Imagine getting Dinged/WL for mistaken LSN or TLS account

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly

Re: Imagine getting Dinged/WL for mistaken LSN or TLS account

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:Dont use your real name for you username... pshhh... what idiot would do that?

Yeah, it would take a real marrooon. :P

1. why is so bad to present your real identity online?

2. what difference does it make if said person use the same username/nickname on every profile they have online, like myspace, facebook, other forums, gaming profiles, flickr, etc. It isn't too hard to figure it out at all.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:Dont use your real name for you username... pshhh... what idiot would do that?

2. what difference does it make if said person use the same username/nickname on every profile they have online, like myspace, facebook, other forums, gaming profiles, flickr, etc. It isn't too hard to figure it out at all.

A poster here got a job interview canceled because he got exposed. That is one reason.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Do what now?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:45 pm

--LinkRemoved--

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:

A poster here got a job interview canceled because he got exposed. That is one reason.

From what I understand from that situation it wouldn't have been a place where I would choose to work anyway. I have turned DOWN enough job offers at interviews. You should only work at places where your harmless personal activities should not be judged.

Although, since my profession IS the web, I must say I have a unique perspective, since my web activities will NEVER impact my job prospect (until I graduate from law school anyway).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:53 pm

But my main point was getting lost. I can figure out who most of you are anyway as is. Takes a little time but if someone want to out someone else, it isn't terribly difficult.

It find it funny for people to call others who use real name morons even though their own identities are just as exposed (they obviously don't think so).

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:

I was kidding. I'm pretty sure the irony is that Bruce Barr uses his real name here.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:But my main point was getting lost. I can figure out who most of you are anyway as is. Takes a little time but if someone want to out someone else, it isn't terribly difficult.

It find it funny for people to call others who use real name morons even though their own identities are just as exposed (they obviously don't think so).

It would not be hard to find out who I am by searching Moose Thompson. I don't do anything I shouldn't so I'm really not worried about it. My post was a joke, but sarcasm is clearly lost on the internets.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:But my main point was getting lost. I can figure out who most of you are anyway as is. Takes a little time but if someone want to out someone else, it isn't terribly difficult.

We've got a regular Sherlock Holmes here.

I call B.S. on the bolded.

Considering this is the field you apparently plan on pursuing, don't you realize that it is actually impossible for you to really tell who any of us are? As was discussed in this thread earlier, what's to keep anyone from posing as someone else?

It's the story of the internet.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:00 pm

SandyC877 wrote:There seems to be pretty solid evidence that Adcoms do browse TLS/LSN and take notice of individual posters.

Is that true? Can you link me to some of that evidence? I just find it hard to believe that adcomms are going to spend time on surfing the web for info on thousands of applicants they have each cycle. (even if its just the 100 borderline candidates)

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:1. why is so bad to present your real identity online?

From what I understand from that situation it wouldn't have been a place where I would choose to work anyway.

Completely irrelevant?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:01 pm

edit: see long post on next page.
Last edited by r6_philly on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:1. why is so bad to present your real identity online?

From what I understand from that situation it wouldn't have been a place where I would choose to work anyway.

Completely irrelevant?

It is not a loss to lose a job opportunity that you wouldn't want after discovering what the company's philosophy? why is it irrelevant, it makes the fact that I lost the job irrelevant.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:

No fucking way... damn.... just damn. Did someone out them to the potential employer or was the employer actively looking through the boards to figure out who the candidate was?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:It is not a loss to lose a job opportunity that you wouldn't want after discovering what the company's philosophy? why is it irrelevant, it makes the fact that I lost the job irrelevant.

It's great that you can cherry-pick your employment opportunities, but lots of us aren't so lucky; some people need to pay the rent, even if it means working for a company that would fire someone for posting online.

You asked why it was an issue to post your info on-line and were given an answer. While it may not apply to you, it has definitely had a marked impact on others' life situations.

As for being able to identify us, I'm tempted (and frightened) to take the bait, as I'm not sure how on Earth you'd be able to identify me (unless you're at the NSA or FBI, in which case I don't know why you're applying to law school after so many years of apparently awesome job opportunities you've turned down at interviews). That said, if you can identify me and PM me my real name (not on the boards, please), I will admit to all in this thread that you were right.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Ragged wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:Dont use your real name for you username... pshhh... what idiot would do that?

No fucking way... damn.... just damn. Did someone out them to the potential employer or was the employer actively looking through the boards to figure out who the candidate was?

It was Testmasters, and they were actively looking through posts to find it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

We've got a regular Sherlock Holmes here.

I call B.S. on the bolded.

Considering this is the field you apparently plan on pursuing, don't you realize that it is actually impossible for you to really tell who any of us are? As was discussed in this thread earlier, what's to keep anyone from posing as someone else?

It's the story of the internet.

I said "most". some people are better with this.

