Does having an acting career help you get into law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Does having an acting career help you get into law school?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 81

rx3r

Bronze

Re: Does having an acting career help you get into law school?

Post by rx3r » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:32 pm

rx3r wrote:
andyman wrote:
rx3r wrote:If you are who I think you are via Imdb, your acting career is thus far nothing more than an interesting soft. I say this having a short film credit. Besides, everyone in LA has a credit. My LSAT instructor had several, in fact.
The purpose of this thread was to ask if an acting career would assist me in getting into law school, NOT be the driving force behind my candidacy.
Well, I don't think it's going to do much for you other than be "interesting." Not to disparage your work or anything. It's just mildly interesting, and shows you have a talent. I'd equate it to someone who was talented at something else that wouldn't necessarily be relevant to law school studies, i.e. being in a decent band.
I guess what I'm getting at is that it's pretty much going to function like WE. It might have a small impact as far as getting a file noticed, but beyond that I don't think film does much for an application (personally).

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Ragged wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:I got Aric Bordin!
Love that movie.
:evil: Fucking Aric Bordin!!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:34 pm

hellokitty wrote:
toolshed wrote:
andyman wrote:
hellokitty wrote:This is off topic, but I love the Step-Up movies and if I were an adcom, I'd totally let you in. 8)
thanks babe
Ew.
Lol, I was just being honest. The first one reminds me so much of my senior year in high school. Anyways haha
I think the "ew" was in response to "I'd totally let you in." Cute 'tar though. Maybe you'll let me in?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 pm

It's not as much about what you've done -- it's what you've learned from it. 8 months is not a long time. If you build up your career over several years and THEN apply with more under your belt, it will be a stronger soft factor.

But at the end of the day, it's all about your GPA, LSAT, and how well you write your Personal Statement.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:49 pm

JazzOne wrote:
hellokitty wrote:
toolshed wrote:
andyman wrote: thanks babe
Ew.
Lol, I was just being honest. The first one reminds me so much of my senior year in high school. Anyways haha
I think the "ew" was in response to "I'd totally let you in." Cute 'tar though. Maybe you'll let me in?
The "ew" was directed at this. Just reminds me of dudes in LA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 pm

andyman wrote:I...will have a small part in the upcoming movie Step Up 3-D.
This is not acting. This is the opposite of acting.

EDIT: With quote from Step Up 2

"I remember the first time I saw someone move like they were from another planet, I couldn't keep my eyes away. I was little mom took me to a jam session in the neighborhood, it started off small but word spread and soon some of the best dancers around were showing up to compete in something they eventually called the streets. It became home, I got a front row seat to history. I wanted to glide and spin and fly like they did, but it didn't come easy. My mom would tell me don't give up, just be you, because life's too short to be anybody else. She was right. When I was 16 my mom got sick and in a couple months she was gone. Everything changed, including the streets."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023481/quotes
Last edited by holydonkey on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 pm

toolshed wrote:
toolshed wrote:
Ew.
I stand corrected.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:58 pm

JazzOne wrote:
toolshed wrote:
toolshed wrote:
Ew.
I stand corrected.
For the phrase you indicated, I believe "That's what she said" would be the appropriate response.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:04 pm

andyman wrote:Plus, I had a small part in Step-Up 3D as a principle actor. Stop hating, loser.
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:11 pm

:lol:

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Wait a second -- you're 22 and you joined TLS 1.5 years ago?

How long have you been planning on law school?

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Wait a second -- you're 22 and you joined TLS 1.5 years ago?

How long have you been planning on law school?

since high school

littleconcerned

New

Post by littleconcerned » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:22 pm

My two cents. I have been a professional actor for the last six years. Member of SAG and Equity and have had a principle role in an Emmy award winning film. I applied for law schools this year, 164 lsat 3.4gpa, and I think all the acting did was give me an interesting soft. Schools weren't pounding down my door or begging me to choose their school. As a matter of fact, I think my day to day life experience has benefited me far more than any of my acting experience.

