0L Internship at Top 100 Firm? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SwineState

New

0L Internship at Top 100 Firm?

Post by SwineState » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 am

I'm a junior at a Mid Atlantic state school and I just got an offer for an internship from an ILRG 250 firm that has around 500 attorneys. I would be working for the firm's pro bono attorney, and she assured me that I would be doing substantive work (apparently filing is not part of the job description). One drawback is that the position is unpaid. This is the first offer I've gotten this spring, and I don't want to jump too soon in case a paid position comes by. Can anyone give me some pros/cons for taking this internship?

SwineState

New

Re: 0L Internship at Top 100 Firm?

Post by SwineState » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 am

Come on now.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:46 am

SwineState wrote:I'm a junior at a Mid Atlantic state school
UPenn?

It sounds like a great experience and a good soft for your future application to law school. If you don't need money, I'd take it. If you need money, do something else.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:52 am

SwineState wrote:I'm a junior at a Mid Atlantic state school and I just got an offer for an internship from an ILRG 250 firm that has around 500 attorneys. I would be working for the firm's pro bono attorney, and she assured me that I would be doing substantive work (apparently filing is not part of the job description). One drawback is that the position is unpaid. This is the first offer I've gotten this spring, and I don't want to jump too soon in case a paid position comes by. Can anyone give me some pros/cons for taking this internship?
It sounds like a cool opportunity, but I wonder how much "substantive work" a 0L can actually do.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:17 pm

JazzOne wrote:
SwineState wrote:I'm a junior at a Mid Atlantic state school and I just got an offer for an internship from an ILRG 250 firm that has around 500 attorneys. I would be working for the firm's pro bono attorney, and she assured me that I would be doing substantive work (apparently filing is not part of the job description). One drawback is that the position is unpaid. This is the first offer I've gotten this spring, and I don't want to jump too soon in case a paid position comes by. Can anyone give me some pros/cons for taking this internship?
It sounds like a cool opportunity, but I wonder how much "substantive work" a 0L can actually do.
I don't know about you, but I like my coffee pretty substantive.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Bosque wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
I don't know about you, but I like my coffee pretty substantive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”