But with most with a little work I can get enough correlating info to figure out who it is. If I have the application data I think I can confidently match *most* persons to a file.

It doesn't stop someone from posting as you, but unless you have a close personal stalker in close physical proximity to you it is easy to rule that out.

Checking the IP that the person who owns the account will show if he is geographically close to you. Most of posters here are in school you should be able to resolve the IP to the school that you attend. I guess if someone in your school is posting as you then I wouldn't be able to tell easily but you then have bigger problems.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Did you retract your offer, R6?

While it is a challenge, I'm not trying to be a jerk -- if you can honestly identify us, I'm seriously curious to see it happen. This has been the substance of this whole discussion -- so if another TLS user can identify me (or someone else), it would be a pretty definitive win. I would stand mega-corrected, and we would all learn a valuable lesson.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:18 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
It was Testmasters, and they were actively looking through posts to find it.

Wow. That sucks. At least it wasn't anything important. Still its some scary shit.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:But with most with a little work I can get enough correlating info to figure out who it is. If I have the application data I think I can confidently match *most* persons to a file.

But you don't have the application data...

r6_philly wrote:It doesn't stop someone from posting as you, but unless you have a close personal stalker in close physical proximity to you it is easy to rule that out.

You're missing the point; I'm saying that there's no way for a third party to identify whether or not it is the person in question. You're colluding two entirely different questions: a) identifying if someone is posting as you and b) a third party (school/employer) confirming that a poster is indeed the person in question when there is almost no way to be sure.

r6_philly wrote:Checking the IP that the person who owns the account will show if he is geographically close to you. Most of posters here are in school you should be able to resolve the IP to the school that you attend. I guess if someone in your school is posting as you then I wouldn't be able to tell easily but you then have bigger problems.

Do you have access to IP's of users of this site? Law schools and employers certainly don't. And again, you're mixing up the points.

All in all, most of your points hold no bearing on your ability to apparently identify "most" of us.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
r6_philly wrote:It is not a loss to lose a job opportunity that you wouldn't want after discovering what the company's philosophy? why is it irrelevant, it makes the fact that I lost the job irrelevant.

It's great that you can cherry-pick your employment opportunities, but lots of us aren't so lucky; some people need to pay the rent, even if it means working for a company that would fire someone for posting online.

You asked why it was an issue to post your info on-line and were given an answer. While it may not apply to you, it has definitely had a marked impact on others' life situations.

As for being able to identify us, I'm tempted (and frightened) to take the bait, as I'm not sure how on Earth you'd be able to identify me (unless you're at the NSA or FBI, in which case I don't know why you're applying to law school after so many years of apparently awesome job opportunities you've turned down at interviews). That said, if you can identify me and PM me my real name (not on the boards, please), I will admit to all in this thread that you were right.

You are a bit difficult since your don't post under the same username. I would have to data mine your posts and that takes a long time since you have almost 1000 that will take some time. However, if I had your application file I can probably match you to the file based on the info I mine out of your posts and match your location based on IP. I am not going to tell you how I can get your IP, it takes a bit of work but if you MUST have be prove that I can get it I can do it later (it will take a little time like I said).

I have not worked for the FBI/NSA however I have worked with the FBI on a hacking case where I figured out who the intruder was and led them to file charges. Today's web technology makes it possible to identify IP unless you use a proxy server. I doubt anyone on here is a hacker, I can say that it wouldn't be too hard.

Why do you think phishing with social engineering tools are so effective, because people don't guard their own identities online. If you want to read my last term's research paper on phishing, computer crime, social engineering and how it all works, let me know I will email it to you.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Do you have access to IP's of users of this site? Law schools and employers certainly don't. And again, you're mixing up the points.

All in all, most of your points hold no bearing on your ability to apparently identify "most" of us.

I don't have access to it. I can CAPTURE it. I will have to write a script and look through some data but yes I can capture everyone's IP. Legally. And know which IP is whose.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Well, I certainly didn't know that about IP's. I stand corrected if it's possible for you to get my IP somehow (and I admittedly know little about that stuff). But you certainly don't have our application files...? So how would you get "most" of our identities, even if you can't find mine?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Well, I certainly didn't know that about IP's. I stand corrected if it's possible for you to get my IP somehow (and I admittedly know little about that stuff). But you certainly don't have our application files...? So how would you get "most" of our identities, even if you can't find mine?

I will PM you. No point arguing in public. I also don't want to disclose anymore info.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

[strike]I don't have access to it. I can CAPTURE it. I will have to write a script and look through some data but yes I can capture everyone's IP. Legally. And know which IP is whose.[/strike] I am willing to perform unethical tasks in order to achieve my point.

It is not unethical. All websevers capture IP's from all requests. Only if you know what google is doing to everyone. All I have to do is get you to access a file from my webserver. (think of anyway?) Think Avatar? Signature image? image in my posts? My server which serves up the image will record your IP whether I want it or not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”