I will agree with other comments, if you are going to pursue acting--then pursue acting. If you want to pursue a career in law, then be prepared to put acting on the back burner. That was hard on my super inflated ego, which actors tend to have, and from your comments I don't think you are exempt. ;) It doesn't mean acting is forever out of the picture, but be prepared to switch your focus.

Good luck to you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:26 pm

andyman wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:Image

i take that as star struck :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I take offense at that :P ...

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:26 pm

littleconcerned wrote:My two cents. I have been a professional actor for the last six years. Member of SAG and Equity and have had a principle role in an Emmy award winning film. I applied for law schools this year, 164 lsat 3.4gpa, and I think all the acting did was give me an interesting soft. Schools weren't pounding down my door or begging me to choose their school. As a matter of fact, I think my day to day life experience has benefited me far more than any of my acting experience.

I will agree with other comments, if you are going to pursue acting--then pursue acting. If you want to pursue a career in law, then be prepared to put acting on the back burner. That was hard on my super inflated ego, which actors tend to have, and from your comments I don't think you are exempt. ;) It doesn't mean acting is forever out of the picture, but be prepared to switch your focus.

Good luck to you
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I would just like to emphasize, once again, that I only act for fun, and that I do not live my life with the anticipation that I will one day become a famed actor.

littleconcerned

New

Post by littleconcerned » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:32 pm

Ha. I'm glad you don't. 99.9% of them that do waste their lives doing so. Enjoy it while you do it and hope more opportunities come, in the meantime, move forward with your life. Theatre/Film will never be out of my life. I am passionate about it and love it, however I am also passionate about providing for my family and doing so in a stable way.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:46 pm

littleconcerned wrote:My two cents. I have been a professional actor for the last six years. Member of SAG and Equity and have had a principle role in an Emmy award winning film. I applied for law schools this year, 164 lsat 3.4gpa, and I think all the acting did was give me an interesting soft. Schools weren't pounding down my door or begging me to choose their school. As a matter of fact, I think my day to day life experience has benefited me far more than any of my acting experience.

Good luck to you
It was mildly amusing at first, but why don't actors know the difference between "principle" and "principal"?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:46 pm

i would rather get paid to act like an attorney

littleconcerned

New

Post by littleconcerned » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Good luck to you[/quote]
It was mildly amusing at first, but why don't actors know the difference between "principle" and "principal"?[/quote]

Although it was never amusing to begin with, why do certain users on TLS find it necessary to scrutinize text for misspellings and semantic errors?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:13 pm

littleconcerned wrote:Although it was never amusing to begin with, why do certain users on TLS find it necessary to scrutinize text for misspellings and semantic errors?
Well, it was amusing to me. Perhaps you have no sense of humor. Gee, why would a bunch of future lawyers care about semantics? I can't seem to figure it out!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
andyman wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:Image

i take that as star struck :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I take offense at that :P ...
Good thing your name is not "flame" you'd be offended all the time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

littleconcerned

New

Post by littleconcerned » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 pm

JazzOne wrote:
littleconcerned wrote:Although it was never amusing to begin with, why do certain users on TLS find it necessary to scrutinize text for misspellings and semantic errors?
Well, it was amusing to me. Perhaps you have no sense of humor. Gee, why would a bunch of future lawyers care about semantics? I can't seem to figure it out!
You are absolutely right, I have no sense of humor. Let me know what law school you are attending, that way I can be sure and avoid the course "Correcting Typos On Web Forums."

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:40 pm

Meh, I'll be nice. Deleted.
Last edited by JazzOne on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:40 pm

andyman wrote:I've taken noteworthy acting classes and will have a small part in the upcoming movie Step Up 3-D. I also have a few noteworthy background roles which I have also included in my resume.

When admission council members see this with an already impressive resume, will they be star struck or is it irrelevant?
This might just get you rejected straight out based on the performance of the last two movies. Very sad that I even know that much....... :D

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:45 pm

JazzOne wrote: lol

As if you could get into the school I attend. I guess you do have a sense of humor after all!
PoliticalJunkie wrote: This might just get you rejected straight out based on the performance of the last two movies. Very sad that I even know that much....... :D
LULZ

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”