Admissions Chances as In-State vs. Out-of-State applicant

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thatdude222

Admissions Chances as In-State vs. Out-of-State applicant

Postby thatdude222 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Are there any schools that seem to give significant preference to out of state applicants in the admissions process? Also, what schools seem to favor in-state applicants the most (out of state applicants have a harder time getting into)? Aside from numbers...

May be difficult to determine... but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this?

gwuorbust

Re: Admissions Chances as In-State vs. Out-of-State applicant

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm

There can be an advantage. Right now I am thinking of UNC where 75% of the seats are for NC residents and UT-Austin, where there an in-state advantage, though I do not know to what degree.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:33 pm

interesting, I am also wondering if in-state students get more scholly money

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:34 pm

UVA also gives preferences to residents, especially if you have borderline numbers. They also offer scholarship money to residents with good numbers, because they need to fill their quota.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:36 pm

State law requires that 65% of matriculants at UT be residents.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:State law requires that 65% of matriculants at UT be residents.

Can I assume then that most state schools have quotas to fill for in-state residents? Do you know how i could find out?

thatdude222

Postby thatdude222 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:44 pm

I am aware of UT's quota for in-state residents. I've also heard something similar about U of Georgia. Didn't know about North Carolina... 75% wow.

For an applicant with less than stellar numbers I'm wondering where I am at an advantage and disadvantage as an out-of-state applicant.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:48 pm

nick637 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:State law requires that 65% of matriculants at UT be residents.

Can I assume then that most state schools have quotas to fill for in-state residents? Do you know how i could find out?

The information is probably available on the school's websites. Not all state schools have quotas, for instance none of the UC schools in California use resident quotas.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:50 pm

gwuorbust wrote:There can be an advantage. Right now I am thinking of UNC where 75% of the seats are for NC residents and UT-Austin, where there an in-state advantage, though I do not know to what degree.

I believe UT is 66%.

thatdude222 wrote:Are there any schools that seem to give significant preference to out of state applicants in the admissions process? Also, what schools seem to favor in-state applicants the most (out of state applicants have a harder time getting into)? Aside from numbers...

May be difficult to determine... but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this?

Most University of [x] public schools bring in a lot of instate students - this should be obvious.

It is difficult to give you an answer.

From the other reply, it seems as though we are going to use the percentage of the entering class from in-state as a means of comparing whether or not a school favors in-state or out-of-state students.

If that is the case, than any private school within the T100 that would seem attractive to people not from the area.

thatdude222 wrote:I am aware of UT's quota for in-state residents. I've also heard something similar about U of Georgia. Didn't know about North Carolina... 75% wow.

For an applicant with less than stellar numbers I'm wondering where I am at an advantage and disadvantage as an out-of-state applicant.

I have a classmate with a 3.0 170 LA resident who was rejected at UNC.

Honestly you pretty much have to have Duke numbers to get into UNC from out of state.

Nevertheless, most public schools do this.

aznflyingpanda wrote:
nick637 wrote:

The information is probably available on the school's websites. Not all state schools have quotas, for instance none of the UC schools in California use resident quotas.

Apparently the UCs are an exception, but not surprising.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”