minus -24 on the whole test which is in the 160s. I think on actual test day, i didn't do well on LG section and missed around 8, which I had never done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

ec2xs wrote:Not a great shot, IMO. Also, I should point out that Houston isn't tier 1.
UH law isnt tier 1? could have fooled me

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+3

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:40 pm

jgrin wrote:

I don't have to, but would like to. I was scoring in the mid 160s for all my practice tests but just got bad test anxiety on test day. I know I'll get into most of the other schools in Texas that are less prestigious, but always wanted to go to one of the better ones. I would commit to re-taking the LSAT if i could get a decent job to support myself for a year, but that is easier said than done.

UT: Not a chance
Baylor: Not a chance
SMU: Possibly, but probably not.
Texas Wesleyan: Definitely
Texas Tech: Likely
St. Mary's: Sure thing
South Texas: Sure thing
UH: Likely
Texas Southern: Likely

The problem is that out of all the Texas schools, UT, Baylor, and SMU are the only ones worth trying to go to. Like another poster said...can you just re-take and apply for 2011?
Last edited by mpasi on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:41 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

I consider T1 the top 50, T2 51-100, and TTT and TTTT for the unranked. Just personal preference, obv not in line with USNWR.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:46 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

I consider T1 the top 50, T2 51-100, and TTT and TTTT for the unranked. Just personal preference, obv not in line with USNWR.
oh i agree. its just confusing to state a personal opinion as if its the objective fact. it tends to mislead and confuse ppl, you know, who actually dont know what you're thinking in your head <obv not directed at you in this case, or anyone in particular>
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:50 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

oh i agree. its just confusing to state a personal opinion as if its the objective fact. it tends to mislead and confuse ppl, you know, you actually dont know what you're thinking in your head <obv not directed at you in this case, or anyone in particular>[/quote]

Agreed. At any rate, OP should definitely retake, given the 153 was due to nerves and a PT score on test day would greatly improve chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”