Imagine getting Dinged/WL for mistaken LSN or TLS account

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Imagine getting Dinged/WL for mistaken LSN or TLS account

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Do you have access to IP's of users of this site? Law schools and employers certainly don't. And again, you're mixing up the points.

All in all, most of your points hold no bearing on your ability to apparently identify "most" of us.

[strike]I don't have access to it. I can CAPTURE it. I will have to write a script and look through some data but yes I can capture everyone's IP. Legally. And know which IP is whose.[/strike] I am willing to perform unethical tasks in order to achieve my point.

It is not unethical. All websevers capture IP's from all requests. Only if you know what google is doing to everyone. All I have to do is get you to access a file from my webserver. (think of anyway?) Think Avatar? Signature image? image in my posts? My server which serves up the image will record your IP whether I want it or not.

All, you'd need to do is link a picture. Question is how do you know which one of us is associated with each hit?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:45 pm

how do I get someone to look at something on a forum and no one else will be exposed to that picture??? think :mrgreen: how do you keep forum interactions private?

also, the pic can be transparent and so small that no one will know that it is there. Or how about an emoticon? You wouldn't even know that it is an external pic.
Last edited by r6_philly on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:how do I get someone to look at something on a forum and no one else will be exposed to that picture??? think :mrgreen:

Clever girl. Didn't think of that.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:Dont use your real name for you username... pshhh... what idiot would do that?

Yeah, it would take a real marrooon. :P

1. why is so bad to present your real identity online?

2. what difference does it make if said person use the same username/nickname on every profile they have online, like myspace, facebook, other forums, gaming profiles, flickr, etc. It isn't too hard to figure it out at all.

I was kidding. I'm pretty sure the irony is that Bruce Barr uses his real name here.

Ding Ding Ding!!!

Scheveningen

Postby Scheveningen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 am

There is someone whose TLS user name is my first name. More remarkably, there is another whose user name comprises my first initial, the letter k (which is not my middle initial), and my last name! Neither my first name nor my last name are common in the United States, so I hope that adcomms do not make any mistaken assumptions about me on the basis of someone else's posts.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:35 pm

340861325861357 people apply to law school every year.

1 of them is you.

Adcomms don't surf blogs looking to find you. You are not a rare, nor beautiful flower. They don't want to check your myspace, facebook, or know if you voted for Hillary in the primaries. I here they keep busy with the 1947135971357315 applicants.

Clever_User_Name

Postby Clever_User_Name » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:42 am

traehekat wrote:This is why I try not to be a douche online. :lol:

If I ever see HALF of you freaks in person I'll be sure to let you have it.

FTW!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:48 pm

the story here:

http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=84180

reminded me of this post.

the guy said "I want to do X" on his MBA application, and then began posting about how he really wants to do Y. He was admitted and then had the offer rescinded :shock: :shock:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”